Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CFFC Fall Color Tours 2019! - Event Date: 15 Sep. 2019 - 20 Sep. 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 28>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2019 at 1:48pm
We did get one form in this week.  The name is Clark/Pewe.  We've only got one month left to receive registration forms.  On the first of May I'll run the lottery to see who comes and who stays home.  I did get a PM from one person who's circumstance has changed and they withdrew their registration.  I was sad to hear they could not come this year, but appreciated them letting me know so far in advance. 

We ran into a glitch at the muffler shop.  They couldn't get us in on Friday, but promised to take us next Tuesday.  So we wait on the new exhaust and muffler.  In the mean time, I'm swapping out the headlights on my '99 F250.  The original headlights were yellow and really cloudy.  That plastic just does not stay clear like glass does.  The new lights are LED and hopefully the housing plastic will stay clear for many years.  It'll be good to be able to light up the road again.  Those LED's are bright! 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2019 at 3:05pm
Mike, how do you plan to deal with spots that open up if people have to drop out after the lottery?  You know how life is...sometimes things come up and plans change - even up to "show time".  Just wondering if you have a contingency plan for filling those spots. 
Tom
1949 CJ3A

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2019 at 1:32pm
Yes Tom I do have a plan.  Thanks for asking.  Let me lay it out here.  On May 1 I'll have a tall stack of invitees on the primary list, and a short stack of offers to be on the alternate list.  Anyone who does not make the Primary list of the first 50 Jeeps will be offered the option of being on the alternate list.  Their choice, yes or no.  If they choose to be on the alternate list then if someone on the Primary list has to drop out, I will go to the Alternate list to fill that open primary slot.  One question I will ask of each alternate is what date is the latest date you want to be contacted for filling a primary slot.  Some folks may need 2 months lead time before they could come.  Some folks may only need 2 days lead time.  I will leave that up to each alternate to tell me what they are comfortable with.  The latest available date to come will not affect the alternate's place in the sequence of alternates, until those before him time out. 

I will use the random number sequence from the lottery to determine who is first alternate, and who is second alternate, etc..  I will let each alternate know where they are on the alternate list.  And if anyone in front of you in the alternate list says no, or drops out, then you move up on the list.  Right now I would have only 4 alternates if everyone said yes.  I'm probably making more work for myself than I need to, but I'm trying to keep everything in this process as fair as I can make it for everyone who wants to join us.  What happens if no one wants to be on the alternate list?  Well, if someone drops off the primary list, then we'll only have 49 Jeeps instead of 50.  

Currently everyone has a 92% chance of making the primary list.  Those are pretty good odds.  

Tom, I hope this answered your question.  It may be too much information, but that's my plan. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2019 at 2:35am
I'm glad I read this thread, dropping my application in the mail tomorrow.
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2019 at 12:50pm
unclemoak, I haven't received your registration form yet.  In fact this has been an empty week for registrations.  I'm taking off to go do some desert riding with a friend in New Mexico for a few days.  I'll check for your registration when I get back home.  

Just a reminder that there is only 3 weeks left for turning in registration forms.  So if you've been procrastinating, don't wait too much longer.  Forms that show up in May won't be included.  

I'm still getting the Blue Mule ready for summer trips.  Took it for a test drive the other day to get a reading on the EFI.  This was before it went to the muffler shop.  Sounded loud with the straight pipe off the exhaust manifold.  Had a nice rumble to it.  We still have a short punch list of things to do, but the big item is replace the synchronizers in the tranny.  That'll happen in a week or two.  

