Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Travelwagon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2019 at 1:32pm
That bracket is indeed for a propane tank. My uncle had an econoline van very similar to yours it had that bracket under it with a propane tank in it. His top was squarish &, I believe, the top was made from fiberglass, unlike my Westphalia, which had a canvas one.

Keep the self-extending step, my aunt loved hers. It was much better than the milk crate I used with the "Westy". 

Keep up the good work, I love what you are doing with it.
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2019 at 3:21pm
I took advantage of what is likely our last 70 degree day to paint the first color of the van's two-tone paint scheme.

Since my shop doesn't have a source of heat, the painting of the roof and the sides will have to wait until next summer to complete. In the meantime, there are some mechanical things to fix over the cooler part of the year. I attended an auction last weekend and scored a rebuilt 200 ci engine for a bargain! This will replace the clapped-out 170 that's in it right now.

Also my dad gifted me a BW T85N 3 speed overdrive transmission! This is the solenoid type gearbox where it will shift up and down depending on vehicle speed and will "kick down" like an automatic transmission if needed. Because the van has a 4.11 rear axle and 23" tires, its road speed is limited (kinda like an old jeep) and the 0.72 OD will give it some legs on highway.

Some parts are more shiny now.

47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2019 at 11:19pm
NICE   Thumbs Up
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2019 at 3:00pm
I dug into the "rebuilt" engine that I got from the auction and discovered it wasn't entirely rebuilt. Someone forgot to address the crankshaft! The machine shop also said that the connecting rods weren't re-sized properly either so both of those items got taken care of.

Everything else looks really good in the engine, and even with some additional expense it's still a bargain.

48 CJ2A
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2019 at 4:17pm
After mostly looking at 4 cyl and v8's all these years, that thing looks looong. Like the engine would reach to the middle seat long. 
This is a cool project.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2019 at 6:31pm

Thought the same thing.  Do you remember the straight 8 of the 50's?  I had a 51 Pontiac convertible with a straight 8. That is a long motor.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2019 at 9:51pm
Rob, This is going to be so cool when finished!

otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2020 at 2:50pm
New engine for the van- I'll install it when I have time. Until then, I bolted on some parts from a project long ago just for fun. I have a lifetime of ideas I want to try out on this.

48 CJ2A
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2020 at 4:14am
That's Sweet
MIKE IN OREGON

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2020 at 11:28am
Originally posted by WeeWilly WeeWilly wrote:

Thought the same thing.  Do you remember the straight 8 of the 50's?  I had a 51 Pontiac convertible with a straight 8. That is a long motor.

Jim

Small world. I had a 52 Pontiac Cheiftain "businessman's coupe" with a straight eight and a four speed automatic transmission. That was one long engine & a huge trunk.
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2020 at 12:31am
That's going to be super cool. I would add a small propane fridge and small propane furnace. Even a propane lamp would heat it though. We had an Airstream Safari and before we added a furnace, we used the lamp to heat it when we didn't have electrical hook ups. AC would be nice too. I'm excited for you. I think the turbo is a great idea. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2020 at 2:29am
This is how we install engines in vehicles without a hood.

48 CJ2A
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2020 at 4:40am
Nice.
MIKE IN OREGON

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2020 at 5:13pm
Today’s Fun Fact: the 8.5” clutch disc used in this van is the same disc used in a Willy’s Jeep!

Edit: I was also able to use the home-made clutch line up tool that I used for the jeep, win!

Edited by otto - 21 Aug. 2020 at 8:10pm
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 6:15am
The  van's new engine got installed and is running sweet!

I discovered some rust under the camper top that couldn't be ignored or easily fixed- so the top had to come off. 68 Huck bolts later...

It would have been nice to notice this earlier, it was only evident when the top was in the up position.

48 CJ2A
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 10:26pm
At least you saw it now and not after you were driving it again.  Thumbs Up
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 11:49pm
Painted the van's roof today, caught a stink bug strolling through the fresh finish. Cry

48 CJ2A
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 1:53am
Well that stinks.....dang bug.   Looking and good thing you found the roof rust.  It's going to be a great van.
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>