Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > Wanted to Buy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine, or rebuilder...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greybeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine, or rebuilder...
    Posted: 16 Oct. 2018 at 9:05pm
Hi folks.

I'm trying to get a 47 CJ2A back on the road.  Picked it up a few weeks ago... I posed a thread here at that time.  Since then, I've been gathering information and educating myself on these machines.

I have a mostly original 47.  Someone has replaced the engine with a Kaiser Supersonic, at some time in the past.  The whole engine... not just the head. Anyway, the trans, drive line, etc. is original... and most of the rest of what is under the hood is original, as well.  Someone's done a 12v conversion... appears to be a late 60's GM alternator... starter has an external voltage regulator...

If I had to guess, I'd say that the engine swap and 12v conversions were done at the same time, in the late 60's, when these Kaiser engines were available cheap.

I've pulled the plugs and poured Miracle Oil into the cylinders... let it set for a week, and tried to turn the engine.  It's froze up solid.  

So... bad engine, or at a minimum, one in need of a complete overhaul.  It's not the original engine anyway, so I've got no incentive to keep it in the vehicle...

I either need to have this one rebuilt, or pick up a good running L134 to swap it.

Anyone have a source for rebuilt L134's?  Perhaps someone that might want my core, or someone that could get my engine running again.  I honestly don't care which, just want to get it running again.

There's an L134 in Michigan on Ebay, in a generator, for $700.  Seems an awful long drive, but if that's what it takes... I'm in Missouri.  Something a bit closer to home would be better.  Thought I had a line on a rebuilt Kaiser Supersonic for a grand... but that deal fell through.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2018 at 9:35pm
Greybeard,

So you have a hot Rod 1947!  The Kaiser Supersonic is a 68 hp engine as apposed to the stock Jeep L134 at 60hp.  It has a bigger intake manifold set up for the YF Card and a few other things like the high compression head.  I would take a Kaiser Supersonic over a generator / welder engine all day long.  Some of the welder / generator engines had horse power in the 50+ ranges.

If you scrap the engine save the head and intake manifold.  You can use them or sell them - they are scarce.

I just picked up a complete Kaiser Supersonic out of a Henry J that just might end up in a Jeep at some point.

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Moonrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2018 at 10:10pm
I had a number for a man in either Pratt or Lyons Kansas that had a 134 on a welder. It's been awhile but I can try to find the contact info for him. He was in that same price range but I think it was for the whole rig.
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2018 at 10:43pm
There is a Jeep outfit in Colorado that builds them. L134’s. Search Craig’s list in Colorado.
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2018 at 5:14am
Have you looked in the for sale section on this forum? L134 currently for sale there, $200. Shipping through Fastenal.
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2018 at 10:17am
That is a long drive (time and money), at $700 you're paying for an awful lot you don't need, and you'll need/want to swap an awful lot of bolt ons from the Kaiser on to the genny engine.  It will likely have a low compression industrial head, small intake and carb, no starter or ring gear on the flywheel or gen/alt, an oil pan without a skid plate, possibly a 6v distributor, etc... in short, you're buying a block with internals and a fair amount of work just removing it (ask me how I know, lol).  
(From August 1)
https://thecj2apage.com/forums/46-cj2a-69750_topic36996_page3.html

If it were me I'd keep an eye on CL closer to home while disassembling the kaiser from the bottom... you may have to smash a piston or two, or (?), but if a $700 genset so far from home is truly the only option I'd not give up on the kaiser until I was truly sure it was a paper weight.

Edited by mbullism - 17 Oct. 2018 at 10:40am
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2018 at 1:14pm
How about a nice L134 out of a '51 CJ3a? It is not frozen. $250
You can have it shipped through Fastenal....it'll cost about $150 - $175 to do it. St. Louis to Milwaukee about 6-7 hrs......a day spent traveling + gas the Fastenal route looks better and better.Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Greybeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greybeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2018 at 2:13pm
Thanks for the help.

I'm thinking, based on my reading, that a generator or welder probably isn't the way to go.

I did see the one in the for sale forum.  Says it won't turn.  I have no way to know this one is any better than the one I have... that won't turn, do I?

I really don't want to take on a rebuild project.  Not that I don't think I can do it... more like I know I _won't_ do it...  If I have to disassemble the engine, replace bearings, hone cylinders... it'll never get done.  I'd much rather pay a bit more, and get a good running engine.

If I could find a qualified builder, I'd send this one off... but finding someone within a reasonable driving distance of Buffalo, MO who has experience with L134 engines is a bit of a challenge...  

Which brings us back to why I posted :)
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2018 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Greybeard Greybeard wrote:

... more like I know I _won't_ do it... 

I feel your pain. 

I think you should be poking around locally.  During my rebuild, I needed help with the main bearings.  I called around and found a machine shop just 30 mins away that could.  So I delivered the block to them and an old guy asked if I needed assistance with the rebuild as he had a lot of experience - he knew a lot about the engine and clearly wanted the work to finish up the rebuild.  I wished I'd found this shop from the beginning but had most everything done by that point.

I'll be willing to bet, you have a shop within driving distance, that has the experience and time to do a partial or complete rebuild for you.  You just need to ask the right person, e.g. a parts shop with grey guys working behind the counter.  They'll probably know someone personally that can do this.

Another option, have you talked with anyone at Eagle Machine?
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2018 at 6:34pm
There is a shop in In Springfield That says they do anything from Model A's to current.
There is a complete set of running gear Engine, transmission Transfer case, and both axles in Fredricktown on Craigslist.  If this was closer to me I would look at buying the lot for the cores.

The shop in Colorado that sells remanufactured L134's is I think $3400 with a core.  you can use this as a benchmark for what you should look at paying for a shop to do all the work.

If you don't go with the Kaiser Supersonic I could use the head. However, from what I've seen here almost anything can be rebuilt as long as its not cracked in a place that can't be repaired.

hope I've helped.

MDF

Wally P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wally P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2018 at 12:41pm
Contact us via the email below,
or call 612-251-4867 if you're still looking.

My best,

Tonka Jeep Limited

Minneapolis 

PARTS, SERVICE & RESTORATION INQUIRIES:

sales@tonkajeepltd.com

tonkajeepltd.com

Handpicked from American History

Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2018 at 3:32pm
If you stray away from the current engine, I am interested in the head and intake.
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2018 at 3:16pm
H. W. Welch 
110 Central Manor Road
Mountville, PA
717-285-3931
 Post Reply Post Reply