Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

hood mounted spare tire?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2018 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

Don't do either. You will be sorry if you do.

Reminds me of another story... don't do it....

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Grumpy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2018 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

JMO - ‘Way back before I was a jeeper, when I was a little kid, I hated that. I could see then that it would be destructive, and Pop was quick enough to point out the disadvantages. In my opinion it just looks stupid.   BW
Gotta agree with Bruce the way it would look! If you like the Range Rover look buy one. The only thing I disagree with Bruce is he won’t let me bring Suzi to his run.
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2018 at 1:58pm
It can be discouraging sometimes when you get these "out of the box" ideas.... I say, if you really like the look you should go for it and learn for yourself... You can always take it down if you hate it... Enjoy and good luck!!
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
Frank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2018 at 2:48pm
To all,

Hopefully this link will work for you

If the link doesn't work google USMC ambulance jeep and it should come up.

This is one way to do it if so warranted.

Frank 

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2018 at 3:26pm
Yep, looks like somebody was cleaning up around the motor pool and just laid that wheel/tire up there until they could sweep the floor.

Still doesn't look 'natural' even in that picture to my eyes....but to each his own. Your Jeep, your spare.   

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2018 at 4:43pm
How about a front-mounted spare, in the spirit of the WWII airdrop look?  It wouldn't get in the way of engine access and it wouldn't require much bracing, if any.  Engine cooling might suffer.

Edited by tamnalan - 06 Dec. 2018 at 4:45pm
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
markcl52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markcl52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2018 at 5:16pm
You need to do this. Get it done and then post pictures and results. 

Haha. I don’t know about you but every time someone tells me not to do something, it makes me want to do it even more. 

jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2018 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by markcl52 markcl52 wrote:

You need to do this. Get it done and then post pictures and results. 

Haha. I don’t know about you but every time someone tells me not to do something, it makes me want to do it even more. 

YES! best quote of the day!

my jeep was pieced together in the 80s so it not original whatsoever 
plus its something i like, i was just asking if anyone had tips and tricks to doing this and they did and i appreciate all the comments. 

i'm not into 100% factory looks on these old jeeps. i like an old jeep with a bit of flare and one off style.

i'm running a permanent hard-top also. 

You have only to believe if you wish to achieve. That rhymed. Unintentional - Rod Kimble

jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2018 at 7:11pm
https://www.ww2fabrications.com/saseuropean.htm

this guy makes some cool stuff for old jeeps has a sas hood mount for 50 bucks 

You have only to believe if you wish to achieve. That rhymed. Unintentional - Rod Kimble

Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2018 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

It always kind of amazes me when people start of with ......

Originally posted by jasonbass jasonbass wrote:

what's yalls thoughts on this?

....then people tell them it's a bad idea and go ahead with it anyway.

Just seems like the long way around to me......why not just go ahead and do it (whatever it is) then show us how great it turned out with pictures and descriptions......why ask if your heart's set on doing whatever it is anyway?

Just my opinion.

It's your project, you should do it to suit yourself.

I don't know, it seems like a pretty good approach to me.  After all, he's not just getting people telling him that they think it's a bad idea, he's also getting constructive suggestions about things like reinforcing the hood, and even a link to an available aftermarket product.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2018 at 10:18pm
thank you! i got what i asked for. i found that website from some of the info given by other members i even found this picture 

Edited by Joe Friday - 09 Dec. 2018 at 6:40pm
markcl52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markcl52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2018 at 10:25pm
Cool picture. 

Let us know how it goes. In case anyone else wants to do it in the future. 

3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2018 at 10:50pm
Just remember that if you are going to replace the hood hinge, it is spot welded on the hood and bolted on the firewall. The hinge is subject to rattling  as it is, with no heavy weight on it. You will need a heavily reinforced hood and a heavy hinge.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2018 at 12:06am
I would mount a hood spare onto a  framework made of steel tubing that actually sets just above the hood.
Position the spare way back just shy of touching the windshield.
Rear of framework could rest down upon the cowl windshield pivot bolts.
Front of frame could attach to frame horns or bumper
Put a heavy duty hinge on the framework at front of grill so the spare swings fore-ward then down. 
That way the body and hood  is not modified and the engine is still fairly easy to get at.

Make sense ?

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2018 at 1:50am
When the Rover Co. developed the original Series 1 Land Rover, they improved a number of things that were lacking in the WWII Willys MB that served as their starting point. But they also came up short in other areas. One of the dumbest things the Rover engineers did, in my opinion, is mount the spare on top of the hood. Visibility, engine compartment access, serviceability, etc., all ended up worse than on the Jeep. Other than mount the spare up on the roof, you couldn't find a worse place to put a spare wheel/tire combo than on the hood. 
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2018 at 1:55am
Personally, I'm no fan of a permanent hardtop either, so if you're going to do it, go big or stay home.  And post pics.  (I may not like it for me, but pics can be interesting)
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2018 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

I would mount a hood spare onto a  framework made of steel tubing that actually sets just above the hood.
Position the spare way back just shy of touching the windshield.
Rear of framework could rest down upon the cowl windshield pivot bolts.
Front of frame could attach to frame horns or bumper
Put a heavy duty hinge on the framework at front of grill so the spare swings fore-ward then down. 
That way the body and hood  is not modified and the engine is still fairly easy to get at.

Make sense ?

i saw a post about this on this forum via google of someone who did that with a framed box on there hood. only it was stationary. its a great idea old time, but i think im going for more of a simple (throw it up there nicely) kinda way lol 

RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2018 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by jasonbass[/QUOTE jasonbass[/QUOTE wrote:

thank you! i got what i asked for. i found that website from some of the info given by other members i even found this picture 

[/QUOTE]

If youre gonna go SAS ya gotta mount the twin Vickers as well.. 

Edited by RICKG - 07 Dec. 2018 at 2:30pm
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>