Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Travelwagon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Travelwagon
    Posted: 13 Dec. 2023 at 10:29pm

Took the van for a road test the other day when we were experiencing a dry spell and there was a remarkable reduction in noise coming from the back of the van. While it was still on the jackstands, I ran the van up to 100 mph in high gear for a brief moment and it was much smoother than before- it’s probably the only time the needle ever has seen that half of the speedometer!

The Pos-e-traction works too, I’m hoping the grass grows back.

47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2023 at 9:45pm

The driveshaft is back again, this time with 1310 u joints in both ends, it keeps getting shorter. Now the weak link is likely the clutch. 

This upgrade took a few turns from my initial plan, but worked out just fine. Like the song says: “you can’t always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need”, certainly applies here. I had focused on using an Explorer setup and instead, took a step back, reevaluated, and moved forward with the Ranger package. Glad I did, it seems now like the obvious choice. I shared this with the vintage van crowd and it was met with approval.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2023 at 7:40pm

The new axle is much larger than the original, but fits well within its space. It was fun to put this together and see how much OE stuff could be used: the brake hose on the Ranger axle reached the van’s brake line nicely with just relocating a bracket. The sway bar is the big story here with hardly any modifications needed to install. Got some ½” X 8” bolts for attaching the rear shocks and the sway bar end links through the frame rail. The brake lines to the wheel cylinders required some sharp bends after the spring pads were moved out where the van needed them- that was the hardest part of this whole thing. 

The parking brake cables from the old axle fit nicely into the new axle’s backing plates so we’ll still have that same functionality,and the vent hose attaches in the exact same spot on both axles; that was nice.

Now off to the driveline shop, again.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2023 at 10:45am
Thanks Greaser for your comments and for tuning in.

The pipe cutter was a godsend for separating the housing tube as it walked the cutter wheel around and found its initial groove perfectly. There's no way I could have done that free hand. In fact, the machinist chucked up the stub end of the housing in his lathe and said the cut was spot-on.

And it was rented, it was back on their counter in 10 minutes.
48 CJ2A
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2023 at 10:11pm
I happened across this Thread and must admit, I like your nice fab work on the axle housing.
Many times at the wrecking yard I do wonder which axle assembly could easily be shortened or lengthened like you did by swapping different axle lengths to make the desired width.
After what you said about making a straight and clean cut, I like your huge pipe cutters (Bullish).

The absolutely slowest trip I made to the local ski area one winter was in a '61 VW microbus.  haha
That 200 is better than the Microbus, and I agree on the 4:10 gearset for moving the garden shed.

Nice work !  :)
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2023 at 8:58pm

The weekend wrapped up with the van’s new axle fitted and the spring pads & shock mounts welded on. I even got into the stinky oil and changed out the clutch packs in the LSD (wearing gloves!). Tomorrow I’ll pick up axle and pinion seals plus new brake shoes. Shouldn’t be long now for the final install.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2023 at 10:37am
Originally posted by dasvis dasvis wrote:

I love it when a plan comes together. 
Yes, I think this one qualifies for a check in the “W” column. 
48 CJ2A
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2023 at 11:16pm
I love it when a plan comes together. 
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2023 at 10:35pm

While I was starting to remove the van’s original axle, I tried fitting the Ranger sway bar just for fun. I think this is dangerously close to being a bolt-in. The end links were swapped end-for-end so the bushing was at the top and will attach to the van’s shock mount. The shocks connect to the structure on the outside of the frame rail, so to make the sway bar connection I’ll just get a longer shock bolt and mount the end link to the inside of the frame.

It was nice of FoMoCo to think this far ahead back in 1964!
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2023 at 10:08pm

Found a machinist who made me an insert for the axle housing.  Turned the welder up to 11 and burned it in- now I’ve got a one-piece housing once again.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2023 at 8:28pm
I checked the break-away torque of the differential and it was minimal. So I ordered a FoMoCo Traction Lok rebuild kit with new frictions and steel plates. Also got a Spicer u-joint flange yoke, good quality parts.

To widen the housing, I need to make a cut of the tubing on the short side. To do this, I rented a pipe cutter. People who make videos of this operation generally use a grindy or sparky tool to cut the tube. The pipe cutter made a square cut of the tube without generating cutting chips or a gritty mess inside the housing difficult to remove. Plus, I couldn’t make a straight cut with those tools if I had to.

