Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Speedometer cable part number

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speedometer cable part number
    Posted: 07 Nov. 2018 at 12:25am
This is good to know! Thanks Stan.
blademaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blademaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2018 at 11:36pm
Thank You Stan. I'll write that down.

Reminds me of when I went to Britton Brothers Napa years ago, don't think theyre in business now, and asked for a pilot bushing for an old jeep...the counter man flipped through his parts books rack and said...ill have to go to the basement for that one. He returned with the bushing!

Our Napa here in town is locally owned...and still have all the old parts books on the counter..I give them most of my business.

Today went searching for transmission assembly lube...there it was on the shelf at my favorite parts store ...Thank You Mike

Edited by blademaker - 06 Nov. 2018 at 11:48pm
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2018 at 10:59pm
Thanks Stan. I've written that number down for future reference.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2018 at 10:30pm
Stan, your story just goes to prove that there is just no substitute for old farts (pros) in a parts store.

The smart parts store operators never threw the old catalogs and interchanges away when computer cataloging became popular. The old pros set them on a shelf for reference because they knew that someday someone would come in and need that information on whatever old iron they were attempting to keep running. Computer cataloging seldom covers anything earlier than 1970 give or take a few years.

The others relied on whatever the computer guys thought was important. Little did they know that old part number interchanges, size lists, illustrations, dimensions, and a dozen other things would be important to someone someday.

When I was in the parts business oh so many years ago we had 12 feet of catalogs in two racks and more in the backroom for those things that we didn't sell a lot of. A good counterman (that's what they were called back in the day, not a sales associate) who knew the catalogs could find a part quickly and correctly. The only buttons they pushed on a keyboard were those on the cash register when they rang up the sale.

The NAPA United speedometer parts catalog had a list in the back that showed the part number sorted by length for speedometer cable cores...and application data going back to the 30's for most every make and model of car and light truck for both cores and assemblies. Yours was in there, but the catalog was thrown out years ago.

Glad you found a replacement, save the part number!
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2018 at 7:43pm
The part number at AutoZone for a 63 inch replacement speedometer cable that fits (I think it’s a little bit longer than stock) is CA-3002. This is, of course, an overseas product but it does fit and work. Most of the stores should have one in stock because it’s a generic replacement for many different vehicles.

Backstory that you don’t need to read if you are just looking for the part number:

A couple of years ago I bought a speedometer cable at NAPA. The old pro there helped me look in the book and found what I needed.
A few weeks ago I was in Moab, returning to town down the hill from the Gemini Bridges trail head going as fast as Grampa’s Jeep can go (about 65mph, the hill is pretty steep) and the speedo quit. Drove the rest of the weekend without speedo.
Got home and found that the inner cable had snapped. Probably got hot from spinning at warp speed. Smile
Went back to the Napa to get another cable. Stood there for an hour while the youngster in front of me tickled her keyboard and called other stores for help. No joy. I left my number with her. She said “I’m going to find this. I won’t stop until I do.” That was a week ago. 
I then drove over to the AutoZone store where I used to work. Got them to let me go in the back and look through the cables hanging in bags. I didn’t know the part number, but it took me about 5 minutes to find the right one just looking at them.
I did put some graphite oil in the cable before I installed it. It’s working great.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
 Post Reply Post Reply