Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My first post and intro.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
CJ2A-NOOB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-NOOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My first post and intro.
    Posted: 24 Oct. 2018 at 12:47am
thanks, I will do that.
Sorry to run it too long on one thread.
Cheers
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2018 at 7:59pm
You might think about creating a separate thread, appropriately titled, for your different questions as they come up. That is how this forum is designed. 

Not trying to tell you what to do, but running everything into one thread titled "My First Post And Intro" will not help you in a few months time when you (or others) are trying to search for something they remember came up somewhere but now can't find. LOL

Your choice, just a suggestion
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
CJ2A-NOOB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-NOOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2018 at 4:17pm
update,
we did get the 12v , 3 terminal ,Starter Solenoid ordered from Amazon yesterday. I need to check the jeep to see if the Coil is currently a 6v. (I think it is)

next up I guess will be ordering one of the lower Alternator Brackets. itwill probably be ordered from Willysworks.com, (unless there are other suggestions from the members here).
 I think someone here said the Fuel Gauge will also need to be replaced with a 12v type ?
Cheers
CJ2A-NOOB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-NOOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2018 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by tufcj2a tufcj2a wrote:

Where are you in SoCal? I am in Glendale. Just Lose It the electrical on my 47. If you're close by I can come over and take a look at your rig.
  It looks like we are about 43 miles apart. The jeep belongs to my boss and is in Ontario, near the Ontario Airport.
Thanks
Cheers
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2018 at 2:19am
Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

Search for Willys Alternator mount.

That’s what I did then made one. 
tufcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2018 at 1:55am
Where are you in SoCal? I am in Glendale. Just Lose It the electrical on my 47. If you're close by I can come over and take a look at your rig.
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 8:36pm
Search for Willys Alternator mount.
CJ2A-NOOB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-NOOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 7:38pm
Next Question,

Does anyone make/sell a good "Bolt-on" Lower Alternator bracket ?
 (or is that something I will need to fabricate myself? )

Here's the "little jewel" that is currently on there, that apparently someone felt was a good idea, hahaha.
 Me ?, ... NO, ... I DO NOT think this is sufficient, LOL !

Cheers
CJ2A-NOOB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-NOOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 6:44pm
Yes,understood,
NO existing parts, wiring, etc, will be tossed, trashed, or traded away for quite a while. everything that gets removed will be boxed, labeled, and shelved for future reference/use.

Although the existing Starter Relay/Solenoid is still working with the 12v Battery,
 can anyone recommend what 12v Starter Relay/Solenoid I should use to replace the existing 6v model ?
 (existing 6v model has a part number "DR1465")

on edit- is this all I need?

Also any part numbers or links to purchase a 12v Starter
Any part number or links would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by CJ2A-NOOB - 19 Oct. 2018 at 6:59pm
Cheers
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Originally posted by CJ2A-NOOB CJ2A-NOOB wrote:

and ball joints. 

......... ........

Lol...  I wouldn't waste a lot of time on those LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by CJ2A-NOOB CJ2A-NOOB wrote:

and ball joints. 

......... ........

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 11:56am
Before you go ripping out the old wiring, make sure it's old, lol.  My 2a came to me with a repop harness... modern plastic insulated wire with cloth outside for the "look"
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 8:41am
Being an old VW guy, I will say that the Willys is very similar in this regard. Unless you grind away on the starter it should hold up OK. Although some folks have had Bendix problems, I have not, so far anyway. Many folks just swap out the starters, & some of us continue to use the 6 volt original one.

It sounds to me kind of like your buddy will not go easy on his starter, so you may want to get a 12 volt starter just because you will not be the one to drive this rig.

Yes, the solenoid will need replaced with a 12 volt unit.

Yes, 12 volt starters are readily available. Look into a high torque starter from, IIRC, a Toyota. I have no idea as to cost, I am still running my 6 volt unit.

Your alternator/starter guy should be able to convert your 6 volt starter. Ask him about cost in both time & money. IME, It is much cheaper in both time & money to replace it with a 12 volt unit.

Heck, someone on this site converting his CJ's 12 Volt system back to 6volts may want to trade you their 12 volt starter for your 6 volt one. Post a for trade add in "The Trading Post".

Whatever you do, do not throw anything electrical away before your new system is up & has worked well for a few months. I have seen that film before, It can get mighty ugly fast!

IHTH, Cpt Logger.