For those of you planning to join us this year for FCT, now is a good time to start looking at your maintenance needs.  When was the last time you adjusted your brakes?  They need your attention at least every other year, but they will work better if you attend to them every year.  Have you topped off your Tranny, Transfer case, and differentials with gear oil?  How's your air cleaner looking?  Still full of last year's dust??  I would like for everyone to be the guy who drives the tours all week long without a breakdown.  Start getting ready.  Five months go by fast! 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
mriceflinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2019 at 1:56pm
Hay Mike,
 Just wondering if you got a lot of snow over there like we got in the Montrose area. I have heard reports that the San Juans  have about 160% of average and the grand mesa is about the same. Also what do you think that will do for the FCT scenery this year. The mountains are looking awful white!  Mike 
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2019 at 7:33pm
Hey Mike,
My valley is almost 160% of normal snowpack.  In fact we're headed toward this being the most snow on record for our mountains.  That also means I won't be able to do much recon work until June.  Many of our roads will be snowed in through May.  CDOT said Cottonwood Pass may not open before July because of snow.  That'll mean the wild flowers will be late this year, but there should be a lot of them because of the moisture.  Some of the high peaks will have drifts well into August this year.  The aspens should be able to support lots of leaves this year.  Not sure if the extra moisture will have any affect on the colors we see.  I just pray that we won't get any strong storms early in September so the leaves will stay on the trees.  I also pray we won't get any early snow in September.
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2019 at 3:24am
I received one new registration this week from Wilson, and he added a pair of really neat stickers.  I'm anxious to hear the back story on them.  And I got a PM from a dear friend who asked me to withdraw their registration.  So the week balanced out with no net gain in numbers.  I want to remind folks that there is only 2 weeks left to send in your form if you'd like to join us this year.  

I replaced the drain plugs in both the transmission and transfer case about two years ago.  I put magnetic plugs in there to help trap any metal that might be floating by.  The one in the transfer case did it's job.  When we pulled the plug we found part of a gear tooth, and some small metal shavings attached to the plug.  So now the transfer case is out of the Jeep and we're checking the gears to see where the tooth came from, and why it broke off.  Having the magnetic drain plugs sure beats trying to filter the gear oil to see what might be in it.  Plus the mag-plugs keep the metal parts from re-circulating back through the gears.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
longmontgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longmontgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2019 at 3:59am
We’re getting excited for the lottery! Since the lottery is being drawn on my birthday, I’m hoping Those 92% odds will be in my favor! Can’t wait to see you all soon!!
Emily   :)

'48 2a "Lefty" (WFB legacy)
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2019 at 1:32am
Mark another week off the calendar.  Only one week plus a day or two until we do the lottery.  And speaking of calendars, have I mentioned that Arick does a great job putting together the calendars that commemorate each FCT event?  Let's give Arick a big round of applause, because he does this out of the goodness in his heart.  So I'm glad that when his heart was in trouble a couple years ago, his doctors took very good care of him so he could stick around for more Jeeping adventures.  But back to the subject at hand - the lottery.  We've got one week left to get registration forms in.  I didn't receive any forms this past week.  We've got 55 forms in the deck.  That means that there is a 91% chance for each and every registration to make it.  

M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2019 at 2:14am
Well, you've got my four.  It would have been six, but we wouldn't let the drill sergeant and the banker join us.  Kill joys, both of them!
Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2019 at 11:44am
We're getting down to the last few days and I've received 3 more registration forms. They were from Gonzalez, Webb, and Pruett.  From these 3 forms, two are from folks who are new to FCT.  Just a reminder that the last date for me to receive forms is next Tuesday, April 30th.  So get your form in the mail to me in the next day or so.  Then Wednesday, May 1st I'll run the random number lottery to see who gets what number.  With 58 forms now in the lottery there is an 86% chance of making it into the event.  

We have a large number of new folks looking to join us for FCT this year.  I don't think we've had so many new Jeeps since the first year or two that we introduced the FCT to the world of Jeepers.  I'm excited to meet all these new people and show them the trails in my back yard.  I hope that most, if not all of the new folks will be here at Thirsty Dirt Ranch before noon on Sunday.  Bruce, Ron, and I would love to have the new folks, and any returnee's who are interested, join us for a Sunday afternoon class in mountain driving.  We'll talk about tips for how to drive in steep terrain, what our roads and trails look like, how to save your brakes and use your engine, and other topics that will help to make your experience more enjoyable and less stressful.  So especially if you are a first-time attendee we hope that you will join us for this informative class Sunday afternoon.  We will spend time in or near my shop talking, and then we'll take you for a short drive into the national forest to give you a chance to test your jeep at altitude, and experience some of what we've told you.  If you can't make it because of travel schedules, we'll do what we can to catch you up once  you get here.  

