Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CFFC Fall Color Tours 2019! - Event Date: 15 Sep. 2019 - 20 Sep. 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 28>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2019 at 11:49pm
Time for our weekly report on registrations.  This week we picked up 19 new registrations.  Added to the 12 from last week and we have a total of 31.  So that means that if no one else registers, then everyone gets to come.  

Let me do a last name list from last week.  Carlson, Waddle, Meyers, Brozek, Rice/Musick, Johnson, Ralls, Hinton, Koller, Fitch, Hawkridge, Coldwell.  

This week's last name list is, in no particular order:  Sanders, Herrera, Schiefer, Johnson/Moore, Rudy, Franks, Reichart, Dennis/Herrmann, Kelley, Vogelzang, Johnson, Heitman, Chillemi, Rodgers/Souders, Rodgers, Jones/Barker, Kjome, DeYoung/Speck, Buckley/Gilliland. 

I hope the last name lists will let you know that I've received your registration form.  You're all set for the FCT lottery in May.  I really appreciate that everyone has filled them in well, and printed as neatly as possible.  That sure helps my poor eyes when I'm reading them.  And on a personal note, Rick Thank You for your note dated the 16th, and the tools you sent.  I'll make sure they're put to good use. 

As always, if you have any questions about your registration you're welcome to send me a private message, or an email by clicking on my forum name on the left.  If you're question is of a general nature, and the whole group might benefit from hearing the answer, feel free to ask it hear in this thread.  Others have done that and everyone benefits.  

If you know of someone who would like to join us, but does not have a computer, or does not subscribe to this thread, please let me know and I'll send him/her a form with a cover letter explaining what we're doing this year.  

Thanks to everyone for your cooperation.  This will help us continue this event long into the future.

Edited by m38mike - 21 Jan. 2019 at 5:48am
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2019 at 2:29am
Shocked!  I'd better get busy and get my form printed, filled out, and sent in!  LOLWinkBig smile  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2019 at 6:02am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Shocked!  I'd better get busy and get my form printed, filled out, and sent in!  LOLWinkBig smile  BW

That's right!  You don't want to set a bad example and procrastinate until late April getting your form turned in.  what would happen if you missed the deadline???  Shocked  Ouch  OMG!  What would I do?? CryLOL
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2019 at 7:09am
If I can take you up on any suggestions, would there be any value in requesting everyone get fuel the night before. At Sugar Shack if returning from the South and BV if returning from the North. Might result in more trail time.

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2019 at 10:14am
Fltfndr, you make a very good suggestion.  I've been on other Jeep rides before where we were expected to be fueled up and ready to go at the appointed hour.  It's a doable thing.  And it would certainly get us out on the trail sooner in the morning.  I will talk it over with my guides and see if we will include this change in our year of great changes.  Thank you for voicing your thoughts on this. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2019 at 9:16pm
If you liked that one try this. Why not convince Sugar Shack to send a tank wagon to the ranch every day about 5:00 P.M. with credit card accessability

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2019 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by Fltfndr Fltfndr wrote:

If you liked that one try this. Why not convince Sugar Shack to send a tank wagon to the ranch every day about 5:00 P.M. with credit card accessability

Fltfndr

Ok, now your batting .500.  You were batting 1.000.  Sugar Shack is an independent gas station.  They have no tankers of any kind.  So they can't transport fuel.  And I don't want to establish a refuel site at the TDR.  I help to do it for fire camps, I don't want it in my back yard.  Did you ever watch the "Gong Show" back in the day?  Contestants would try to impress the judges with music or some talented skill.  If the judges didn't like it, they would hit the gong and that contestant was sent away.  Well, this idea deserves a big "GONG!!" 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2019 at 10:45pm
This may seem simple, take more fuel with you. My 3B can carry 30 gals of fuel. I have never run out and have had to help several on the trail. You will still need to gas up every few days.
uncamonkey
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2019 at 12:50am
Hey mike,

I appreciate the fact that no hook was used, that would hurt! The big leaguers don't hit anywhere near .500

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2019 at 1:22am
How about having the muzzleloading day in the morning? Could do a short trail in the afternoon. Would give people who don't shoot or who would like to spend the morning exploring Buena Vista or Salida. 

I brought a flintlock I never got to shoot (which is ok, it needed the exercise) . The one day my son didn't go with me for the "trail of the day" he found an interesting city museum with a great rock exhibit and some interesting locals. 

I'm fine with the gas yourself recommendation, most of us have spare gas if someone needs more.

One last thought, might be possible to have someone agree to be a "left behind" helper. If someone has a flat tire or some other breakdown, they could stay with them to help patch a tire, replace a tube or just pick up a passenger to return them with or without their jeep. Would allow the larger group to continue while not leaving some poor smuck (like me maybe) be left alone. If I were the stay behind volunteer, I would need a local map. Following Cowbell coming off Tincup, I was damned if I would loose him because I had no idea where I was.

