Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Travelwagon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2020 at 5:14am
Not much to update the van thread with. I cleaned up the aluminum camper windows and installed them. They got new crank mechanisms, screens, and some dark tint. A SOS pad made the frames look like new.

Vintage Trailer Supply makes a spot-on replacement for the HEHR windows.

dfs
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2020 at 1:01pm
That Van is looking Bitchin
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2020 at 9:26pm
Thanks, Mike. It was fun getting the van to this point, but there's more to do!
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2020 at 2:16am

In the name of safety I fashioned a third brake light for the van. I didn’t want someone to plow into my newly restored vehicle because of the feeble stock brake/tail lights and most drivers are now accustomed to seeing the center light in traffic. The light was taken from a 90s Ranger pickup and I initially thought about spicing the truck’s cab sheet metal into the van’s roof but couldn’t go through with cutting into the van’s skin. 

I also didn’t want to carve into the camper top rear cap either if I screwed that up or changed my mind. So I got some sheet metal and fabbed up a “pod” that matched the Ranger’s roofline and mimicked the campers’ lines. It just attaches to the rear cap with some rivets.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2021 at 1:03am
Finally saved up my pennies for the window gaskets. Put some dark tint on the glass and got 'em installed. It's getting closer.

48 CJ2A
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2021 at 1:30am
An old friend and roomate had a similar van with the big 6 in it. It would run well. I grew up with my fathers 1962 Suburban. When every page was turned, It had a Corvette 327 in it. I turned it back to stock. It would run neck and neck with a 454.
Somebody ended up with a sweet motor. Somebody else ended up with a 327 set up to race out of a 3A.
Too much motor in a Jeep.
john
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2021 at 11:58pm

Small update on the van: I’m trying to get it road worthy and just got the turn signals working. Turns out it was just a simple blown fuse. Once the blinkers worked, I discovered that my third brake light was also blinking when the right turn signal was on. I just tied into the harness at the back of the van and had forgotten that the blinker signal goes through the brake wires. I fixed this by running a wire from the brake light switch clear back to the rear to power the third brake light. Yay!

I’m pondering getting some LEDs to replace some of the lights in the van- like the camper cabin lights, dash lights, and some others.

48 CJ2A
Doug Timme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Timme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2021 at 12:39pm
Wow, how did I miss a van thread? I love it. The wheels look great.

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2021 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Doug Timme Doug Timme wrote:

Wow, how did I miss a van thread?

In the interest of full disclosure here...I'll admit I was looking at A100 pickups online the other night.LOLWink

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2021 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Originally posted by Doug Timme Doug Timme wrote:

Wow, how did I miss a van thread?

In the interest of full disclosure here...I'll admit I was looking at A100 pickups online the other night.LOLWink

I like the A-100s also, they have great body lines.

I actually took my van for a drive yesterday- Yikes! Just went up the road a little and turned around; I don’t know if the shock absorbers are original equipment, but they need to be replaced! 

Once I get that handled I’ll try it again. At least it didn’t overheat.

It’s an odd thing to drive...

48 CJ2A
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2021 at 8:37pm
If the van is a-rockin don't come a-knockin..Cool
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2021 at 10:20pm
I remember the two coolest things (I thought at the time) on my Dad's A100 was the dash mounted automatic shifter and the padded crash bar on the passenger side of the dash was shaped like and airfoil, a miniature rear spoiler shaped piece.

They do feel odd to drive because you're almost on the front bumper.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Doug Timme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Timme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 3:59pm
Chad, you would look good in an A-100Cool
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 7:12pm
Don't know about that but it would be something interesting to do with the Hemi. Big smile

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by muley muley wrote:

If the van is a-rockin don't come a-knockin..Cool

LOL Good one!

It wasn't rockin' in a good way!
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2021 at 12:32am

The new shocks arrived and got installed on the van. This evening I took another spin in the van and hooned it around the neighborhood. What a difference! So much better and it no longer felt like it was going to drive off the road.

The old shocks were all the same style and when I wire brushed the rust and crud off of them, I uncovered the Ford oval. I’m convinced they were the original equipment from 1964. I guess 57 years is a pretty good service life.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2021 at 10:19pm

On Sunday I took the van to a Econoline centric show here in Portland. It was only 9 miles away but would be the farthest trip yet driving it, and in unprecedented heat. With its 4:1 rear axle and short tires, the van gives a vintage jeep experience by reaching top gear quickly and by 50 mph- the engine buzzing. 

Econo Northwest was a fun little show with lots of friendly folks and interesting vehicles; one was even 4WD with jeep running gear! Three other Travelwagons were there and I was told that was the most ever to show up. I bought some parts and chatted with a lot of people and wished I could have stayed longer but it was hot! 

I left at 11:30 and it was 95℉ already. ALL the way home I had one eye on the temp gauge and was sweating the drive and not just because of the heat. The van’s engine showed only a little past center on the temp gauge the whole way home, which was a huge relief; the thermometer on our patio showed 100℉. It reached 112℉ later that day! 

48 CJ2A
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2021 at 12:27am
Nice looking rig! Congratulations on both your Travelwagon, the show, & the trip.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>