Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Travelwagon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2021 at 7:15pm

I spent a little weekend time tying up some loose ends on the van. Got the dome light purchased at the van show refurbished, installed and working. The white lens is eggshell fragile, but these are shared by other old Fords and is an inexpensive repo part. Also put the LED bulbs in the cabin fixtures and wired them up too. These have been on my list for a long time. 

I also got a small tach to install in the van; not that I needed one but it will come in handy and accompany the next planned upgrade- the transmission. The jeep project needs to get to a certain point and then the van can take the prime spot in the shop over the winter.

Edited by otto - 14 Nov. 2021 at 7:40pm
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2021 at 8:57pm
Looking Good Rob.Thumbs Up
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2021 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by mike in oregon mike in oregon wrote:

Looking Good Rob.Thumbs Up

Thanks Mike, stay tuned there's more to come.
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2021 at 9:22pm

Over the holiday weekend I did some shuffling of vehicles and brought the van into the shop. What I’ve got in mind is a transmission swap- removing the 3 speed for an overdrive 3 speed. I mentioned this gearbox earlier and after taking some measurements and some eye-ballin’, it looks like it will work nicely. Here’s what I’m working with:

It’s a BW T85N with the R11 overdrive on the back of it. This is most likely out of a Ford truck from the 60s or early 70s. The R11 is the heavier duty OD of what was used in ye olden days as it was available for big-block cars and trucks. There was a R10 OD used in older cars (the R11 has four planetary gears @ 28% vs the R10s three @ 30%). 

This side shows the governor switch which will energize the solenoid at around 27 MPH and encourage a shift into OD; if the vehicle slows to under 27 MPH it will pull the transmission back into direct drive. Pushing in the clutch is not necessary for this shift to occur, just lift the gas pedal to take the load off the drivetrain. The round rubber object is a boot for the governor that 5th Avenue Garage repopped; they said I bought the last one in the country!

On the driver’s side is the solenoid that performs the shifting. I have all the relays and wiring that would have been installed in a vehicle to make the transmission work properly, even the cable that would be on the dash to “lock out” the OD and keep the transmission in direct drive. I’ll try to retain all the features that give a driver this transmission’s benefits. There is also a “kick down” switch feature that will make the transmission downshift into direct drive on command if the driver floors the gas pedal.

The T85 won’t simply bolt to the bellhousing in my van even though they both share the Ford “narrow pattern”. The input shaft is a little long and there is some disparity in bearing retainer size. I’ve been talking with Modern Driveline about some of their adapters being used as a spacer and just bolting through it. I need to take some careful measurements once the transmission is removed, but I think this strategy just might work.

Edited by otto - 28 Nov. 2021 at 9:41pm
48 CJ2A
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2021 at 12:23pm
I love this build! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2021 at 9:01pm
That will be sweet Rob.
MIKE IN OREGON

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2021 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

I love this build! 

Glad you're enjoying the journey and following along.

Thanks Mike, it will really make the vehicle once it's working (fingers crossed).

I had to drive the van some distance to a DMV back in September and had to plan my route to avoid freeway travel. I plugged the rear axle ratio and tire size into a tire size/RPM calculator and it came up with an RPM close to a non-OD jeep! So this transmission will be a godsend to the van if it all works right. 

After a discussion with the folks at Modern Driveline, I ordered an adapter and a clutch disc (because the input shaft is different). Seems Ford drivetrains share the same big hole opening in the bellhousing, but little else. I can only imagine the conversation with the driveshaft shop- “You want me to match that to that?!”

