Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help with do I seal up or allow to drain?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
DonH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with do I seal up or allow to drain?
    Posted: 14 Jan. 2019 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Sometimes google is not your friend. The heater boxes in older cars had a rubber extrusion for the drain hole that started out round on the box end, and turned flat on the drain end. It was a sort of drain valve.

Unfortunately, google wants to return search results only on drain valve heaters, not heater box drain valves...

Ford air conditioners use that type of valve attached to the bottom of the evaporator case where the case is mounted under the hood.

DonH
1946CJ2A
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2019 at 7:24pm
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2019 at 7:20pm
Sometimes google is not your friend. The heater boxes in older cars had a rubber extrusion for the drain hole that started out round on the box end, and turned flat on the drain end. It was a sort of drain valve.

Unfortunately, google wants to return search results only on drain valve heaters, not heater box drain valves...
Johnnygeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnnygeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2019 at 4:59pm
Hello,  Man has tried for centuries to control mother nature.  Ultimately it ends in failure. 
I haven't seen the pics but here's how I try to ward off electrical failures.  First, I solder all connections.  This will eliminate most problems.  Then seal connections by smearing with silicone sealer.  While still "wet" slide shrink wrap over the siliconed connection.   Don't do like I do and forget the shrink wrap until after I solder the connection 😤  Make sure shrink wrap generously overlaps the connection. Now heat the shrink wrap.  This makes a fairly permanent connection.
As for the box.  I would put in drain holes.  I would also make it easy to open for cleaning/drying and maintenance.
Here's a weird thought.  Could you put a breather like on a differential in the bottom??  Would that help keep out water yet let any that got in drain??
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2018 at 11:20pm
Are you sure you can't use some kind of packing to seal the wires in and out?  There are electrical fittings made that you could use for that.

If that's definitely out, then coat all connections with some kind of waterproofing substance and have a drain hole or two in your cover.  
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2018 at 10:41pm
So I know more then a few of you have seen the photos of my rear electrical junction box in CHUG's Project thread. I am at a decision point. Do I try to seal up the box (really not possible) or do I drill some nice holes in the bottom (what looks like the top in the photos) and make sure any moisture that does get into the box can find an easy way out. OF COURSE doing that makes sure that water from any kind of water crossing deeper then the top of the Rear cross member will cause water to enter the box.

Either way I am sure if I go into water it will get into the box.

SO whats your vote?
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
 Post Reply Post Reply