Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old hub won't seat on new axle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2018 at 5:16pm
Good Day Rob,
Have you resolved your axle issue yet?
If not I have a good spare DS long axle shaft I would donate as long as you pay the packing and shipping costs. If you want to make a donation to my #10536 fund that would be OK too! It was removed from a donor 1948 CJ2A dana 41 about six years ago. If you need photos to be sure please let me know.

Greg

1945 CJ2A #10536
1948 CJ2A #176528 "Elmer"
1948 CJ2A #155970 "Gray Mule"
1948 CJ2A #155365 "Old Yeller" (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2018 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by 3-48s 3-48s wrote:

Good Day Rob,
If not I have a good spare DS long axle shaft I would donate as long as you pay the packing and shipping costs. If you want to make a donation to my #10536 fund that would be OK too! It was removed from a donor 1948 CJ2A dana 41 about six years ago. If you need photos to be sure please let me know.

Greg

Well, there you go! "CJ2Apage" at its very best!
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2018 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

Omix-ADA doesn't make any of the parts they sell, but instead rely on various manufacturers to supply them with parts to sell.

My complaint is that Omix doesn't check any of the manufacturers work before they put it on their shelves. Parts that have critical dimensions such as an axle shaft should have to pass dimensional and metalurgical tests before Omix even takes delivery on a shipment. Since little or no effort is made to confirm the characteristics of a part, they are shipped out to the wholesaler (K-W, Walck's, etc.) and from there to the user. I guess Omix expects the user to just deal with the situation.

Why Omix doesn't crack down on those manufacturers that make out-of-tolerance parts is something I don't understand. Why have something manufactured for sale that obviously won't be able to be used?

Omix needs to check their suppliers work and make sure that the part can be installed without a problem to the user right out of the box. The cost to manufacture a correct fitting part is exactly the same as a part that won't fit.

Sooner or later the jeep world will run out of new old stock parts.

Omix-ADA has a poor reputation now, but they could change that if they cared to police their suppliers.

Exactly. And if we would all return those parts with a suggestion to place them where sunlight will never fall on them (you know what I mean), rather than re-make them to work, or "living with it", maybe they would get the hint and do something about it.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2018 at 9:55pm
Look how long it took them to do something about the steering sector shafts that were made so badly.  They need to see the complaints.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
rmneal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmneal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2018 at 3:56am

Good Day Rob,

Greg

Hey Greg...sent you a PM.  You are one of many who make this forum the greatest!  Thanks!

rmneal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmneal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2018 at 4:11am
I called Kaiser Willys this morning and am returning the axle.  Super easy to work with.  Told them the issue and they're sending a return label, shipping paid!  I did break down and order their NOS axle before I saw the generous offer from 3-48s.  Sounded like I got the last one they had.  Sure looking forward to getting her back on the road!
3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2018 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by rmneal rmneal wrote:

Good Day Rob,

Greg

Hey Greg...sent you a PM.  You are one of many who make this forum the greatest!  Thanks!

I appreciate the kind word, however I was just paying it forward as we all should on the 2A Page when we can. That is what Ralph Young did on so many occasions when he was with us & I certainly agree.
1945 CJ2A #10536
1948 CJ2A #176528 "Elmer"
1948 CJ2A #155970 "Gray Mule"
1948 CJ2A #155365 "Old Yeller" (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2018 at 9:18pm
Just make sure it's not NOS omixada! heck it could have been returned to them before and has been laying on a shelf for many years

Just my $.02

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2018 at 9:44pm
Lets keep in mind that OMIX is an importer. They don't make Jeep parts. They shop for them, import them, inventory them, and ship them.

I agree they 'should' have someone to assure that they are quality in fit and function, but typical Jeep guys don't want to pay high enough parts prices to achieve that level of quality.

My bigger concern is whether they continue to sell Jeep parts after the Truck Hero buy-out
rmneal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmneal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2019 at 3:55am
Got my NOS axle in from Kaiser Willys last Friday, just before I headed out of town for the last weekend of hunting season.  I had just enough time to dry fit it on my hub and discovered it is machined almost exactly like the Omix Ada axle.  Hmmmm....  Not sure if I mentioned it before, but I have a 1947 parts jeep that I keep out on the old hunting grounds, so I decided I'd go ahead and pull that axle and compare it to the other three here at home.  

