Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Baofeng radio what next?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Baofeng radio what next?
    Posted: 04 May 2019 at 5:12pm
Just picked up a Baofeng for the FCT per Mike's advice.

I found a great video on programming on for FRS, GMRS, Weather, and Marine channels using Chirp.

If you're not tech or Excel savy, here's a .CSV file in the .ZIP folder that I made that is the same as the one in the video that will give you all the FSR, GMRS, Marine, and Weather frequencies:

Edited by unclemoak - 04 May 2019 at 6:09pm
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2019 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by m38mike m38mike wrote:

MooCow, I have that problem every year with someone's FRS radio.   

That, or someone's radio set to "VOX", and the whole group is unable to communicate, and has to listen to someone's conversation with his wife. LOLOuchWink   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2019 at 1:27pm
Mike
I was setup to monitor the NOAA and the marine channels at the same time, but the weather was so calm I just kept the VHS marine channel on to chat with others on the channel.

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2019 at 10:58am
Jeeper50, that's a nice fish!  That also looks like a sweet setup you have on that kayak.  I'll bet that was a great week on the water.  I'm glad to hear that the radio worked well for you.  That's what they are supposed to do.  You are the only guy I've ever set up for the marine channels.  Did you set yours up to monitor two channels at once?  Did you know you could?  Would that have been useful for you?  

MooCow, I have that problem every year with someone's FRS radio.  Usually a quick look at the screen will tell me what the problem is.  Then the real problem is getting rid of the privacy code so the radio is operating on open channel again.  Different brands have different keystrokes for clearing the privacy code off the radio.  I'm glad to hear you got yours figured out.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
MooCow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MooCow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2019 at 5:14am
I figured it out, the privacy( small number under the channel number) on the FRS motorola needs to be set to 0.  Thanks to some 13 yearly kid on youtube!  Works fine now.
1949 CJ3A
MooCow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MooCow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2019 at 4:28am
Not to Hijack this post but we are getting ready for a willys get together this weekend in the ozarks and I got my BF-F9 out and some other motorola FRS radios to share with people who don't have anything.  My Baofeng will receive from the motorola but will not send to them on any of the channels.  Mike set it up for me at the FCT a few years ago and it worked great all week but to be honest I am not sure it sent then as we spent most of the week just listening to Mikes great tour info, not sure I ever tried to respond.  Any thoughts on why it is not sending?
1949 CJ3A
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2019 at 1:56pm
 Back from my fishing trip on the gulf coast of Florida and the Baofeng radio worked flawlessly, especially the NOAA weather channels for the next days wind and wave forecast (not much help in the midwest) but the VHS marine channels worked great also to keep the fishing info flowing between all us kayakers while offshore fishing the flats. 

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2019 at 12:21pm
I don't remember getting an ear piece with my radio but if i did, it's long gone. The big round button you see in the first pic is the push to talk button.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2019 at 2:29am
But Jpet, you know the only time I use my falsetto voice is when I'm singing Soprano.  I tried that once on the radio.  Nancy about fell out of the Jeep.  Guess I need to get seatbelts before I do that again. 

This set up looks very cool.  With the mike's pressed tight to your throat they should pick up your voice really well.  And that earbud should help you hear me better, not that you'd listen to me, but at least you'd know what I told you not to do! Wink

Have you tried the ear piece that comes with the radios?  For listening to my deep base voice they work pretty well.  But I sure like your new rig.  Does it have a push-to-talk switch?  Or does it work voice activated?  I guess you're just going to have to take that radio on the road with you next time you go visiting.  Maybe then you can get it checked out.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2019 at 12:48am
My biggest problem with the radios and CB is that most of the time, I simply can’t understand what anybody’s saying when I’m in a noisy Jeep, especially m38mike. I’m sure it’s my ears but his voice is so low that I can’t easily pick up the frequency. Maybe he should speak with a falsetto voice

..... anywho, here is the newest thing I’m going to try:

This tactical headset is made by codeRED and was about 100 bucks. It was highly recommended on YouTube. The throat mic is supposed to pick up a whisper even in a noisy environment. The ear piece is a must for me as I am hard of hearing anyway.

I only have the one radio so I can’t test this till I wheel with you guys. I would probably have to unholser the radio when I’m in the Jeep:

Idk. I’ll give it a try.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2019 at 12:46pm
I stumbled upon my mid 90s Motorola Handi-com GMRS radios and used my Baofeng to see if they still worked, so I have an extra for spare.  Also have been using my Weather channels that I loaded with Mike's help, saved my bacon when all those tornadoes came thru Georgia a couple of weekends ago we stayed way east coming back up to the ATL area. 
 Going fishing next month in FL so I should be able to see how the marine channels carry on the saltwater.

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2019 at 12:47pm
mike in oregon picked up on what needed to be done very quickly.  I helped him learn the steps with his first radio.  Then he did his second radio pretty much by himself with me just giving him encouragement, not directions.  Mike, you're a good student!  Someday when we get together I'll take you up on that beverage offer! Beer
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2019 at 12:36am
I got a set of these radios with all the fixin's  and with Mike's help We got them all setup for the Oregon Spring Fling. I cant wait to try them out. I big Thanks to M38MIKE for helping me set them up.  I owe you a drink or 2 of your choice.  Beer
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2019 at 12:40pm
Goodonya jbjeeps!!  I'm glad to see you making the effort to get your licence.  I hope you succeed.  There are lots of interesting things to be learned along the way.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2019 at 2:25am
Getting my Amateur Radio License

I found out that the local university was offering a Technician Level class and signed up.  I'm halfway through the 4 week course, 4 hours every Saturday morning for 4 weeks and then the test on the fifth Saturday. We're using a textbook written by one of the instructors and the HamStudy.org website.

It's taxing my poor old brain, but I'm enjoying it, interesting stuff (mostly Wink). With some luck I'll have a call sign in a few weeks. 
1970 CJ5 Dauntless, 4.88 (His)
1948 CJ2A Dauntless, 3.54 (Hers)
1948 CJ2A "Targhee", yup, still under construction but getting closer
Instagram: old_money_2a

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2019 at 12:16am
It was so much easier with Mike's help and guidance! Thanks again

jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2019 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by m38mike m38mike wrote:

jbjeeps, you're welcome.  If you want my help getting your radio loaded up with useful channels, send me a pm and we'll get it figured out. 

Jeeper50 was able to get his radio loaded with FRS, GMRS, NOAH, and Marine channels that will let him talk with friends on land and sea. Good stuff! 

Thanks Mike, I'll be in touch after I get the cable. Thumbs Up
1970 CJ5 Dauntless, 4.88 (His)
1948 CJ2A Dauntless, 3.54 (Hers)
1948 CJ2A "Targhee", yup, still under construction but getting closer
Instagram: old_money_2a

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2019 at 2:16pm
jbjeeps, you're welcome.  If you want my help getting your radio loaded up with useful channels, send me a pm and we'll get it figured out. 

Jeeper50 was able to get his radio loaded with FRS, GMRS, NOAH, and Marine channels that will let him talk with friends on land and sea. Good stuff! 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>