Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post your pics! Winch mounted behind bumper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Snyder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2019 at 3:50pm
PO made a nice, simple plate bumper to hold the winch.  It folds under for the bottom bolts to go in and is gusseted on both sides of the winch.

Here I am using it as a battering ram at Palo Duro last year.  This is what you get in to when your wheeling group is all on 37s and 40s.

Edited by Chris Snyder - 19 Apr. 2019 at 9:07pm
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2019 at 5:22am
Welcome to the page, Chris!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2019 at 8:32pm
Chris, Welcome to the madness!

Your link is hidden & for members only. Thus, I can not look at it. I am sure that it is awesome.

Again, Welcome aboard, Cpt Logger.
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2019 at 9:20pm
It's good to see another vintage Belleview or Warn still being used

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Chris Snyder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Snyder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2019 at 1:20am
Originally posted by jeeper50 jeeper50 wrote:

It's good to see another vintage Belleview or Warn still being used

I love it but dang it is heavy.  I am probably going to swap the steel cable out for a synthetic line and lose some weight.
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2019 at 1:11pm
I just mounted my winch last night. I wanted to keep it as low as possible so it doesnt block airflow to my coolers. I just have to cut my fairlead into the bumper. I weighed the winch with cable was 60lbs. without cable and hook it was 45.... I have synthetic winch line coming this week. 

Edited by Millennium falcon - 27 Apr. 2019 at 1:22pm
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2019 at 3:24pm
That looks good....that's the way I mounted my Warn 6000 on my Pinto /Saginaw.

In respect to weight, winch plus engine conversion is still probably waaaay lighter than original engine.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2019 at 3:31pm
Where/how are you mounting the solenoid box?

I mounted mine in the engine compartment. I liked it that way but was inconvenient to plug into when needed. (I used a dash mounted switch for most occasions)

Eventually I bought a replacement plug and mounted it (facing out) in the fender well so the the hood didn't need to be raised to plug into it.....I've also seen the same idea mounted through the grill sheet metal.

It just really cleans things up when you can get the solenoid box hidden...IMO.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2019 at 12:24am
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

I mounted mine in the engine compartment. I liked it that way but was inconvenient to plug into when needed. (I used a dash mounted switch for most occasions)

Eventually I bought a replacement plug and mounted it (facing out) in the fender well so the the hood didn't need to be raised to plug into it.....I've also seen the same idea mounted through the grill sheet metal.

I agree! I will post some pictures once its all wired.   The box is under the hood. my control box is wireless so the location is a non-issue. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 4:16am
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Here is a picture of the box and wireless adapter.... Kinda hard to see but is right off the side of the battery. 

masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 12:18pm

Edited by masscj2a - 15 May 2019 at 12:23pm
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 12:24pm
When I was done the license plate bracket flipped up and the fairlead was behind it. Worked nicely.
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 3:47pm
Hi Jeff !

Below are a couple of shots of the thru-bumper fairlead on the '46 that took the wife and I through the Rubicon two summers. The winch was already mounted to the Willys when I had purchased it in 1984. Seems to me that the 4-inch channel front bumper was welded to the frame rails.
And you cannot see it in the photo, but there is a Saginaw PS box inside the frame rails and winch that I had installed using an Advance Adapters Plate.

_ _ I don't understand why photos come-in rotated ?

Second photo is of how I mounted a new Warn to my '77 Cj (not 2A sorry), but i fabricated the mount to bolt to existing holes in the front crossmember and on top. There are plate steel angle braces that go back to the rear mounting.
   The pre-runner bumper front loop is there so I can nudge up against a tree if need-be as a winch anchor. The removable skid plate below is functional to protect my Tie-Rod from knuckle-head-rocks and protects my steering too.

The frame for the skid plate is made from round black pipe and square tube.
and the aluminum skid plate is sourced from an old county road sign that i bought at a yard sale for the aluminum.

I always thought that pre-runner bumpers were Cool. _ _ just me.

There have been some interesting winch mount solutions posted !!

Edited by Greaser007 - 16 May 2019 at 3:52pm
cjbilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 4:12pm
Here is my buddies '46 VEC with winch installed. He removed the plastic cover and replaced with a metal cover. After water jetting the cover, weathered it to give an more industrial look.

1984 CJ7
1946 CJ2A- Supersonic motor
1948 CJ2A- Ramsey DP-1 shifter,PTO,front Ramsey MX200-R winch, Newgren lift
1955 Sears Trailer
1955 CJ5- PTO/belt drive,farm weight
1954 CJ3B- trencher,front blade
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 2:49am
Originally posted by Greaser007 Greaser007 wrote:

I always thought that pre-runner bumpers were Cool.

When they were new they were kind of okay but after the 10,000th one, the freshness was gone and they were just too copy-cat-ish.  There's no way to prevent the creeping staleness of any new idea, sadly.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 5:34pm
Ha, Mike, yes they are still popular today in desert race trucks.

Watching the Mint 400 desert race in Las Vegas, one year way-back, and most all the trucks ran the Pre-Runner bumpers. I quickly discovered they are Not for looks but for Purpose.   
    There was a box-culvert undercrossing going under the highway, and when the VW powered buggies would slow down for the culvert, many would stall. And some would stall inside the culvert. The race trucks would slow down somewhat and just center-punch the buggies on out the other end with their pre-runner bumpers, Ka-Bang !    I guess I just like the "bling" factor for something to add some color to instead of traditional Black.   just me

Now, just for fun, while we are talking winches:
Below, if I loads is a photo of my son and I, after just getting home from my dad's deer camp. The weather stormed to beat the band, and this is lava cap country, but the areas where there was an incline with slick dirt (mud), i had to winch. We winched our way in, and did less winching to get out. So, if you look close, i quit retrieving my cable after the first two pulls, and just rapped the cable around the pre-runner bumper, which in the case of the Ford Van, the pre-runner IS the winch mount, to be able to retain the stock chrome front bumper. (another mad-scientist creation). snicker
    I still like them, and each time i see one, it brings back those images of the Desert Race trucks punching those buggies throuh the Box-Culvert.
    Inspection-day at the races allows us to see all kinds of mans wild-idea creations in metal fabricating.   I don't think race trucks have heavy winches.
     My son and i always went in to deer-camp the hard-way just to be able to break-out the winch during wet weather.   
    I have yet to try the new synthetic winch rope.

Oh, hahaha, i am on my second winch motor for the Van. so it has been getting it's fair share of use.   I winched a Sea Container through the carport to get it into the back yard, and after burning up the winch motor, i gave up and just drug the thing using the van as my Rubber-Tired-Skidder.
    Ok, then, back to the through-the-bumper-winch mount on CJ2A's.

:)
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2020 at 12:43am
Got around to welding up my channel bumper and winch mount plate and bolted it into place, then lifted the Belleview into place. not as much room as I hoped. So I plan on moving the bumper forward 1" or so to give the winch more clearance from the grill. 

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2020 at 10:29pm
Got my winch installed on the bumper today before the storms get here.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>