Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Perfect tow vehicle?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Perfect tow vehicle?
    Posted: 29 Nov. 2018 at 12:33pm
Been playing the lottery in anticipation of the new Wrangler PU.  Always wanted to have a Jeep PU to tow my CJs to shows.  My fear is the price -

Barry
https://www.farmjeep.com/
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2018 at 3:00pm
I saw a blurb on that yesterday myself.

"Perfect tow vehicle" is about like saying "ultimate trail jeep" though.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2018 at 3:51pm
Given all the recent Gladiator concept vehicles that have been shown at different Jeep events, that actually look like a Gladiator, I'm a little disappointed that in the end, they just took a wrangler and put a bed on it.

I'm not to big on taking a modern vehicle that doesn't look any like the classic namesake. IMO, they did it right with the T-bird, 2005 Mustang, and Dodge Challenger...... Dodge Charger? ... not so much.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2018 at 3:55pm
Did I hear somewhere this was a wrangler "cab" on dodge pickup running gear?  (not really familiar with either, but if true they took a long time getting there)
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2018 at 3:59pm
My F250 is paid for..Thumbs Up
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2018 at 4:31pm
Having a clear title and a full tank of fuel is sure the best truck.
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2018 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Given all the recent Gladiator concept vehicles that have been shown at different Jeep events, that actually look like a Gladiator, I'm a little disappointed that in the end, they just took a wrangler and put a bed on it.

I'm not to big on taking a modern vehicle that doesn't look any like the classic namesake. IMO, they did it right with the T-bird, 2005 Mustang, and Dodge Challenger...... Dodge Charger? ... not so much.

The one I hated the most was in the 80s when Chevy took a Toyota Corolla and badged it as a Nova. Broke my heart.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2018 at 4:50pm
By the time (IF) it comes out I bet it will push $60k.....at that ( or in that neighborhood) a full size truck with a full size power train would make alot more sense to me in a tow vehicle. (just an opinion)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2018 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Did I hear somewhere this was a wrangler "cab" on dodge pickup running gear?  (not really familiar with either, but if true they took a long time getting there)

The USA Today article linked in the first post says "Jeep re-engineered the Wrangler’s frame, lengthening the wheelbase 19.4 inches".  It also says that a 3.6L V6 is the engines (same as a JL Wrangler) and that a 3.0L diesel is coming (same as reported for the JL).  So I think they built it off the Wrangler, not really factoring the Ram pickup in at all (because Dodge doesn't make trucks anymore... )

I'd heard Jeep was leaking that it was going to have the highest tow rating in it's class.  That might be true after it gets the diesel, but I can't really see the 3.6L towing a 7500 lb trailer.

To Jeff's comments about it not looking anything like a Gladiator, I agree that it's unfortunate that they chose to recycle that name (because this certainly isn't a modern interpretation of a Gladiator).  It would have been a lot more appropriate to name it the Scrambler.

My son is going to be very interested in this vehicle though.  He's been planning on getting a JL Wrangler in a few years as a daily driver and moderate-duty rock crawler.  But he's also lamenting losing easy access to my pickup when he move out on his own (he packed leaves into the back of a Ford Escape to clear his lawn this fall).  The wheelbase and rear overhang will really hurt the new Scrambler Gladiator off-road, but it still might be OK for his use.

Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

By the time (IF) it comes out I bet it will push $60k.....at that ( or in that neighborhood) a full size truck with a full size power train would make alot more sense to me in a tow vehicle. (just an opinion)

I don't think there's much doubt it'll come out.  This time last year Jeep revealed the JL Wrangler and it hit the showroom floors in the spring as promised.  I wouldn't expect much different from this.

For price I wouldn't expect it to be that much more than a JL Wrangler.  Those start around $30K, with most being probably around $40 - $50K.  But we'll see on that too.

But yeah, I don't see this replacing my F-250 as a tow vehicle.

Edited by Nothing Special - 29 Nov. 2018 at 6:27pm
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2018 at 6:38pm
There have been rumors of the Gladiator comeback, then this vehicle shows up to EJS last year:

.... then the slap a box on the back of a wrangler
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

markcl52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markcl52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2018 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

There have been rumors of the Gladiator comeback, then this vehicle shows up to EJS last year:

.... then the slap a box on the back of a wrangler

A lot of folks in this community might long for the original Gladiator looks, but we are in the minority. The target buyer of the NEW Gladiator has no idea what the ORIGINAL Gladiator was. They would much rather buy a Wrangler Pickup. Which still begs the question, why use the Gladiator name? Maybe because they already owned the rights to it and it still sounds cool?
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2018 at 9:05pm
I'm with Jpet ! _ _ _ the new Gladiator should resemble the old-ones.
The photo of the red gladiator sure is pretty with the stock'ish wheels.

So, let's see here, hmm, the tow rig capabilities of the Gladiator ?

In 1971, the Gladiator came out with the 350 Buick V-8 engine w/ 2-bbl. carb.
These are old enough that in California they do not have to be smogged.
According to Chilton's the 350 put out 230 hp in '71 with 8.5:1 comp.