CJ2A-NOOB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-NOOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 8:06am
ok, so here's my next dumb question,

Am I correct in thinking the starter relay shown in these pics, should be replaced with a 12 volt version ?

How long do you guess the starter will hold up being 6v,  with a 12v electrical system ?

(We used to do that when I was a kid, when we would convert our pre '67 VW's to 12v)

Are 12v Starter Motors readily available ? Cost ?
 Or can this 6v Starter Motor, be converted to 12v by my Alternator/Starter Guru Guy ?
 How do you guys (who have gone to 12v systems), handle the Starter Motor ?

Cheers
CJ2A-NOOB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-NOOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 7:50am
Thanks for all the replies everyone,
OK, I got the alternator back from the shop this evening. It is now rebuilt to a 12v, neg grd, high output, self exciting, self regulating, single hot wire, ... Thing of Beauty ! ! ! Wink  Big smile

We're not real concerned with keeping it as "original as possible" or anything like that.
 Heck, ... it already a civilian CJ2A that is impersonating as a military MB, LOL !
 Converting it to a 12v system was part of the original plan anyway.

My buddy intends to use this jeep as a camping/hunting rig 
. He's not the gear head that I am, and his words were basically,...

"Just make it as 100% dependable as possible, Ron, ... I don't want it breaking down out on a hunt, or ten miles down some dirt road away from camp ".

We are talking about replacing the wiring harness, to get rid of he old cloth(?) insulated wires, and provide a greater sense of confidence that we will not have any problems with it. It's going to need 12v Headlights, Tail/Brake lights, and a turn signal kit.
 He'll probably want some off-road lights front and rear, and probably an interior light, electric widsheild wipers, and it wouldn't surprise me if a electric winch gets tossed in along the way.

We already have one of the "Arctic" aftermarket hardtops for it too. Not sure who originally made/sold it (?).
 It is aluminum construction, solid locking doors, sliding door windows, and fully insulated. I'm sure he'll want some lights in/on/around that too. 
 So ,... it's not like the electrical system is going to be "all stock" anyway.

I'm considering replacing the headlights with some fancy LED or HID types widely available on Amazon/Ebay... so those wont be looking "original" either.
 (If anyone here has them on their CJ2A, I'd love to see a pic of them)

I found these Halogen bulb types on Amazon, that even have turn signal built in.
 Now that is pretty convenient ehh ?
https://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Halogen-Headlight-Headlights-Included/dp/B077YW3WS9/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1539930079&sr=8-5&keywords=round+headlights&dpID=51PHB1gCcYL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

So first I've got to get this electrical modification done to accept all that stuff... and then I've got to give the drive train some attention. It's got the usual oil leaks at both diff covers/yoke seals, and one at the transfer case. it's got a TINY bit of play in the steering box, that I can probably adjust a tad. Will need to look at the brakes just for my own satisfaction, as well as the spring shackle bushings and ball joints. 

Did I forget to mention the WiFi, Disco ball, FLIR, Satellite TV, and Dancing Laser lights, Dash Cam, Remote Engine start, Backup monitor,  and B-17 Motorized Machine gun turret, all to be controlled by your Smartphone or keyfob ? LOL  Wink  Big smile

Edited by CJ2A-NOOB - 19 Oct. 2018 at 7:54am
Cheers
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 5:01am
"Hmmm, ... Bummer on the temp sensor.
 I figured that would be a pretty common and readily available replacement part."

Common, yes, they get broken a lot, mostly by people who don't realize how it works or comes apart.
  Readily available, not too bad, all the parts vendors carry them. You just have to replace the entire gauge. You can be glad that our gauges are very similar to what has been used in military vehicles, tractors, heavy equipment, hot rods and racecars, etc, etc. for many years. Imagine breaking one off in a Studebaker or DeSoto, or any other old car or truck where the gauge head is peculiar to that particular instrument cluster!  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 1:29am
Ok so if he is switching it to 12volts instead of just building it back to 6volt neg ground remember that means all your other stuff will have to be changed out......bulbs, solenoid, etc.

I thought you were thinking about getting him to do a 6 volt negative ground....(instead of positive ground)

I'm not an alternator rebuilder so don't know what is involved with either.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
CJ2A-NOOB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-NOOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2018 at 9:16pm
quick update
I just dropped off the alternator at the rebuilder.
He immediately took it apart to look inside and confirmed it was on fact set up as a 6v pos ground.
He is going to switch it to a 12v neg ground and it should be back in my hands this afternoon.
Cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>