The Omix Ada and NOS are very similar in most dimensions and the broken one from my '47 is almost identical to the one out of the '48.  I'm guessing the "NOS" is a Western Auto NOS from the '60s or something.  I began the measurement from the beginning of the taper (1.3775" on all but Omix which was 1.378") down 2".  The two new axles were easy see the beginning of the taper, the older ones were a little more difficult. 

The Omix Ada diameter at 2" from beginning of taper is 1.2195" = .933" per foot
The "NOS" diameter at 2" from beginning of taper is 1.2185" = .939" per foot
The 1948 axle diameter at 2" from beginning of taper is 1.1945" = 1.083" per foot
The 1947 axle diameter at 2" from beginning of taper is 1.2055" = 1.017" per foot

The Omix and "NOS" seem to be a beefier axle than the two "originals" I have.  Not sure exactly what I'm going to do.  I had planned on rebuilding the axles on my parts jeep and use them on a future project.  It's sure looking like I have two axles I'm going to have to return to KW.  Man...why can't jeep ownership be affordable....

Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2019 at 1:44am
I was hoping to see a post saying everything was worked out.
The 47 axel looks a bit longer and maybe not quite straight.
1946 CJ2A 14098
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2019 at 1:57am
Could the hub be the problem?

BOULDER 48 2A
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2019 at 4:16am
I'd bet that they are beefier to try to make up for lesser quality steel. 

Bummer about the problems you're having. I prefer good used parts to anything offered by O-A. They're okay for for shift knobs and such....maybe......but that's where it ends for me. 

Hate when places that sell new parts don't disclose, and sometimes try to hide, that they are selling O-A parts. That should tell ya something right there. 
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2019 at 8:18am
You can not judge the straightness of anything based on a photo off the internet. Especially if the photo was taken with the short focal length lenses in a cell phone camera as they all suffer from some degree of Barrel Distortion

Think close up of a face where the NOSE looks huge and the ear look small thats a form of barrel distortion.

If you draw a perfectly straight line on a white piece of paper and hold your camera directly over it from say 18" away the line will appear to have a slight curve to it.

Keep in mind that many of these parts have been used in India since they started making Willys jeeps there in 1947. Granted this is no excuse for something being out of spec.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2019 at 1:33pm
The most obvious difference to me are the length of the keyway and the thicknesses of the "flange" just inboard of the keyway.

Not sure this could cause your problems, but the differences in these two items are marked! 
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
rmneal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmneal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2019 at 5:58am
Originally posted by Bill2A Bill2A wrote:

I was hoping to see a post saying everything was worked out.
The 47 axel looks a bit longer and maybe not quite straight.

Yeah, this has been quite a whipping!  I mis-typed in my post...my parts jeep is actually a '48, not a '47.  The '47 axle looks longer because it was the one that broke.  You can see the break right in the middle which adds a little "length" to it compared to the others lying next to it.  That's also why it does not appear straight.

Originally posted by TERRY TERRY wrote:

Could the hub be the problem?

I wish I knew, Terry.  I brought the hub and axle home from the '48 parts jeep...just in case I needed to use them as a set.  The '48 hub will need a bit of rust removal, so I'm hoping my '47 hub fits with no issues.

Originally posted by wheelie wheelie wrote:

I prefer good used parts to anything offered by O-A. They're okay for for shift knobs and such....maybe......but that's where it ends for me. 

Yeah, some of the stuff I see from them are like Harbor Freight...the basic layout of the part you need it's just up to the buyer to finish it out! lol

Originally posted by JeepSaffer JeepSaffer wrote:

The most obvious difference to me are the length of the keyway and the thicknesses of the "flange" just inboard of the keyway.

Not sure this could cause your problems, but the differences in these two items are marked! 

In so far as I can tell, the Omix and "NOS" axles would both work if you put them back on a lathe and shaved the taper down to 1" per foot...currently they are ~.93" per foot.  

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2019 at 6:07am
I can feel your frustration from here. You could have a good machine shop fix it but they just sent the wrong part and it is up to them to make it right, not for you to pay for it.
uncamonkey
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2019 at 6:23am
It would be nice if some one could find what the original spec is for that taper.
I wonder if hubs differ that much.
Was there a revision for some reason?
Maybe OA just made it fit a worn hub they had on hand?
The 48 parts will get it back together, but it would be nice to know what is really right.
1946 CJ2A 14098
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>