In my town, there are a couple of Nice early Gladiators running around. :)
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2018 at 2:05am
I would think of buying the new Jeep pickup except that every photo I've seen of it has 4 doors.  What if I don't want 4 doors?  What if I don't want a pickup to be a luxo-boat?  What if I don't want a new Jeep to be a luxo-boat?  Does Jeep even care?
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2018 at 2:49am
I edit the SAE's magazine and attended the LA Auto Show this week where FCA officially launched the JT Gladiator. We'd seen the truck a month ago at an embargoed media backgrounder, prior to L.A., and spent 3 hours with the engineering team and designers on this program. My observations:

- this is officially a 2020-model, still in pilot build at the Toledo plant;

- the JT is a long vehicle, due to it being based on the long-wheelbase 4-door Wrangler. The frame was lengthened aft of the rear kick-up. The frame/chassis are extremely stout;

- to gain production scale, the JT frame will underpin a new Ram midsize pickup that's in the development pipeline;

- I, too, would have preferred that Jeep productionize the "J Pickup" concept truck they showed a few years ago, which was very true to the original Kaiser Jeep J-10 Gladiator. But that would have maybe sold well for a short time then dropped fast, like the Comanche did in the late 1980s. The classic Wrangler "Jeep" look is what people all over the world know and love--FCA sold over 300,000 Wranglers last year. There is far better chance of sustained sales of a Jeep pickup if it looks like Wrangler, rather than the original Kaiser J-10 truck that many of us vintage Jeep guys love. Also, standard-cab pickups don't sell except to contractors, and then in very low volumes. So this had to have 4 doors in order to make a business case.

- the engineers debated a turbocharged 4-cylinder diesel as the JT option, rather than the V6 diesel that it gets. But they opted for the greater torque and smoother running qualities of the six.

- regarding putting the Gladiator name on this, FCA already had rights to the name and simply opted for it rather than call it Scrambler. The CJ8 wasn't really a pickup anyway.

The new Gladiator looked great at the LA Show and the four or five of them on display were absolutely mobbed all day yesterday. One orange version had its windshield folded down, the doors removed, and two KTM motocross bikes tied down in the bed. It looked outstanding. As for this as a tow vehicle to pull a trailer carrying a 2A, I'd opt for a proper 1/2 ton or 3/4-ton pickup myself. 

Edited by LuzonRed47 - 30 Nov. 2018 at 3:02am
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2018 at 3:52am
Originally posted by LuzonRed47 LuzonRed47 wrote:

....  - the JT is a long vehicle, due to it being based on the long-wheelbase 4-door Wrangler. The frame was lengthened aft of the rear kick-up. The frame/chassis are extremely stout;.... 

It sure looks to me like the wheelbased was stretched from the JL Unlimited too.  The Wrangler rear tire is tucked up pretty close to the angled cut of the rear door while the JT looks to have over a foot between the fender opening and the door.  (Meaning it's a really long vehicle, for a Jeep anyway.)
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2018 at 7:37am
I'm curious to see how it tows that capacity. My Wrangler JKU with the 3.6,  6 speed, struggles to maintain 75 mph while towing my 3A on an aluminum trailer. If there's a headwind... forget about it. Constant 5th and 6th gear changes. 

Why can't we just get a Hemi and be done with it?
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2018 at 11:28am
I'm retired and get breathless when I find out the price for these new vehicles. Gas mileage is ridiculous, Def fluids, urea for the diesels with EGR systems that plug up every 17,000 miles and cost 1300.00 to fix. Full coverage insurance and a monthly payment system that add in interest . Do people ever look at the total cost and what it's worth in 5-10 years after it depreciates. I just don't get it anymore. Ouch In 1978, my brand new house cost 36,700.00 dollars. With a 30 year loan and interest it would have cost me 120,000.00 by pay off. New Ram diesel pickups that cost 85,000.00 and have a problem with nozzles coking and then spraying a hole through the block. Only 22000,00 to fix??????? You can't afford to not have warrenty. So, I'm afraid they have me priced out of this game.

I will say a new rig smells nice inside and drives great. I now look for a 10 year old vehicle that has all the quirks fixed and was taken care of. Depending on what you are towing, get a truck that weighs more than the tow load. Spring rates for the load, heavy duty clutch or transmission, exhaust brake or tow mode automatic with braking in the tranny, load rated tires, and a GVWR that is rated to do what you want. I guess the lawyers have found out if you are overloaded and past the GVWR and have a wreck, they lick their chops looking at you!!!!!!!!!!Confused 

Jeep Scramblers are now rare and collectable. I have two Jeep 2000 Wranglers that get us around fine, but are not all that good in a headwind and mileage sucks. They do have round headlights! Big smile I'm sure these new pickup Jeeps will be a fad for a while. I hope all the buyers have good paying jobs. Wink
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2018 at 11:33am
Well, I think we can all agree that Jeep should not make decisions like this without running them by the 2A Page first!!

Edited by jpet - 30 Nov. 2018 at 11:35am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>