Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old hub won't seat on new axle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2019 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Check the Axle dimensions vs the specification.
Sounds like the keyway might be the culprit.

Shaft should be 1.372 +/ 0.001 as it leaves the bearing, and taper to 1.122 at the outer end (1.00 inch taper per foot.) But that's just one old mans opinion.

The Specs were on the other page.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

rmneal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmneal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2019 at 3:04am
Just to put some semblance of closure on this thread, I thought I'd let everyone who suffered through this with me know that the axle from my '48 parts jeep fit my drum like a glove.  Had to reshim a little, drove in the key, added the castle nut, cotter pin, wheel and off for a frigid ride around the block.  Got both axles boxed up and ready to head back to KW....just not going to be able to make them work without throwing more money at them.  Thanks to all for the help in sorting this out!
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2019 at 3:36am
I hope it works but your comment about driving in the key makes me wonder. If you do it correctly the key will slide in using your fingers. If you had to drive it in, it was probably upside down.
uncamonkey
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2019 at 3:39am
Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

I hope it works but your comment about driving in the key makes me wonder. If you do it correctly the key will slide in using your fingers. If you had to drive it in, it was probably upside down.

And if it was upside down, you just cracked your hub... Ouch
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2019 at 4:02am
I've played that game before. I screwed up once. I was wondering about a leak on my Commando axle. Yep, a PO did it wrong so I went out for used parts. I got a good used hub and the counter person started piling bad hubs in a box for me to take away. I suppose that is how they get rid of the junk.
uncamonkey
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2019 at 4:38am
rmneal said: " Got both axles boxed up and ready to head back to KW....just not going to be able to make them work "

So, the "NOS" axle that you got from K-W was,,,,,,   ????   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
rmneal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmneal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2019 at 5:22am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

rmneal said: " Got both axles boxed up and ready to head back to KW....just not going to be able to make them work "

So, the "NOS" axle that you got from K-W was,,,,,,   ????   BW

I have no idea.  The Omix and the NOS were identical in almost every respect.  KW's website says, "These are NOS original military surplus from Europe.  Limited quantities are available."  I have nothing to compare to except the new OMIX ADA which it looked just like (except it had kind of a sand cast look to it in its unmachined areas) and two axles which were probably original out of a '47 & '48.  It looked nothing like them.  I have not looked specifically at M38s or M38A1 axles to see if the design/machining specs may have changed.  

Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

Oh, ye of little faith! Big smile  It was not put in upside down.  The key and keyway on that parts jeep axle was far from finger install-worthy.  "Drive" may not have been the most accurate word to use.  I "helped it along" with a small hammer and a length of brass rod.  

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2019 at 4:24am
So you didn't crack your hub.  Good to read that!  Thumbs Up
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Johnnygeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnnygeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 11:06am
Hello,
 I've just run into the same problem on my m38a1 driver side rear axle. This started as a brake job. Since I had the backing plates off I decided, of course, to replace the seals. I pulled the axle out no problem put in a new seal, the bearings are fine, put the axle  in with no problem. I then put the backing plate on. When I went to put the spindle on it would not seat all the way. When I took it all apart originally I noticed the spindle nut did not have a cotter pin through it so I think the previous owner had this problem and just did nothing but tighten up the spindle nut and leave it the way it was. They must have initially tried to force it as the spindle has a bulge on one end! Fortunately I had  spare. The spindle is about a half-inch from seating fully.  This is without the key in.  So now I'm going to try to mic everything (tnanks for the spec sheet) and use Emery cloth to try and take a few thousands off and still keep the correct taper.  Yeesh!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123