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2021 at 5:51pm

Here are the two gearboxes side-by-side. The early vans (all brands) are of unibody construction and suspend the transmissions by a mount on the top of the transmission. So there is a bit of a challenge installing the T85N as it has a traditional trans mount under the transmission and the van has no conventional frame. I think it can be done by reinforcing the unibody structure and spreading out the heavier load over a much larger area. It looks like the mount will align with one of the unibody crossmembers so once it’s in place we’ll see how things look.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2021 at 7:16pm

The adapter showed up yesterday! This is from Modern Driveline and it’s their part for adapting a T5 to a 65 and earlier Mustang with a 5 bolt bellhousing. This will just get bolted through the “narrow” Ford bolt pattern. The T85N  bearing retainer is about 0.060” smaller than the relief in the adapter, so I’ll have to come up with something there. MD also sold me a new clutch disc to match the T85N’s 10 spline 1 1/16” input shaft. The Econoline’s clutch disc can be a spare for the jeep as they will interchange. 

The throw out bearing collar needs to be changed out too as the one in the van is too small for the new transmission. It’s always something...

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2021 at 9:02pm

A little progress was made on this: the pilot bushing was slightly different so I had to change that out using the grease and wooden dowel trick. It always puts a smile on my face how this works so well. Then I changed out the clutch disc and got the pressure plate back on. The clutch release bearing showed up today and that fits great; it probably needed to be changed anyway.

Still waiting on some 7/16” x 1.75” bolts that I couldn’t source locally.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2021 at 6:39pm

Since this is the other projects section, I’ll add another project I’ve been tinkering with. A while ago my dad asked me if I wanted a bandsaw that he hasn’t used in quite a while. Not one to turn down free power tools, I said “sure”. Over the summer I was at their place and picked up the bandsaw. It’s a Sears Craftsman wood cutting 12” bandsaw from the early 1980s. 

Once home, I checked the internets as I know little about bandsaws and had never used one. It turns out that Sears had sold a million of ‘em, and this was a fairly common saw. Lots of youtube videos on how to set them up and adjust everything which I found super helpful. There were also videos on people converting these (and other bandsaws) to cut metal, which I found very interesting. To cut metal with a wood cutting bandsaw, the blade speed must be slowed down considerably from wood cutting speed so the blade doesn’t burn up. I saw a lot of ingenious methods for doing this in videos and was considering what to do. I was perusing Craig’s List one day and spotted an electric motor with a 20:1 gear reduction box on it and picked it up for $50.

Photo orientation got me again, just turn your head, sigh.

This motor and gearbox got woven into the bandsaw’s stand in such a way that the same belt can be quickly changed between the two pulleys without any tools. The blade must be changed also obviously, but the change-over goes very quickly. Thinking about some casters for the legs so the saw can be easily moved and not occupy dedicated real estate. I think this will be a very useful addition to the shop! 

48 CJ2A
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2021 at 9:06pm
KNOWW

Edited by mike in oregon - 29 Dec. 2021 at 9:07pm
MIKE IN OREGON

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2021 at 9:07pm
NOW YOU CAN USE IT LOL
MIKE IN OREGON

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2021 at 11:15am
Originally posted by mike in oregon mike in oregon wrote:

NOW YOU CAN USE IT LOL

Thanks for fixing it Mike, it should work better now!

You'll have to show me how to do that.
48 CJ2A
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2021 at 10:16am
I just right click on it and saved it to my desktop. then on the desk top I flipped it and then uploaded it to the page and reposted it.
MIKE IN OREGON

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2021 at 1:11pm
Its still showing up sideways to me. Geek

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2022 at 7:01pm
Here is another non-jeep project that I picked up last time I was at my parents place. It’s an old crosscut bucksaw that one of my ancestors owned and used in ye olden days. It’s 48” overall and a bit rusty. It needs sharpening but went easily through a 2x4 as found.

When I got home I ran to the internets and found a wealth of knowledge on how to sharpen it. There’s a whole science to it which I found fascinating. The raker teeth were higher than most of the cutters, so when I jointed them a lot of the rakers disappeared- I started reforming them starting with this one here. It will give me something to pick away at in my spare time.

Along with the shovel and axe strapped to the jeep, this saw should help clear some trail.
48 CJ2A
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2022 at 9:45pm
Rob I have one similar to that hanging in the front room.  It has the teeth more like a modern saw where they are all the same.
MIKE IN OREGON

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>