Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

oil viscosity

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: oil viscosity
    Posted: 06 Jan. 2019 at 2:15pm
Hello All, My 48 2a needs oil change. Am I correct in assuming that this jeep was built prior to multi viscosity oils; oil for winter was dilluted with kerosene; and now it is advisable to use a multi grade oil? I aslo own to antique farmall tractors, so the same question would apply.

Thank you
Grumpy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2019 at 3:10pm
ConocoPhillips has a 10-30 diesel oil it still meets all the standards for the older engines. I use it in all my old junk it has the additives needed for the flat tappit lifters. My f134 boat anchor starts well using it. It seems to flow a little better than the 15-40 in colder temps. JMHO
mario View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2019 at 3:56pm
Thanks I'll see if I can find it. Wyoming is a bit more consistent in cold than ohio. Thank you.
srlbotanical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2019 at 2:45pm
Rotella T4 (15w30) and a bottle of Lucas TB Zinc Plus is a good option and easily available almost anywhere. 

Drain your oil, put the lucas in first and then fill with the Rotella T4.
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
mario View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2019 at 1:23am
Thanks Steve, Couldnt readily find 15/30 so I picked up 15/40. Your Thoughts? Havent done the change yet so I can order 15/30 from Summit Racing if necessary.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2019 at 2:23am
I just changed mine tonight!

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2019 at 2:50am
Originally posted by mario mario wrote:

Thanks Steve, Couldnt readily find 15/30 so I picked up 15/40. Your Thoughts? Havent done the change yet so I can order 15/30 from Summit Racing if necessary.

For non-synthetic oil, generally the lower number is the viscosity of the oil they used and the higher number is a function of the additives.  So both 15W/30 and 15W/40 use the same base oil that has the viscosity of 15 weight oil in the "Winter" test.  But the 15W/40 has more viscosity-modifier additives that allow it to have 40 weight viscosity in the high temp test.

So what does that mean?  Not an awful lot except that base oiltends to hold up longer than additives.  So if you are trying to stretch out your oil changes that 15W/40 is getting closer and closer to straight 15 weight.  But then again, so is the 15W/30.  So the only significant take-home is that something like 10W/30 will hold its high temp performance longer than 5W/30.

And again, this is for non-synthetic.  None of this typically applies to synthetic that usually gets the better high temp viscosity from a designed base oil.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2019 at 5:22am
I like running the Rotella 15/40. The one issue was when I pulled the Jeep out of the garage and put it on the trailer to be ready for a snow wheeling trip. The temps overnight dropped into the low teens and after driving north to even colder weather my 6 volt starter did not have enough guts to turn the engine through the cold thick oil fast enough to fire. My Jeep is a pretty faithful starter most of the time. Not sure this issue is enough for me to change my oil choice since a quick tug gets me going, but it’s something to think about.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2019 at 6:03am
AS Chug is still in the assembly process. I really don't need oil yet. But when I order stuff from Summit Racing (which I get a lot of my hot roddy customising stuff from) they offer free shipping on orders over $99 so if I need a few fittings instead of paying shipping I just add a 5 qt jug of Lucas 10-30 Hot Rod and Classic Oil Has the 2100ppm of zinc and its formulated for our kind of engines. I got 4 oil changes banked already. Plus the first go round which will be Lucas Break in oil 3600ppm.

The local NAPA carries it as well but at a slightly higher cost. We have a lot of old school hot rods and muscle cars in town. 
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2019 at 8:31pm
   Ha Mark w !

When I read your mention of Lucas break-in-oil 3600ppm. :
My mind registered the "break-in" rpm for my new engine to be 3600rpm's !
   hahahaha _ _ _ or higher depending on width of the smile on my face.

My thoughts on the oil to use was to use what you have, and if regular oil, not synthetic, that would probably be what our grandfathers would do, is use whatever they had available. Straight 30w could be thinned with Marvel Mystery oil or ATF.   And when we pay $6/qt for oil, the $6/qt of Marvel is equal in price and good insurance.
   ( here is something to think about ):
   Ask the guys in Alaska how many pieces of equipment are running ATF for oil instead of 140w gear-lube in the heavy equipment and semi tractors.   many !

