Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ-2A, instrument panel lights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerseyhawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CJ-2A, instrument panel lights
    Posted: 10 Oct. 2018 at 4:26am
ok, I was out after dark for a small couple mile shakedown ride. All lights work except the one at the top of the instrument panel. Is there a way to turn that on? Or pull the bulb to check it? Sorry for the novice questions, but I am lost with this light. I did order a few basic manuals to not bother you guys with this basic stuff.  Thanks............

Glenn

Edited by Jerseyhawg - 10 Oct. 2018 at 5:52am
He who toils here, hath made his mark.
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2018 at 4:49am
If it is close to having a stock harness, etc. There is a toggle switch located on the bottom of the dash panel below the headlamp switch vicinity.

Tim

Edited by timcj2a - 10 Oct. 2018 at 4:57am
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2018 at 4:52am
  Early CJ2-A's had a switch for the dash light mounted on the lower edge of the dash panel to the left of the steering column. Later the switch was eliminated and the light comes on with the parking lights and headlights. To remove the bulb, just pull the hood off, push in slightly on the bulb, and turn to the left.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2018 at 5:17am
In stock configuration the light has only 1 wire running to it, being the switched positive. Negative is through a ground to the body. Check your bulb first. If it's not that, check to make sure you have a good ground to the dash. 

Lots of electrical problems can be traced to bad grounds. 
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2018 at 10:58am
I love this place! 

You'd think I'd know about this early switch after all this time. No clue. My first 2A had this switch but it wasn't attached to anything. I always assumed it was a Bubba add. 

Learn something new every dang day here! Thanks!! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2018 at 11:48am
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

I love this place! 

You'd think I'd know about this early switch after all this time. No clue. My first 2A had this switch but it wasn't attached to anything. I always assumed it was a Bubba add. 

Learn something new every dang day here! Thanks!! 

Geesh, NF.... Id've told you if you only asked LOL

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2018 at 2:04pm
I looked at the 2-1/2 year old post that Mike linked to and as usual there were more than a few answers and configurations. Our two jeeps are 374 units apart and share the same dash lamp switch location.

After spending the last 15 years combing through 69376, I know this for sure. I am only the 3rd owner for at least the last 40 years, it was extremely well cared for, and still has the original fully functioning gauges, as well as lighting (minus the lamps), and the original Klixon light switch. Which leads me to assume that my dash lamp switch could be as well. As far as the red cover, I have no idea if that is original or not, but there are very few of us that have a 72 year length of ownership or worked in Toledo back in the day to say with certainty that is how they were.

I can only say that if not for the O.D. topcoat over the original Picket Gray, mine would fall into the "survivor" category. 

One thing that is certain is; Willys Overland Motors did whatever they could at the time with whatever parts they could source to push units out of the door. 

Edited by timcj2a - 10 Oct. 2018 at 2:07pm
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

Jerseyhawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerseyhawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2018 at 4:08pm
Thank you fellas.  I checked and do not have that switch under the dash. I removed the bulb, its good. I have to check power/ground. All the replies are much appreciated.

Glenn
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2018 at 5:48pm
Glenn, with all the posts about bad grounds, when I rewired mine, I added a separate ground wire circuit bonding the frame, body fenders and grille to the main battery cable on the engine block. Figured I would try and stop the "No ground" issue before it starts.
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerseyhawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2018 at 4:33am
Findings. Power to bulb good, ground good. Pulled bulb,  it looked good BUT looking at it with a magnifying glass it was stamped 12V. Guess that won't work. Will have to go to a vendors website and order a couple bulbs, have an extra laying around in case.

Glenn
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2018 at 5:16am
I guess you are running 6V? 

A 12V bulb in a 6V system will still "work", just very dimly. 
A 6V bulb in a 12V system will burn out quickly. 

If it's not glowing at all, the filament could be gone, or check the internal contacts of the holder
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerseyhawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2018 at 5:46am
Yes, it is a 6V system. I have no light coming from the bulb at all,  from what I have been reading it appears I need to find a #63 bulb. Thank you for commenting.

Glenn
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2018 at 2:05pm
  Did you check the bulb itself by using jumper wires to your battery? Is the wire going to the right terminal on the light switch?

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerseyhawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2018 at 12:39am
Jim, the bulb was shot. I got 1 more for now, its a 12V bulb. Checked new bulb with wires from the battery, it worked but dim as told me.  I was feeling around up behind the panel light attachment point, I could only find one  wire connected and traced it to ground. Also checked it with test light, no power. Ah Ha. 

Where should I pull power from? Right now I am a bit to plump to get under there and eyeball it. Lucky me. Does that hooded bulb piece come out?  As always, thank you all. 

Glenn
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2018 at 1:01am
The wiring diagram shows how it should be wired.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2018 at 1:57am
  Run it to the tail light terminal on the light switch, that way it will come on when the light switch is on for the parking lights and also will come on when the head lights are on.  The dash light socket is held on by a nut and lock washer.  It might be easier to drop the light switch down to attach the wire.  To make it easier to get to the dash light  take the speedometer out and you can reach through the hole.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerseyhawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2018 at 3:54am
Thanks guys, you made it easy. It is always appreciated by me. 

Glenn
derschar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote derschar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2018 at 1:34pm

In this picture there is an indentation next to the headlight switch...my 46 has what looks like a broken bulb in a socket there....what is this ?  I just got the jeep and am going through it to learn all the switches...it does have the little switch under the dash to the left of the column also...around #16000 body number....also is there an operators manual for the early column shift ? I seen the operation and car manual posted on this site is for a floor shift...thank you

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>