On our trail rides, we do everything we can to make sure every Jeep stays with us.  But if a breakdown is significant enough to sideline a Jeep, then we implement recovery plans to make sure every Jeep gets back to the ranch that day.  We leave no Jeep on the mountain overnight.  And one of our expectations for all participants is that you will help with the recovery efforts within your abilities.  It's the mutual support from within the group that helps to make everyone's day just a little better.  And if everyone has done good maintenance on their Jeep before they get here, then you can be a contributor instead of a casualty on the trails.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2019 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by m38mike m38mike wrote:

Bruce, Ron, and I would love to have the new folks, and any returnee's who are interested, join us for a Sunday afternoon class in mountain driving.  We'll talk about tips for how to drive in steep terrain, what our roads and trails look like, how to save your brakes and use your engine, and other topics that will help to make your experience more enjoyable and less stressful.  So especially if you are a first-time attendee we hope that you will join us for this informative class Sunday afternoon.  We will spend time in or near my shop talking, and then we'll take you for a short drive into the national forest to give you a chance to test your jeep at altitude, and experience some of what we've told you

This is something I really look forward to.  A greenhorn learning from the experienced guys. 
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2019 at 12:44pm
This is it!  Today is the last day for me to receive registration forms for this year's FCT.  This evening I'll be busy getting everything ready for the Lottery.  In fact I may actually run the lottery this evening and post up the results tomorrow.  I will only list last names tomorrow to let you know who made the cut and who didn't.  I will mail out confirmation letters with some added details to each person who makes the cut.  I will mail out offers for the alternate list to those who don't make the cut.  I'll try to get the letters out tomorrow, but it may be Thursday before they get mailed.  I hope everyone gave me a good address to receive mail.  If your physical address is not a good mailing address, send me a private message to let me know.  

I want to remind folks that you are welcome to come as a walk-in, and do not need to pre-register to do that.  However, we will still need a registration and waiver from you before you join us on the trails.  That's so we can contact the right person if anything bad happens to you.  We always have empty seats, and I know that many of the solo drivers would love to have company out on the trail.  

Check in again tomorrow to see the last name lists for primary's and alternates.  Good luck to each of you.  And I hope the numbers are good to you.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 7:01am
OK folks, I created the list and ran the random number generator in Excel to see who will be coming and who will be alternates.  Here are the lists in alphabetical order.

PRIMARIES:  Ahlbrandt, Bokelman/junghans, Boyd/Oram (Happy Birthday!), Brozek, Buckley/Gilliland, Caldwell, Cary, Chillemi, Clark/Pewe, Dennis/Herrmann, DeYoung/Speck, Evans, Franks, Gibson, Gonzalez, Hawkridge, Herman, Herrera, Hinton, Huffaker, Johnson (K/D), Johnson (J/C), Johnson/Moore, Jones/Barker, Kelly, King, Kjome, Ladwig/Domajnko, Lannerd, Lee, Linafelter, Logan/Cooke, Meyers, Murch, Nichols, Petrowich, Pierce, Pruett, Ralls, Reichert, Rice/Musick, Rodgers, Rodgers/Souders, Rudy, Sanders/Anderson, Sites, Stokes, Tarvin, Waddle, Williams. 

ALTERNATES:  Carlson, Dawson, Fitch, Koller, Ohrns, Schiefer, Vickery, Vogelzang, Webb, Wilson. 

I used the Excel command RANDBETWEEN(1,99) to generate my random numbers.  I know that each random number was truly random and not influenced by any other number selection.  I had almost a half-dozen duplicate numbers once I sorted the number/name list.  The primary list is the first 50 names from sorting the random numbers into ascending order.  The alternates are the last 10 names from the list.  If you are interested in learning what number the generator gave you I'll be happy to share.  I saved the number/name list.  

Well, it's been a long evening typing and testing the spreadsheet to make sure it worked.  It does.  I knew many of you will be looking for your name this morning.  I hope I didn't misspell anyone's name. It's way past my bed time so I'll say good night to all of you.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
longmontgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longmontgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 11:25am
Mike thank you for all you do to make this trip happen!! We are so excited to be bringing Lefty! If we can do anything to help, please let us know!
Emily   :)

'48 2a "Lefty" (WFB legacy)
OffroadDave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OffroadDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 1:39pm
Thank you, Mike. Sleep well. Clap
1959 Willys CJ-3B
1995 Jeep Wrangler
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 3:10pm
Mike,  so if you have a cancellation, do you run the #'s again for the alternates and produce another random lottery, or is there some hierarchy with the names already?

Tom
1949 CJ3A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 28>