Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Walcks fuel sender float

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Walcks fuel sender float
    Posted: 11 Dec. 2018 at 7:42am
I bought a fuel sender with brass float from Walcks a while back. Installed it and got the gauge reading nicely. I was still on my first tank of fuel when I had to drain the tank and pull it out for repairs - the tank was leaking. More on that soon in my project thread.

Anyhoo, I removed the sender unit and was surprised to see my brass float looking like this:

Anyone had anything similar with a brand new brass float?

1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2018 at 11:30am
Wow - that's unusual.  I put one of those in mine last winter.  Its been working just fine.  Send those photos to Walck's and see if they'll replace it.  All they can say is no.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2018 at 2:35pm
    Dang ! _ _ _ that is a real disappointment.

Now I will have to watch for your Tank-Repair.

The fuel tank in my '46 looked real nice until i pulled it out. Then upon cleaning up, there were rust barnicles on the rear outside of the tank where the oak tree leaves had collected for "umpteen-decades" and when i knocked them off, there were holes through the metal. NOT GOOD

As i read through the information on Walch's fuel tanks, guess what:

It said that the tank is not to be used with Ethanol fuels !

And i am in California, where ethanol is the norm. Any input or thoughts from other members on the repurcussions of using ethanol in these new Tanks ?

Or, do i not need to be concerned ?

Len
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2018 at 2:54pm
Look on Ebay for the '65 mustang float that is brass on the hook end, but solid MFG. A sort of white float material that is not hollow plastic. Should never leak internally. Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2018 at 3:28pm
Hey Oilly,

Is this the one?

I have already ordered a NOS Ford Mustang solid brass, hoping it would be better than the Walcks version, but I do like the idea of something that can't crack open! What is the non-brass material? It looks like a kind of foam, but I have to assume it is suitable for immersion in petrol... or is that an incorrect assumption? LOL

I guess that's another $10 plus shipping, out my wallet Cry Oh well, I'll consider it my Christmas present to myself.
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2018 at 3:32pm
MY Reproduction tank (brand unknown but assume JD Juan or Omix-IDA is coated on both the outside and inside with a Silver Gray coating of some sort.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2018 at 5:23pm
That is it. If it fails, I'm at a loss for something better. Of all my Jeeps, every float has failed except this one. Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
dan s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2018 at 11:39pm
Why not use one of the plastic floats?
That seems like a long term solution to me.
Dan S
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2018 at 12:36am
Originally posted by dan s dan s wrote:

Why not use one of the plastic floats?
That seems like a long term solution to me.
Dan S

If your referring to the plastic float that comes with the sending unit (?) they have the shortes service life of any!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
dan s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2018 at 2:34pm
I've been using a sending unit with a plastic float on it for 4 or 5 years.
Not had any trouble with it yet.
What happens to the plastic floats to make them fail?
Dan S
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2018 at 4:31pm
I'm going on 8 years with my Walck's sending unit with brass float.  The gauge is still reading as it should, so I assume my float hasn't deteriorated like the one shown.   Is it possible there was something in the original tank that was caustic to brass?

Edit:  I will add that I use 10% ethanol fuels on a regular basis.  On the front range of Colorado, I don't have much choice.

Edited by athawk11 - 15 Dec. 2018 at 5:09pm
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2018 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by dan s dan s wrote:

I've been using a sending unit with a plastic float on it for 4 or 5 years.
Not had any trouble with it yet.
What happens to the plastic floats to make them fail?
Dan S

I’ve had 4 fail within months of their installation! the gas seems to eat the seam in the float and it sinks, I guess you have been lucky! ...

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
binthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2018 at 9:47pm
I bought a new sending unit with the plastic float and before two years it was not registering correct at all. I talked to oilleaker and he told me to get the mustang brass float replacement. When I got the float and pulled the plastic one out of the tank, it was full of gas! It must have filtered through the plastic because it sat on the shelf for at least a year before the gas had evaporated out. Don't know, but it just seeped into the float.
chuck
1953 CJ3B "a fistfull of dollars"
1949 willys jeepster "a few dollars more"
and a few other retirement toys

Richard J View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2018 at 10:01pm
my 1946 cj2a original fuel tank has a cork float and is still in good condition. Some of the venders do offer the cork.
Richard
 Post Reply Post Reply