Steve
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2019 at 1:29am
Has gassing up in the mornings actually been a problem?  What if people just left after the driver's meeting in the morning to get gas whenever they are ready to go and then we just all meet at the station?  Do we really need to all arrive at the gas station in a group at one time?
Tom
1949 CJ3A

3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2019 at 1:49am
That would add an additional delay. The station is not always on the way to the day's trail. Also, most of us want non-ethanol gas which the station offers. And if it is the departure point we will have the same tangle tanking up with non-ethanal and that takes time. Why meet at the station? Just get the gas of your choice before the driver's meeting.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2019 at 3:05am
The Sugar Shack people would wonder what's going on if they weren't inundated with Jeeps gassing up every morning that week.  They sell a lot of other stuff those mornings besides gas, don't they?
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2019 at 4:53pm
Unkamonkey, since you don't tour with us your extra gas doesn't help us. Sorry about that.

Yup fltfnder, you got a good average, and you're still in the game.

3A Steve, I'm thinking that our primary reason for gathering together is the Jeep tours, not the rifle range.  We weren't able to do the range last year because we had to do some recovery operations.  What if we couldn't do the Jeep tour because of some problem with the rifle range?  A lot more folks would be disappointed.  We can try the rifle range again, but it needs to follow a Jeep tour, not be in front of it. 

I don't like the "left behind helper" unless it's the right rig/person.  And the few guys who I would consider for this don't ride with the tours, or they are your guides.  Even if someone knows the trails, what happens if the breakdown is more serious than the "helper" can fix in the field.  One of the Tenets of the Fall Color Tour is that "No Jeep gets left behind".  We ALWAYS get a Jeep to a place where it can be recovered with a truck and trailer.  Sometimes we even tow the Jeep all the way back to the shop.  That sometimes takes a team effort, so keeping the group together gives us the team.  And knowing that we can get anyone out of the woods together gives many of us peace of mind that we won't be abandoned or forgotten.  And since MOST Jeeps don't carry any self recovery tools like jumper cables or recovery straps, and only some carry spare tires, jacks and lug wrenches, I rely on the groups collection of tools to be able to provide the right tool to fix the problem. 

Aboyandhisdog, Getting gas in the morning simply takes a lot of time.  It does give me the reassurance that everyone has enough gas to drive for the day.  But it often takes a half hour to get through the gas pumps, and the bathroom line, and the coffee line.  In the old days of the early FCT, there were a few folks who thought they could get through the day without filling up.  We often had to stop during the day to refuel them.  I saw the morning refuel as a way to stop this from happening.  But with the increasing Jeep numbers, we are taking too much time going through the fuel pumps.  So I am thinking that it's time to give everyone their personal responsibility for refueling again.  I would love to have that half hour to spend getting out onto the trails instead of waiting in a parking lot.  And if we're headed south for our tour for the day, I would prefer not to have half the group waiting at the gas station for the rest of us to drive by and pick them up.  What do I do if someone is still waiting for a gas pump?  No, I will ask that everyone be refueled before the driver's meeting so we can all leave TDR as a group.  Now to encourage everyone to make sure they are gassed up, I will have a "No-Gas Award" for those who run out of fuel.  The details of that award you'll get to see at your next FCT.  Thanks Tom for asking those questions.

Ol' Unreliable, Yes they do sell lots of snacks and coffee to our crowd.  I'm not here to help them peddle products.  But I will promote their alcohol free gas.  It makes a difference in high places by not causing vapor lock. 

Edited by m38mike - 22 Jan. 2019 at 5:04pm
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2019 at 5:19pm
M38mike.Things just don't bother me. As I said, I have never run out of fuel. I carry 50 gals of diesel in my motor home and usually stop for fuel to just give my butt a rest. My fathers truck carried 64 gallons and a friends fathers motorhome has a 250 gallon tank. I suppose I have a bit of envy.
uncamonkey
mriceflinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2019 at 5:24pm
Mike,
 One quick question. Do you know the hours of operation for the sugar shack during the FCT?  Mike
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2019 at 5:51pm
I have stopped a number of times at the Sugar Shack prior to business hours.  The pumps have been on, even when the business isn't open.  I don't know if this is a conscious business decision by the owner, or they were accidentally left on, but it has worked out for me.Smile
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2019 at 7:35pm
Mike, I must say I did feel comforted that if anything had happened to my jeep you would make it come out right. It was greatly appreciated. 

While I had no problems at CFCT, within a week after I got back to WV my Kaiser "power" starter died followed by my overdrive linkage breaking leaving me stuck in overdrive. 

As to shooting, my main goal was to drive, not shoot. Only mentioned doing it first if you are going to do it. You are certainly right that driving comes first. 

Really appreciate all you and Nancy and others have done. Even if I don't get back it will remain a memorable highlight.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 28>