Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ-2A, instrument panel lights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2018 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by derschar derschar wrote:

In this picture there is an indentation next to the headlight switch...my 46 has what looks like a broken bulb in a socket there....what is this ?  I just got the jeep and am going through it to learn all the switches...it does have the little switch under the dash to the left of the column also...around #16000 body number....also is there an operators manual for the early column shift ? I seen the operation and car manual posted on this site is for a floor shift...thank you

Hey, derschar, welcome to the page... Smile

You mention a picture, but I can't see one.  The dash light being discussed in this thread is not near the headlight switch, it's above the speedometer.

You may do better to start a new thread under "General Discussion" with the pic Thumbs Up

(fwiw, I don't know of a factory dash mounted light to the left near the headlamp switch)

MB
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2018 at 2:59pm
If I understand Derschar correctly, he is referring to the first pic posted in this thread. There is a dimple in the dash panel to the left of the light switch hole.

In Derschar's jeep (not this picture), there is a light socket in the dimple with a broken bulb in it.

His question is if this is simply bubba at work, or were there ever any dash lights to the left of the steering column?

(Side question.... did the dimple ever serve any purpose? Why is it there? Left over from MB days?)
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2018 at 3:27pm
Embarrassed  If that's what he means, mea culpa... Embarrassed

ETA:  I can't help with the dimple, my bubba put my ignition switch there Confused

Edited by mbullism - 25 Oct. 2018 at 3:32pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2018 at 4:53pm
It's the knockout for the rotary heater switch.
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2018 at 7:44pm
When did Willys stop making bodies without the knockout?

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2018 at 8:04pm
FWIW - My '48 has the rotary heater switch located a little differently.  A starter button is located to the left.

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
85jeepcj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85jeepcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 6:16pm
anyone have the measurements of mounting holes for original instrument panel light switch.
Thanks 

Edited by 85jeepcj - 04 May 2019 at 6:18pm
Tsip 46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tsip 46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 6:45pm
About 2-1/4" from the side panel and in the middle of the lower lip there is the "instrument panel switch hole (~.450"). Equally spaced (~19/32")on each side there are the switch mounting through-holes
(~11/64").
Two inches to the right of this toggle switch there is another set of same size three holes on my mid year 46, with nothing attached to it!?...
A friend in the market is better than money in the purse.
old timer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by derschar derschar wrote:

In this picture there is an indentation next to the headlight switch...my 46 has what looks like a broken bulb in a socket there....what is this ?  I just got the jeep and am going through it to learn all the switches...it does have the little switch under the dash to the left of the column also...around #16000 body number....also is there an operators manual for the early column shift ? I seen the operation and car manual posted on this site is for a floor shift...thank you

The column shift info is in the 1945 Maintenance manual..... reprints are available, originals are tough to find...... Check with Acheron Press.....
OLD TIMER
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12