And there are many gearboxes today which use ATF instead of heavy gear lube like the Willys boxes used. My guess is we could very successfully run ATF in our T-90 trans, but may need to add 1/2=cup STP to quieten the box. :)

In my '95 Honda Passport engine which is a 3.2L aluminum hemi, which requires basically 5-quarts of oil,   my blend is 2-Qts Marvel Mystery oil, and 3-Qts of Chevron Dello 400 in 15w-40, and oil pressure is at 25 at idle and 55 at 5,000 rpm. ( the engine is governed at 6,800 with the fuel injectors by slightly "choking" the engine with more fuel )   kinda Cool.
   I have some main bearings which came out of a Willys which are worn thru the steel backing.   How many hunting trips did this engine make over 6-decades with loose clearances and beer flowing ? (eyebrows raised)

Ok, here is some real-time numbers when we are talking 6,800 rpm. for fun.
IN my '89 Honda Civic, with 1.5 mpi engine and 5-spd, at 7,000 rpm in 3-rd gear you will be very close to 100-mph with 3-men inside. watch for the Fuzz !

One of my Oil-Tests completed recently was to run Marvel in the diesel fuel on my 6.5L GM turbo-diesel.   this was a 15-year / 295k mile Test to see if by running the Marvel as an additive if it would preserve my Injection Pump and Fuel Injectors:   The end result was - in all those miles and years, I never changed out a injector, glow-plug, or injection pump, and never had to remove a valve cover off that engine.   All accessories got replace at least twice and the electronic PMD ( pump-module-driver) is the achilles heel, so I always carried a spare PmD and an Oil-Pressure-Sensor.

Anyone remember "Flag" oil that used to be the cheap O'Rielly's brand ?

( it's lousy weather outside so I am here rambling )
srlbotanical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2019 at 8:58pm

Yes, that was a mistake on my part. The T4 is typically 15/40.... Big smile

I think you did good.
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
mario View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2019 at 4:56pm
Thanks all, Changed oil using Rotella t4 15-30 with lucas tb with zinc. Had to do a couple of trys with the oil filter to get it from leaking. You guys ever have that issue and what are the thoughts on that?

mario
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2019 at 5:02pm

Thanks all, Changed oil using Rotella t4 15-30 with lucas tb with zinc. Had to do a couple of trys with the oil filter to get it from leaking. You guys ever have that issue and what are the thoughts on that?

mario

Where was it leaking?  The NAPA 1010 filter comes with a new gasket for the edge of the lid. It works well.  I have a fiber washer under the center bolt.  No leaks on mine.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
outlw21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlw21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2019 at 4:55pm
I had issues with the oil filter gasket leaking- problem was the oil pressure was 65 psi. Had to cut 2 coils from the relief valve spring to get it to the 45 psi max.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2019 at 12:46am
Originally posted by outlw21 outlw21 wrote:

I had issues with the oil filter gasket leaking- problem was the oil pressure was 65 psi. Had to cut 2 coils from the relief valve spring to get it to the 45 psi max.

Interesting. Cutting coils from a coil spring makes it shorter, but stronger.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2019 at 1:05am
Years ago I put a 198 ci V6 in my MB. On a cold winter morning I would either blow the gasket out or blow up the entire filter. I was working at Mile Hi Jeep Rebuilders then. Don (The Old Cat) told me to put a groove along the side of the relief plunger. It worked and I never lost another filter.
uncamonkey
jaksjep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaksjep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2019 at 7:05am
Originally posted by outlw21 outlw21 wrote:

My '46 has an F-head and runs 45psi at idle and about 70psi running 45 mph down the road.  I use Rotella 15W40.  I always thought that was a little high but the mechanic who rebuilt it in 1995 told me he built it that way.  He and his Dad used to build L head engines for racing that would turn 8000 rpm all day without blinking an eye.
My posts are my personal opinion and are not legal advice as I am not an attorney. If you act on any of my comments you do so at your own risk.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2019 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by jaksjep jaksjep wrote:

He and his Dad used to build L head engines for racing that would turn 8000 rpm all day without blinking an eye.

Go-Devils??  Shocked
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply