Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

transmission to transfer case

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blademaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: transmission to transfer case
    Posted: 20 Nov. 2018 at 11:55pm
Okay here is my current dilemma of try to make my t/t cases to be leak free..good luck on that..right

I don't have my original transfer case to compare.... to mount to my side shift early t90, but on my rebuilt donor transfer case ..their seems to be holes in the concaves that lead to nowhere...is it a scout d18?

I have an early ford transfer case that doesn't have these holes, but it was intended for a t84

I searched back of t90 and the only pic I could find, seems to have these holes that correspond with the transfer case holes

Question is should I plug these holes? Transmission to transfer case oil would be isolated? Don't think there would be a problem with venting the transmission as the oil level is below my bearing...not a sealed one

Thanks Craig
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2018 at 12:01am
Don’t know about Fords or cornbinders, but our Willys transmissions and transfer cases share oil via those holes.  
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2018 at 12:21am
Like Stan says those holes allow for lubricant migration between the transmission and transfer case.
Really does not matter if you plug the ports.
Plug them in case you prefer to keep the lubricant separate.

If your swapping transfer case castings just be certain that the transfer casting allows sufficient relief area for the transmission lock plate to fit. 
Otherwise the trans / TC gasket will not fit flush enough to seal.

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

blademaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blademaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2018 at 12:37am
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Don’t know about Fords or cornbinders, but our Willys transmissions and transfer cases share oil via those holes.  

Thank you Stan

Just sold my 66 IH PU...hes doing it right!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blademaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2018 at 12:45am
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

Like Stan says those holes allow for lubricant migration between the transmission and transfer case.
Really does not matter if you plug the ports.
Plug them in case you prefer to keep the lubricant separate.

If your swapping transfer case castings just be certain that the transfer casting allows sufficient relief area for the transmission lock plate to fit. 
Otherwise the trans / TC gasket will not fit flush enough to seal.

Been through that trying to mate this early bird to an even earlier bird

No shared oil passages in this 10-22-45 T90

cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2018 at 3:31am
I would advise against using that cardboard gasket. I tried that the last time I rebuilt my trans. When I bolted the trans/tc together, remounted it and put the gear oil back in and it leaked like a sieve. the cardboard broke in all kinds of places from the pressure of being between the two units. I used Permatex gasket maker the next time. It STILL leaks a bit, but not from there.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blademaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2018 at 4:06am
Ive used Indian Head shellac for years...which is a Permatex product..Had good luck with it with card board gaskets...Rtv..dunno . Ive found that stuff after the app in some unwanted places. Went to the auto parts store today and there was a 4 by 4 foot at least... of sellable display ...devoted just for silicon sealant...form a gasket ...confused ..grabbed a bottle of indian head on the bottom shelf

Edited by blademaker - 21 Nov. 2018 at 4:21am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blademaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2018 at 4:34am
Blue, red, black, grey..dunno. Its a good product if used correctly
cdn2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdn2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2018 at 3:44pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blademaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2018 at 12:57am
Originally posted by cdn2a cdn2a wrote:

Talked about in detail here.

Thank You   Good information.
 Post Reply Post Reply