Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bimini/Bikini Top How To

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bimini/Bikini Top How To
    Posted: 05 Oct. 2018 at 5:18pm
I would like to make a Bikini top on my CJ2A without installing a roll bar.  Thanks   
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2018 at 5:51pm
You can easily do that with the half-cab top bows installed.  This was my "on the fly" attempt at making a quick top just before a Willys gathering a couple years ago.  I made it out of a tarp.  Thankfully I didn't end up needing it.  I doubt it would have survived an hour.Embarrassed

Edited by athawk11 - 05 Oct. 2018 at 5:53pm
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
SteveBonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveBonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2018 at 6:09pm
You can use a Bestop Tiger top as a safari top.  Remove doors, roll up all 3 rear sections.  Kinda an expensive way to get to a Bikini but it gives you many options if you ever wanted the full roof or roof no doors or safari options.
47 CJ2A
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2018 at 6:11pm
Take a look at this thread by jpet. 

(looks like the photobucket site where Jeff has stashed all his pics is down right now.)

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
degar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote degar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2018 at 4:23pm
I bent up some electrical conduit into a hoop and added some steel rod that I threaded to bolt in from the hoop to the windshield frame and just used a Best top bikini top for a CJ7. Works pretty good. Keeps the sun off me bald head.
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2018 at 8:09pm
Others have tried the Bestop bikini.  It would require alterations to fit but that may be easier that building from scratch.

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2018 at 4:11am
Originally posted by degar degar wrote:

I bent up some electrical conduit into a hoop and added some steel rod that I threaded to bolt in from the hoop to the windshield frame and just used a Best top bikini top for a CJ7.

I did much the same: 3/4" conduit to fit into the brackets for the original top bows but leaned back more than that, steel rods from windshield frame corners, and a former East German poncho/tent section folded to poncho status with a section of material sewn on to connect to the windshield twist connectors.  I made three straps to attach the poncho to the hoop and hold it together.  I can still use it as a poncho or tent section if necessary.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2018 at 11:23pm
I found a later model jeep bikini on craigslist for $25 and modified it to fit my CJ2A. It was a pretty easy job. 
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Gunslinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2018 at 11:40pm
I use a  Bikini top from a CJ7, 4 wheel parts has them.  A little stiching in the cornes to tighten it up and it fit well.
Gunslinger
50 CJ3A, M38A1
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2018 at 2:38am
If you use the original forward top bow, you won't get as much protection/shade as you would if you make a top bow that goes further back. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply