Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What did you do to your jeep today?  October 2018
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do to your jeep today? October 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2018 at 4:11am
Nothing. Today was the day I was supposed to start removing the old motor. I get home and my sons got his Excursion sitting in the way with no water pump. Need the old motor for parts to finish the new one so I’m stuck.
notzach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notzach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2018 at 3:19pm
I finally have the gas tank on my 3B primed, as soon as it stops raining I'll be able to replace the fuel lines, fuel pump and carb.
- 1944 MB "Norm"
- 1960 CJ-3B
sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2018 at 6:34pm
Tried to replace the water pump in the CJ.  One of the bolts snapped off in the block.  Had to drain and pull the radiator. Loosen up belts and take them off. Drill and tap out the bolt and the bolt hole. Then put everything back together. So much for an easy job. Oh well.  Shop time none the less. 
Mark
1946 CJ2A
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2018 at 8:11pm
Wife and I went into Salem to do a little shopping (some natural gas pipe line exploded up in BC so the Asphalt plant is shut down no work today!) So I took it as an opportunity to get my windshield glass to the glass shop to have a new piece cut.

They said it would take 2-3 days and total cost is under $92.00 (sure beats from a supplier) now hoping I can get there before 5 when its ready.

next up is to get my rear drive shaft to SIX STATES to have the new .120" wall tube put on and then Balanced.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2018 at 2:02am
I picked up some magnetic sheets the other day. My Air Raid Warden Civil Defense stickers came in today. So I put them together to dress up my Air Raid Warden jeep. 

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2018 at 2:49am
Nice! Too bad we aren't closer, our 2a's would look great together! 
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
alaskanrocket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaskanrocket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2018 at 6:24pm
Built an alternator bracket for the heap.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2018 at 9:45pm
Alaskanrocket, That looks very nice. I would have expected no less from a millwright.
tufcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2018 at 10:01pm
What did I do on my jeep today?  Well, apparently I blew the engine.  Driving along beautifully and then a clank and loss of power.  Got her home okay (only a couple of miles, luckily).  Pulled the plugs, #3 and #4 are oily.  Haven't taken her apart yet to see if it's a piston, ring, or something else.

I knew it would due for a rebuild sooner rather than later, apparently sooner is now.  :-(

Gives me an excuse to rebuild the tranny (slips out of 2nd occasionally) and add the overdrive (I'll give Herm a call).

On the bright side, she should run better than new once all is complete.

alaskanrocket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaskanrocket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2018 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by tufcj2a tufcj2a wrote:

What did I do on my jeep today?  Well, apparently I blew the engine.  Driving along beautifully and then a clank and loss of power.  Got her home okay (only a couple of miles, luckily).  Pulled the plugs, #3 and #4 are oily.  Haven't taken her apart yet to see if it's a piston, ring, or something else.

I knew it would due for a rebuild sooner rather than later, apparently sooner is now.  :-(

Gives me an excuse to rebuild the tranny (slips out of 2nd occasionally) and add the overdrive (I'll give Herm a call).

BOO! That sucks Cry
LUIS MORALES View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUIS MORALES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2018 at 11:11pm
hi.  put a new engine on the new resurrection project
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2018 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by LUIS MORALES LUIS MORALES wrote:

hi.  put a new engine on the new resurrection project

WOW! I like!
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2018 at 11:24pm
Filled the tank this morning. Over heard others talking about it but no one talked to me directly.

Then backed up traffic driving over the bridge at 43 mph. They wanted to go 55 Lunch time drove it down the hill and spoke with a older fella who said he had a flatfender. We talked for about 5 minutes.

Originally posted by tufcj2a tufcj2a wrote:

That's sucks. My motor is just teasing me by still running and I know I am pressing my luck by still driving it. Good luck with your rebuild.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2018 at 11:54pm
Interesting day. After spending the morning grocery shopping with the wife. I checked my emails and noticed Harbor Freight had the 8 drawer bottom chest I been wanting to add to the tool room on sale ($50 off) so I ran into HF and while there looking at the damn thing decided to also pickup the 7 drawer side chest (which wasn't on sale but then I have never seen it on sale so there) Anyway goober and gomer can barely fit them into the back of my Dakota cause they tried to put them in the long way. I get it all rearraigned (man are they heavy) shut the tailgate and the hatch and off I go.

WAIT A MIN a garage sale sign!!! I swing in looks like a typical old lady trailer park sale......BUT theres a pretty nice Jeep Can sitting there with a MAKE OFFER tag. I ask her what kind of offer is she looking for? Its her sons he's around back. Guy come out I ask the same question he says how about a Buck!!!! I ask is it rusty inside? Answer "don't know"

It has a small diameter spout on it I open it and its almost new inside no flaws in the coating.

I tell him OK no rust how about $10? He's kind of shocked I said well its worth more to me so I feel good and you get a little extra. We shake Its mine.

Will need to repaint the outside but of the 6-7 cans I have now its the nicest inside so it will end up on the back of CHUG.

SO new Tool boxes New Jeep can ++++ day. And while I am stuffing chinese cardboard in the recycle bin FED EX pulls up with my new Grant Horn Button that I am going to modify into pne with a Willys Logo. Photos in my Project thread soon as I get a little washer of Black Micarta made to hold the Logo button I have.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2018 at 12:39am
I have one of those 7 drawer side cabinets. I use it standalone for a lot of my lathe tooling. It is a very nice box. I also have the 5 drawer tool cart. Both are great values.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2018 at 12:52am
Work progressed some more today on getting the old winch setup yanked out to make room for my Ramsey 245R winch and DP-1 PTO. With some minor cutting with a cutoff wheel the winch came out. Surprisingly all the set screws on the driveshaft joints came out without issue.

It does look like I'll have some minor repair work to do to get the front of the frame cleaned up once I cut the C channel bumper off when I go back to the original style.

Here's the whole setup once removed (ignore the clean aluminum PTO case, that wasn't part of the setup).

It's kind of interesting that a previous owner cobbled together this PTO setup. Seems like they must have broke the case on the PTO at some point and replaced it with this. It did work and function as intended.

EMyers View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMyers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2018 at 4:51pm

Another small accomplishment....straightened my warped and bent steering wheel which fortunately had no cracks. It was out of round and one arm was bent. I put it on the steering shaft without the cover tube and hand tightened the nut. I clamped the shaft into the pipe section on the vice. Used an old broom handle as a lever and gently pried until it was round again. I padded the jaws on a pipe wrench and used it on the bent arm. Taped the wheel, bead blasted the steel for prime and paint, 1200 grit wet sanded the plastic, rubbing compound, wax and it looks pretty good

Edited by EMyers - 13 Oct. 2018 at 4:57pm
CJ2A 18450

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/46-cj2a-18450_topic41246_page1.html

flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2018 at 12:37am
Jeep hadn't been started or moved since return from FCT 2017.
Filled carb bowl.
Battery turned engine over...it started right up.
Now to drain out some of the old 85 and put some fresh 87 in the tank.

1947 CJ2A 225V6 SM420 D30 PLok/D44 D/Locker Warn OD 5:38s
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>