Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Got me this idea RE: Bedliner stuff

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Got me this idea RE: Bedliner stuff
    Posted: 21 Nov. 2018 at 2:48am
OK so I am going to be covering the front floor (flat area), Toe boards and the Tunnel with Herculiner.

BUT I am not so interested in the floor being to rough. SO today it dawned on me after talking to one of the guys at NAPA that has used it.

Its basically a thick paint like substrait with chunks of rubber like material in it. So why can't I just separate the chunks out of it with a strainer. That way the area under the Fuel tank and the 3/4" up the side wall I want it to cover could not have the chunks. Then I can also grade the chunks to come up with a size I think will work good on the floor and tunnel.

Should be a simple task I have a number of different mesh screens around here. The solvent and thinner for it is Xylene of which I just bought some.

So the game plan is to cover the area but only have the chunks in the actual foot wells, toe boards and tunnel area. Under the fuel tank and on the side walls only the "resin" portion of the brew.

I'm also going to do some testing off the jeep to see what I learn about my idea before I get that stuff near CHUG.

The little can was only $26 so if the test is a bust I'm not out a lot.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
PapaC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PapaC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2018 at 6:30am
was curious so I found this answer on a thread on another forum after doing a search for ‘strain herculiner’

Wrecked , 03-02-2009 04:54 PM
I contacted herculiner by email about painting over their product and this is the response I got.”

"Thanks for your e-mail. We do not recommend painting over the Herculiner as the paint will most likely crack, spiderweb and start to peel off. Also, the surface will no longer be a slip resistant surface. If you want a smoother surface, you may strain some of the rubber granules out of the Herculiner.If you really wish to paint over the Herculiner, you can by using a polyurethane based paint. If the Herculiner will be on the surface for a long period of time and is weathered, you will have to clean the surface using TSP and a stiff bristled deck brush. Then rinse the surface and let it air dry. You will now be able to paint over the Herculiner. If the Herculiner is new, you should paint the surface within 24 hours after the second coat has been applied.If the Herculiner is more than 24 hours old but not yet weathered, then wire brush the surface prior to applying the paint."
PapaC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PapaC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2018 at 6:34am
and found this answer on another thread on yet another site

Herculiner. Wear gloves, strain with cheese cloth if you want a smother finish and use it in a well ventilated area - not your basement.”
Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2018 at 1:18pm
I have used Durabak for a "bedliner type" coating but without the texture. It works great and is smooth. They also make a textured product too but I have only used Herculiner in that deperatment.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2018 at 1:52pm
Thanks guys I figured it has to work. I'll be doing this most likely Friday so I will know the results soon enough.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
GeorgiaFlattie View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeorgiaFlattie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2018 at 2:08pm
Also, be very careful about what you touch while wearing aforementioned gloves. If you get it on any skin it stays there for a long time.
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2018 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by Spinnas Spinnas wrote:

I have used Durabak for a "bedliner type" coating but without the texture. It works great and is smooth. They also make a textured product too but I have only used Herculiner in that deperatment.

I was going to bring up Durabak too.  I used their textured product in the tub of my Bronco, but knew it was also available smooth.

My thought on straining is that I remember the liquid being pretty thick, so I'd think it'd be difficult to get it to flow through anything very quickly.  But evidently it is possible from what others have posted here.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
mullen46cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mullen46cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2018 at 8:48pm
Everytime I see a reference to Herculiner it reminds of the old "Herculiner on my Hootus" story on another site.
Just remember to take your gloves off before going to the bathroom.
Bruce Mullen   Harrisville, WV       

46 CJ2A column shift SOLD 07-15
48 CJ2A with Newgren lift
55 CJ5

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2018 at 10:45pm
I am well versed with the use of Latex type gloves and sh*t that never wants to wear off skin. POR-15 is terrible for it. So was the Old Original Hammerite paint.

I'm also going to plot out how I do the painting so that I am not working over anything that has already been covered. Also going to Mask everything not being coated.

I plan on starting in the middle of the Tunnel and working towards the side wall basically.

My biggest worry is pulling masking tape. I have seen a few people recommend FROG tape but thats a waste of money since the only reason FROG tape is anything special is the chemical on it that causes LATEX paint to set up very fast before it can creep. And this stuff sure ain't Latex paint it is a resin that is setup by exposure to moisture just like POR-15 is. 
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
JeepN95YJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepN95YJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2018 at 12:03am
I did Herculiner in my YJ way ba ck in 1998 or 99.  

The main complaint I had with it was that the "granules" were ground tires.  That meant that there were a few pieces of wire imbedded as texture.  My bedliner actually rusted.  By that I mean that the wire pieces rusted on top of the bedliner.

Personally, I would not use Herculiner again.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2018 at 1:30am
Originally posted by JeepN95YJ JeepN95YJ wrote:

I did Herculiner in my YJ way ba ck in 1998 or 99.  

The main complaint I had with it was that the "granules" were ground tires.  That meant that there were a few pieces of wire imbedded as texture.  My bedliner actually rusted.  By that I mean that the wire pieces rusted on top of the bedliner.

Personally, I would not use Herculiner again.

I'm going to make a guess that 20 years on and having read some 50 reviews on Amazon and a dozen or so on other web sites NO ONE else has mentioned this it may not apply to the current product.

That said I'll stir a nice strong magnet I have around in the brew before I start playing with it.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2018 at 7:51pm
I put this stuff on today there is a write up in my Project thread.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
 Post Reply Post Reply