Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My first post and intro.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-NOOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My first post and intro.
    Posted: 11 Oct. 2018 at 8:02am
Hello all,
My name is Ron. I live in So Calif.
 I have joined your forum in hopes of learning about a 1947 Willys  CJ2A that a friend has recently acquired. We intend to use it as a camping / hunting rig.
 It is pretty much stock / original, other than the generator has been replaced with an alternator (6V positive grounded) and the normal parts replacements. It does have a few small oil leaks that I would consider fairly normal for a 70+ year old jeep.
 I am sure I will have several questions and ask for your recommendations as I work on it to bring it up to standards.
 Thanks for your time and patience with this CJ2A Newbie
Cheers,
Ron 

Cheers
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2018 at 10:25am
Welcome to the mix. Ask any and all questions bet we have the answer or how to fix it. Learn how to post pics we love them

Edited by jeeper50 - 11 Oct. 2018 at 12:17pm

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2018 at 10:50am
Welcome aboard. The knowledge base here is most impressive! Good luck with the project. Just be warned......these little rigs are addictive. Wink
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2018 at 11:40am
Positive ground?  That's odd since CJ2As are normally negative ground.  Welcome aboard, we look for ward to seeing photos, we like photos!

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2018 at 12:11pm
Welcome!... but be warned.  I give it six months before you buy one of your own LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2018 at 9:51pm
Welcome aboard!

A positive ground 6 volt alternator is very odd. I would be very surprised at that. Please double check that. IMHO, It is unobtainium.

I did not find anyone who made a 6 volt positive ground alternator when I was looking for one. I had a Caterpillar D-2 with a positive ground system that I wanted to keep as stock as possible. I thought that an upgrade to an alternator was the ticket to fix my charging system problems. I could not even find someone who would take a negative ground alternator & swap the diodes to make it positive ground. This was in 1978. I ended up rebuilding the generator, & replacing almost all of the wiring. Close attention was paid to getting the grounds clean & tight. That fixed my issues, but if a positive ground alternator was available at that time, I would have installed it.

These days, anything is possible. The internet has made finding oddball parts much easier.

Oh, on another note we love pictures! Send us a bunch of them. Please & Thank you.

Again, welcome to the madness, Cpt Logger.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2018 at 12:59am
Welcome to the page, CJ2A-NOOB!  Are you going to change your name when you're not a noob any more?  Smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
CJ2A-NOOB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-NOOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2018 at 3:15am
Thanks for the warm welcome fellas.
I am pretty familiar with forums of various interests and I know how we all like to see pics. Haha. I am a member/moderator on a forum of my other hobby, and we have a saying there,... No pics, didn't happen. Lol.
Anyway, I will try to get some pics posted up soon.
 Do they first need to be hosted on a public pic sharing site like photobucket ? , or can I attach them to a post directly from my phone ?
Cheers
CJ2A-NOOB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-NOOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2018 at 8:04am
OK,so as promised, here's some pics of the '47 Willys

This was purchased last week from a 82 year old neighbor who has owned it for about 8 or 9 years.
I do not know any of the history on it prior to that.

It has a newer fuel pump, coil, wires, cap, rotor, points, condenser
Generator has been replaced with an alternator, fan belt, hoses,
 New tires, Plastic fuel tank, Seat covers.

Hope all these pics come out where you can see them.
Cheers
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2018 at 8:58am
Originally posted by jeeper50 jeeper50 wrote:

Welcome to the mix. Ask any and all questions bet we have the answer or how to fix it. Learn how to post pics we love them

Jeeper50, that's a male kudu in the passenger seat! As Cpt Logger would say, pretty much unobtainium in the USA unless you hunt in the local zoo, but not so rare here in South Africa... LOL The bush in the background is classic Southern Africa (Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe....)?

Care to share the story of the pic and where it was taken?
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2018 at 8:59am
Those are great pictures of a fine Jeep. Thank you.

It looks like a fairly unmolested example of one.

Others much more knowledgeable than I will now post what they see about your CJ. It will be interesting to see what they observe.

If I may ask, could you post a few pictures of your alternator? I really would like to at least see a picture of one in captivity.

TIA, Cpt Logger.
jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2018 at 11:13am
Welcome.

Wow, very nice looking Jeep.  Doesn't appear to need much: check and rebuild steering and brakes if needed, add some tail lights and clean up any wiring issues and fix the leaks. Basically, just get it starting, running, driving and stopping in a safe and reliable manner and you are good to go. Ubolt skidders, nice!

Edited by jbjeeps - 12 Oct. 2018 at 11:15am
1970 CJ5 Dauntless, 4.88 (His)
1948 CJ2A Dauntless, 3.54 (Hers)
1948 CJ2A "Targhee", yup, still under construction but getting closer
Instagram: old_money_2a

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2018 at 2:39am
Wow, this is a very nice Jeep!!  Not much needs fixing.  I see missing rear axle bump stops.  Well, the rubber part is missing.  Very common.  Possibly missing the body mount rubber pieces, too.  Did you get top bows and hardware? 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2018 at 8:38am
Originally posted by JeepSaffer JeepSaffer wrote:

Originally posted by jeeper50 jeeper50 wrote:

Jeeper50, that's a male kudu in the passenger seat! As Cpt Logger would say, pretty much unobtainium in the USA unless you hunt in the local zoo, but not so rare here in South Africa... LOL The bush in the background is classic Southern Africa (Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe....)?

Care to share the story of the pic and where it was taken?

Yeah x2
And how in the heck did you get that 700lb beast loaded into that little jeep???😳
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
CJ2A-NOOB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-NOOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2018 at 8:02am
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

Welcome aboard!

A positive ground 6 volt alternator is very odd. I would be very surprised at that. Please double check that. IMHO, It is unobtainium.
  Oh, on another note we love pictures! Send us a bunch of them. Please & Thank you.

Again, welcome to the madness, Cpt Logger.

here's some pics of the Alternator.
 I suppose it is quite possible that this was wired wrong. If that is the case (?), maybe someone here can confirm ?
 This is the way it was when we got it. and yes, it does start and run.

Notice that the battery cable is grounded to the engine bracket, AND the Alternator wire is connected to the battery clamp. battery cable was connected to the Positive battery post.

Here is the other battery cable that goes to the solenoid. this was connected to the Negative battery post.

So if this IS in fact Wrong, 
 And I was to swap the alternator cable over to the solenoid,
 connect that cable to the positive battery post,
 and connect the other cable to the negative battery post,

Then wouldn't that spin the starter/engine backwards ? 
Cheers
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2018 at 12:59pm
The starter will only turn one direction, the brush orientation in the starter defines that.
The problem you may have is that alternator, if it has been converted to negative ground the regulator diode may burn up when you reverse it.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2018 at 2:13pm
Trying to think backwards here ( positive ground).....that wire going to the alternator 'normally' would go to positive so I'm not sure it SHOULD go to positive on your system ( that would be ground wouldn't it)?

I would suggest go ahead now, bite the bullet, and switch back to a negative ground system. (either 6 or 12) you will be money ahead in ruined components due to improper diagnosis.

Mechanics in this country aren't likely to want to fool with it the way it is now......just a suggestion.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2018 at 3:24pm
This is in remarkably good condition.  Almost too good.  That said, I don't see anything that would suggest that the sheet metal is reproduction.  Great find.  Congratulations. 
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>