$15 and 10 minutes later:

When narrowing a housing, you make two cuts and one weld. To widen, it’ll be one cut and two welds. I’ll have a short section of tubing cut on a lathe to match the housing so it will be square on both ends, and weld it together.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2023 at 4:25pm

Today I drug home a new rear axle for my van; it’s from a 2001 Ford Ranger that was equipped with an 8.8”, 4.10 ratio and a Traction Lok differential- it also had a rear sway bar. I dummied up the rear axle by sliding in another long shaft from a neighboring truck and it measured right where I needed it to be- just double checking my math before all the wrenching!

I wanted the Traction Lok not because the van is going drag racing or the engine is supplying more power than one tire can manage; the van is front heavy and backing it up slopes, it will just spin a tire. I have to back up an incline out of one of my shop bays into the grass. The jeeps don’t have a problem with this, but the van does. Plus I’d like to use it for camping and traveling, so a little more capability away from paved surfaces would be nice.
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2023 at 9:47pm

I took the van for a lengthy spin today to try and determine what gear ratio would be better for the van. I downloaded a speedometer app on my phone because the van’s speedo is about 8-10 mph on the optimistic side. At 60 mph, it was about 2300 rpm. Right now I’m leaning towards a Ranger axle with a 4.10 ratio as I don’t honestly think the van would pull the taller 3.73 ratio without unlocking some hidden horsepower. The ol’ van was kind of fun to drive after I got accustomed to it, and so much better than before the overdrive- it’s night and day. 

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2023 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by Steelyard Blues Steelyard Blues wrote:

I’m surprised to see such a low ratio as stock. In OD, how is she going up a hill at 60 mph? Is it a big drop coming out of OD going up the hill?

Micah
Yes, I'm surprised as well. The 4.0:1 axle is stock and matches the tag on the door. This van was special ordered and has a DSO number, but I'm baffled by the choices. I'm not sure what the camper package weighed with all the stuff installed, maybe that explains the low gears. An all metal camper top, but no sway bar? And no passenger vent? Hmmm.

Been battling a week of rain, but the weekend looks dry- I'll take it for a drive and further evaluate how it goes down the road. My previous trip was only about 4 miles.

Edited by otto - 27 Sep. 2023 at 7:06pm
48 CJ2A
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2023 at 11:53pm
I dug out my Chilton manual for the Maverick. It shows the HP for a 200 in 1970 as 120, 91 in 1972 and down to 74 in 1975. I think the change over came in '72. No info on torque. 1975 is probably when the emissions took its toll.

If you go with the rear sway bar on your unibody construction, add some support into the frame. Addco made one for the Maverick. Guys were ripping the mounting bolts out of the frame. When I did mine, I added 1/8 plate on three sides at the mounting location and have had no problems.

Micah

Edited by Steelyard Blues - 24 Sep. 2023 at 12:04am
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2023 at 11:38pm
I wonder if that test was before they changed the standard to include accessories on the motor. Post numbers dropped significantly.

If I understand, you are already running a 4.10 gear. I’m surprised to see such a low ratio as stock. I was more concerned with you winding out the motor between gears while driving in town. How is she now? In OD, how is she going up a hill at 60 mph? Is it a big drop coming out of OD going up the hill?

Put a Weber and some headers on her. 

Micah

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2023 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by Steelyard Blues Steelyard Blues wrote:

I would lean towards the 3.73

The Maverick originally had a 170 and a three on the tree. I think the rear was a 2.79. Real dog for power. 

This is what I’m afraid of. The 200 in my van is stock and makes some decent low end power for its size, but it’s not setting the world on fire. Working the gear ratios through the calculator, w/OD, the 4.10 turns into a 2.95 and the 3.73 a 2.68- very close to the 2.79 you mention. 

The torque curve you spoke of got me thinking and I found a graphed curve for the engine.

The van currently still has the stock 4:1 axle, very close to the 4.10. I need to take the van for a drive, enough to get a feel for how highway speeds feel. The two ratios are only a couple of hundred RPM apart and according to the chart, are right in the peak of the torque curve.

n

Edited by otto - 23 Sep. 2023 at 10:42pm
48 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2023 at 9:02pm
I would lean towards the 3.73

My '63 Jag came with an automatic and 3.54 in the rear. I converted it to a T5. The rear ratio was perfect for around town and great on the highway when I shifted into 5th gear.

I liked the combination so much that when I put the EFI 347 in the '71 Maverick, I went with the AOD and the 3.54 again. 

The Maverick originally had a 170 and a three on the tree. I think the rear was a 2.79. Real dog for power. It later got a 250. Grandma & Grandpa's, now mom's, '80 Fairmont has a 200. Not a big powerhouse either. So, I'm familiar with what you have.

I think you might be over gearing a motor that does not have a lot to begin with. You might find yourself outside of the low end torque band these motors make. Since you cannot get the 3.54, I would go for the next closest, 3.73

Micah

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>