Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Picked up a Bantam Trailer Today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Picked up a Bantam Trailer Today
    Posted: 02 Dec. 2018 at 9:01pm
Today I took a ride up to Pennsylvania from my my home in Maryland to look at a Bantam trailer.  Turns out the trailer was is really great shape so I purchased it today.  I will post some additional photos, but the S/N is 3022 from what I can read from the data plate and it has two combat wheels and a standard spare tire.  The only modification I can see so far is the original owner welded a plate on the inside from panel and ran some all-thread through to hold a spare tire on the front of the trailer.  Also, the original safety chain hooks are missing.  I was looking for a reference table for the S/N so I can date the year of manufacture.  Anyone have a reference to point me towards?

Thanks,

berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2018 at 9:16pm
Congratulations, looks in great shape. I can't help with the S/N question but if you have not check it out -->http://www.bantamt3c.com/
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2018 at 10:13pm
dluber,
Congratulations!  As Dennis pointed out visit Art's website and compare the items listed in the "Database" with what you have, i.e. shackles, casting, frame supports, etc.  to narrow it down. 

It looks like you've got a complete Fulton coupler!
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2018 at 10:55pm
Thanks for the reference, based on my initial assessment, it looks to be a 1946.  The owner provided me with a document they created that recounts the history of this trailer in their family.  It claims to start somewhere around 1944-1945 when the person that wrote the history document was six-seven years old.  I'm thinking the memories may be a bit off in the document, but I'm still doing my research.  I'm really surprised to find a Bantam in this good of shape here on the east coast, but according to the documentation provided, it's always been in a barn or garage for storage. 

The only other quick observation I made was the last 2 of the S/N 3022 is a faint strike on the data plate and is not a full strike of the 2 - only the top curve and angle down.  It may be possible this is #302 vs 3022 and what I have is a error strike on the plate.  If it was 302, it would likely be a 1945. 

Edited by dluber - 02 Dec. 2018 at 11:06pm
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2018 at 12:07am
A tell tale sign of 1945 is 4 side tie downs as all document trailers from 1945 have been left over military surplus beds.

Congrats - looks like a nice trailer!
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2018 at 12:31am
I went out to the garage and I have 3 tie downs on each side, one on the back and one on the front.  Looks like it's a '46. All the tie downs are in great shape.

Edited by dluber - 03 Dec. 2018 at 1:00am
PackRat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PackRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2018 at 6:38pm
Three holes in spring mounts up to #2100 +/-
Tube rear support up to #2122 +/-
Four side tie-downs up to #1827 +/-

So...it isn't "302" but could be 3302 or even 13302 possibly. With that in mind, it is still probably a 1946 or so production. Can you post a pic of the data plate that is a clear, closeup? Over the years, rust and an occasional sandblaster or the use of sandpaper on the data plate has often nearly obliterated the lightly stamped serial number.
GPW-17963 4/24/42
Ford F-250
Alaskan Camper
Bantam T3-C #21170
WellFedHobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2018 at 1:06am
Looks to be a nice find with an original 0-6 coupler. Well preserved example of a T3-C, kind of cool that it came with combat wheels.
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2018 at 9:13pm
I took a few minutes today to take some additional photos of the trailer and a few items that came along with the sale - new wiring, basic lights, and the original reflectors.  I took a photo of the SN, but I may need to go back out with my macro lens and a tripod to really get a close shot.

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2018 at 9:15pm

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2018 at 9:17pm

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2018 at 9:19pm

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2018 at 9:22pm
Just a couple other notes, the one remaining light on the trailer is plastic and it's possible the original color was green. 
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2018 at 9:53pm
Here is the story I received when I purchased the trailer.  I've edited some of the names to make sure the privacy of the original owner is protected.

Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2018 at 10:23pm
Thanks David for sharing pictures and story of your trailer.
Thumbs Up

Giles
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2018 at 10:32pm
Really in amazing shape and that letter of its history is a nice added touch. If not already you should frame it.
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2018 at 12:27am
Thanks for sharing the trailer's 'story'--it appears to be in great shape. The underside of Bantam trailers reveal how close to the edge that company was operating when the WWII contracts expired, and it was clear the company had lost any hope of building jeeps. Looking toward civilian trailer production, someone at Bantam made the decision to eliminate the two hydraulic Gabriel or Monroe shock absorbers, which then cost perhaps a few bucks each. Seems like a skin-flint move, but it was a cost reduction that was important to making their 1/4-ton trailer business profitable. Of course, when the US gov't needed 1/4-ton trailers for the Korean War, they again spec'd hydraulic shocks for the M100. By then Bantam was at death's door.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
takesiteasy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takesiteasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2018 at 12:32am
Great story and the letter is a nice touch. Trailer is in great shape and shows the care taken with it over the years.

I have a trailer that also spent its former life with one family. They told me some stories and gave me some old photos of it in use. I posted some of them earlier in this same section of the Forum). For me it adds a lot to the enjoyment of trailer knowing its history. I hope the same for you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>