Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Down the rabbit hole, maybe...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Down the rabbit hole, maybe...
    Posted: 12 Oct. 2018 at 2:17am
Hey there, follow along and enjoy my story.

I've been getting a Willys itch for a while.  Started with a couple trips to Reading PA for the WWII weekend.  Then the newer Jeeps with the decal Willys kept popping up and most recently my son picked up a newer '14 Cherokee with a Willys climbing a hill silhouette in the windshield surround.

A couple years ago I picked up an unmolested Minneapolis Moline MM112 garden tractor from a local junk yard for $250.  Pretty neat little tractor, even had the chrome hub caps in place.  While waiting on a loader tractor to come pick it up and set it on my Cummins powered '71 F350 dually my son sent one of out coworkers a couple pictures.  This coworker has a thing for old Molines, little Molines, big Molines and might need professional help before long.  Text reply back was "How much?".  He doesn't need this tractor mind you, he has three others.  But none with chrome hub caps...

Now we've been going back and forth about this little garden tractor for a long time and honestly I don't need it or really enjoy running it on my 5000 sqft of grass in town.  As a farm guy he collects "things" and one of the things he has is an "unmolested" '48 CJ2A hardtop with yellow paint.  I've even seen a blurry picture or two of it.  So we've been banging back and forth the past month or so about trading (with or without an undisclosed amount of cash) the MM112 for the CJ2A.  It's been kind of a nebulous conversation.  Tomorrow afternoon he may or may not trailer it up to my place.  We'll see.

Regardless I've been browsing this site trying to sponge up as much info as possible.  Hope this works out and we can all enjoy learning what I may or may not be getting into. :)

Thanks,
Jamie
Working towards a '48 CJ2A
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2018 at 2:33am
Welcome aboard Jamie, I love old Tractors too and have a 1946 John Deere model A but I can't drive that to work like I can my CJ2A so I think your doing a great trade up. I hope it works out for you and Good luck.
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2018 at 2:43am
X2 on what Mike said!  I've owned a Case SC tricycle front, a Cat D2 crawler and a Cat D4 with a LeTourneau cable dozer. Enjoyed them all but there's nothing like actually being able to go somewhere off your property. Good luck with the trade.  Jack
1970 CJ5 Dauntless, 4.88 (His)
1948 CJ2A Dauntless, 3.54 (Hers)
1948 CJ2A "Targhee", yup, still under construction but getting closer
Instagram: old_money_2a

RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2018 at 3:26am
HMMM.. Minneapolis or Toledo?? I'd do Toledo..
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2018 at 11:55am
Welcome Jamie, hope it works out.

FYI, next weekend is the Mason-Dixon Jeep gathering and Gettysburg tour.  Since you are close by, Iencourage you to attend.  There will be lots of jeep, parts and great people at the show.  Details here:

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Ranchero50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2018 at 2:12pm
Gentlemen, thanks for the kind words.

Here's some pics of the Minnie from the junkyard just how we found it with the battery cover on the seat..

And some after action pics cleaned up.

In the background is my '58 MF50.  Might be overkill for 1/8 acre lot in town but it actually gets used a good bit.  I work on farm equipment for a buddy and use it for snow etc.

Loaded down with materials to rebuild the back wall of my 20x40' shed.

It does everything well except it has the turning radius of a school bus.  The Willys will end up doing boat trailer duty for my Seadoo powered bass boat.  Currently the truck is down getting a replacement steering box, new turbo and sealing the injection pump.  Hope to have it moving again by the end of the day.

Edited by Ranchero50 - 12 Oct. 2018 at 2:15pm
Jerseyhawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerseyhawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2018 at 6:30pm
Here's mine, a 1964 wheel horse 854. Another good hobby.

Glenn
He who toils here, hath made his mark.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2018 at 6:51pm
I'll join in too.  My model 127 Cub Cadet, circa 1969-1970.  I still plow snow with it.

Greybeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greybeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2018 at 7:27pm
My tractor is a 2005 Chinese made Farm Pro.  Not attractive, not collectible, not desirable... but it works :)

Until this year, I kept 9 acres of field around the house brush hogged with it.

Picked up a big commercial Ferris zero turn this year... makes keeping that 9 acres cut a much simpler chore.

As for the Jeep, picked up my 47 CJ2A a few weeks back.. yeah, it's a deeep rabbit hole, you're stepping into :)
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2018 at 2:45am
Welcome to the page, Ranchero50!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2018 at 3:19am
Nice truck. Bump sides are my favorite. Owned several and have my eye on another. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2018 at 2:30pm
Well, yesterday was another day without a Willys.  Patience grasshopper...

Ironically this weekend is the WWII display at Williamsport MD.  A post war flat fender would look good there.

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2018 at 3:11pm
There will be a lot at the Mason-Dixon show next weekend. I went last year looking, but didn't buy. This year I'm taking mine there. Hope you can make it, stop by and say hi.
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2018 at 6:47pm
I've got a 1951 Farmall Cub that I use to haul stuff around the place here and have a light belly blade for it to clear the driveways of snow.  Some folks have ATVs, I've got a Farmall.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 10:30pm
Well, we are still playing the phone tag game.  Spoke with him at work yesterday, all enthusiastic about trading and even answered the phone when I called right after to be sure we had the correct numbers.  Today has been crickets...

Gettysburg was a long shot if I had the Willys but it's looking more like a next year type deal.  I'll keep the forum updated as this progresses.

Jamie
 Post Reply Post Reply