Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Data plates...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomicflatulence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Data plates...
    Posted: 02 Jan. 2019 at 1:04am
hi guys.  Finally...found a 2a with title!  But these are the data plates.  Is the title worthless with plates like these?
'46 cj2a #62239
'47 cj2a #134192
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2019 at 1:53am
Nope contact ROB at Dataplate4U and have hime custom stamp plates with the number from your title. They will be EXACTLY like brand new originals. Takes a couple weeks he's in the Netherlands his work is outstanding. and not expensive for what your getting.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2019 at 3:53pm
I can vouch for Rob. His plates are beautiful.
atomicflatulence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomicflatulence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2019 at 4:37pm
So a good title is only I really really need?
'46 cj2a #62239
'47 cj2a #134192
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2019 at 5:19pm
Well if you have a good title. then you can have matching plates made. Yes. It would be a good thing if the title actually goes to the Jeep you have. Or most of it. Or some of it. Or something a lot like it.

you get my drift?
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2019 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by atomicflatulence atomicflatulence wrote:

Some states require an inspection before the vehicle can be tagged. I'm not sure what New Jersey does, but Kansas requires a VIN check on all newly tagged vehicles (especially those vehicles coming from out of state) except those vehicles that are transferred by manufacturers title (new car dealerships). It would be a requirement in my state (Kansas) that the VIN number on the title match a number on the vehicle...no match equals problems!

I ordered new body and serial number tags from Robert in The Netherlands along with a dash plate and they were perfect reproductions. Excellent work... Robert even offers OEM style screws to mount the plates with.

https://dataplates4u.com/
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2019 at 5:44pm
The title should be a serviceable Willy’s serial number. So if your title looks like the number it should be, this may require a bit of serial number research, you could have the data plate stamped with that correct number. Unfortunately as these jeeps have been passed around titles get all jumbled up. Many times we see engine numbers listed as the serial number on the title or you’ll see numbers that make absolutely no sense. So, fo example, let’s say you have a 48 and the number on the title says it’s a 46 then maybe the number is wrong. Do your research.
If you have the right number the best you can do on a body and frame tag number would be an extrapolation.Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2019 at 5:55pm
Does your rig have a frame tag, and if so does that number match the title?  

ETA: sometimes on stamped tags you can remove them and read them from the back... and those in the pic are so far gone I'd have no reservations sanding from the front trying to find something to read, kind of like sanding the hood of an MB/gpw looking for hood numbers

Edited by mbullism - 02 Jan. 2019 at 5:58pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2019 at 10:14pm
Use a very light cleaning/sanding technique and be patient.  You should be able to get the plate numbers to show.  This is what you're looking for...

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2019 at 1:09am
If/when you need data plates, you cannot do better than Dataplates4u. They are awesome!
GloucesterBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GloucesterBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2019 at 1:38am
I had a title, when I purchased my 47-2a, that was last titled in 1972. I had a tough time last year re-titling. NJDMV (Runnemede) made me pencil sketch my frame tag(front drivers side frame behind the bumper/numbers HAD to match the title). Then, the clerk, with help from his supervisor, could not get the old, 3"x8" brown title number to register. They said the new system required more numbers in the vin then was provided on the old title.Wacko

After a couple hours, a pencil sketch, and a notarized letter from the seller(who moved to North Carolina) I completed an affidavit declaring that I was telling the truth and finally a new title was issued to me. 

other than that, Atomicflatulence, it was a walk in the park!

I have a daughter in Pemberton. I will PM you to see if there is anything we can do for each other; if that's cool?
Jerry

'47 CJ2A #96661

blueiyz123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blueiyz123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2019 at 11:58pm
We’re in Kansas are you? I’m in Lansing. Do you have a Willy’s?
atomicflatulence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomicflatulence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2019 at 12:19am
Omg.  I just saw this.  

Definitely shoot me a pm.  I haven’t been part of a Jeep group in a long while. 

I’m just started learning about these old Willy’s and I’ve read a lot, but still have very little actual experience working on them. 
'46 cj2a #62239
'47 cj2a #134192
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2019 at 12:49am
I see this thread is a bit old but I'm curious; has anyone used the dataplates4u lately. I emailed and never got a response.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2019 at 1:12pm
I got plates from him about 8 months ago. 
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
IRQVET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2020 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

Originally posted by atomicflatulence atomicflatulence wrote:

Some states require an inspection before the vehicle can be tagged.  

I just went through this myself. Mine had a California title and the VIN on the title didn't match the one on the Jeep. When I took it to Oregon, it had to get a VIN inspection by the Oregon State Police (OSP). I was told this was a very common process with old Jeeps as parts and pieces often get swapped around. 

OSP just had the DMV use the serial number off my main tag. I had the main tag, and the body tag, but no frame tag. I also popped for antique plates I scored off eBay. That way I got lifetime registration for only $100 bucks. Thumbs Up
Dean
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
49' CJ2A w/ GPA Engine #8924
67 CJ5 (Sold)
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2020 at 5:29pm
IRQVET thats interesting I haddn't heard of anyone having to go to OSP for an inspection. Was it due to coming from another state or were you missing a valid title or something.

I have a title that dates back to 1962 here in Oregon and just a few days after Dad sold CHUG to me before he passed I transferred the title to my name (mostly so no one could screw with me in Dads will). I even got DMV to return me the title with dads name on it. (big advantage to having a Local DMV office manager who had a crush on me in Hi School LOL).
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
IRQVET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2020 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

IRQVET thats interesting I haddn't heard of anyone having to go to OSP for an inspection. Was it due to coming from another state or were you missing a valid title or something.

I'm no expert on the subject, but from what the DMV told me is Oregon requires a 100% VIN inspection on any out-of-state vehicle that comes into Oregon for the first time. I only know two people who bought Jeeps in California and dragged them back up here to Oregon, and both of them had to go through the OSP VIN inspection.

OSP will either look at all the serial numbers and decide which one to use. Or, they can say screw it and issue their own serial number that comes on a custom blue plate that they issue and control.

The VIN number California issued on the title was a mystery. That number didn't match the serial number or body tag. License plates matched, but that was about it. Its possible it was the number off the frame tag, but mine was missing that when I bought it.

California title listed first year sold as early 1949 (even though the serial number puts it built in 1948). That is also why mine is titled as a 1949 when its really a 1948. Back then I guess California based the year on the year it was first sold and titled, and not based on the year it was built.  Mine might have sat on the dealers lot for a while in 1948, until it finally sold in early 1949.

Edited by IRQVET - 04 Feb. 2020 at 6:17pm
Dean
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
49' CJ2A w/ GPA Engine #8924
67 CJ5 (Sold)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>