Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

buick v6

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wild1joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: buick v6
    Posted: 01 Feb. 2019 at 12:55am
I've spent a lot of time reading on here, pages and pages of information. I really like the look of the Willy's.
How ever - I have to be honest and say 40 - 45 mph will not work for me.

I need to do at least 55-60 mph to be able to use it and enjoy it.

SO -I think I should be looking at one with at least a V6 in it.

Every off road trail is at least 2 hours away .

My question is ( with a Buick V6 - will I be able to achieve 55 mph) and be capable off road?

What else will I need ?

Do I need to have an overdrive?

Do I need a 4 speed transmission?

I would really like to hear about your experiences …..

Please don't flame me for not wanting a 100% original one.

Edited by wild1joker - 01 Feb. 2019 at 12:57am
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2019 at 1:01am
Good motors. You will be able to do at least 85MPH. I had one that would do over 110 MPH. Yeah, better fuel mileage as well.
uncamonkey
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2019 at 2:08am
There are many ways to envision the perfect Jeep universal.
Building a universal Jeep from scratch can certainly yield the best results.
There are many selections to be made and it's merely a game where you the builder make your own guidelines and rules.

First one must decide upon whatever model most closely fits the need.
Here below I'll use the model CJ-3B as an example.
I classify all builds as explained here:

STOCK... infers that the CJ-3B uses only components that are correct for a model CJ-3B and correct for it's specific date of manufacture. 
The stock category includes both "stock standard" and "stock optional"
The term stock itself infers the factory stockpile of Jeep components.

TRANS-VINTAGE... infers that all parts used are correct for CJ-3B but not necessarily correct for your specific vintage. 
Example: Using a 12 volt 3B generator installed onto a 1953 vintage.

TRANS-MODEL... infers the crossing of  various "JEEP" models. 
Example: Might include non 3B components such as the CJ-5 Renegade I roll bar.

TRANS-MAKE... infers having components from other vehicle manufacturers; therefore the sky is the limit.
Example: CJ-3B body tub but built on a custom made frame or perhaps having Ford 9" axles.

With that in mind I personally like the challenge of building Trans Model CJ's.
This implies any year or any model of parts so long as its using 100% Jeep parts.
Not Ford, Not GM and generally no aftermarket parts allowed.

I see the Warn O.D. as being perfectly acceptable and desirable. 
It was approved by Kaiser as being  Genuine Jeep Approved Special Equipment in September of 1964.

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2019 at 4:19am
Lots of questions there.  LOL

It depends on what you want to do with your Jeep

A year ago,   my '2A had a 225 V6,  T-90,  D18,  overdrive, and 5.38 axles.   It would easily do 60mph,  even up fairly steep hills.   Only downside to me,  the crawl ratio was not low enough

In past year,  I swapped out drivetrain to SM420, D300, and 3.73 axles.   I really like this combination.  Low geared enough for Rubicon,  but I can drive on the road at 60 mph with ease  (if the road is straight LOL,  curves are scary)

I have moved into OldTime's "Trans-Make" category,  but only the engine and transmission.   Everything else is Jeep.

edit:
As I thought about it more,   only the transmission is not Jeep . . .  the current 225 came from a '68 Jeep Commando. Smile

Edited by JeepFever - 01 Feb. 2019 at 8:03pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2019 at 5:25am
Not to pat myself on the back but I did Terra lows on 2 Jeeps and we get to the top of a trail, I'm right with them. Sorry, the driver has a lot to do with it.
Stock Cj3b with a V6.
uncamonkey
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2019 at 3:47pm
Yeah certainly nothing wrong with the TRANS MAKE AKA TRANS MANUFACTURE category. 
That category allows for nearly unlimited extra possibilities.
It's challenging  category for the mechanical experts and wizards.
Myself I have enough trouble keeping up with all the Jeep interchange possibles let alone trying to fit in the best of Hudson, GM or Studebaker. Ha Ha Ha !

Wildjoker... If you can give us a realistic view of the jeeps useage we can give you better advice.
Mostly need to know how much road time vs offroad time and how hard you want to run it in those conditions.

Engine selection is only second to the model selection. 
And any of the V-6 engines are really ideal for nearly all flatty builds.
They just fit right and the power curve of most is typically very good.

The remainder of drivetrain component selection should be based upon the intended useage, the selected model and engine.

The final product should ever be considered as a completed unit.
For it to function as need be, the build must become a complete synchronous system of matching and complimentary components and assemblies.

T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

wild1joker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wild1joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2019 at 9:07pm
My 1st priority is - I have to be able to use it .

If I want to drive it to work - I want to be able to. 20 minutes away.

If I want to drive to the beach - I need to be able to. 2 hours away.

I t has to be good for light trail duty.

The closest to me is Uwharrie National forest.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2019 at 9:44pm
Do the V6. There is a reason they have been used for years.
uncamonkey
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2019 at 10:54pm
Quote There is a reason they have been used for years.
Actually the F-134 is far more time proven than is the D-225. 
But that's really another story and otherwise I fully agree with the V-6 for this task.

I suppose this is a 2A build. Right ?
A V-6 is near impossible to beat if you expect this to perform as a daily driver on todays roads.
Basically looking at the 225's, the  231 or the 4.3 
I would estimate GM 4.3 parts easiest to source followed by 231 Buicks then 225 Dauntless.
All will get notably better MPG's than the original 134  engines.

Your next best engines would be very small V8's like the Buick 215 or GM 265/283. 
I'm just not big on larger displacement for the little ole CJ like a stroked GM 350 small block.
For Jeeps it's more about available torque than shear HP.

Or you might also consider the largest of the modern I-4 engines.
The GM 181 is a good fit but that will require some parts sourcing.
The smaller GM 153 is also do-able providing sufficient on-road power.
Just don't plan on pulling a trailer down the Interstate with the smaller engines.

That said my all time personal preference for a trans model flatty build is the Jeep 225 Dauntless.
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2019 at 11:20pm
Years ago I was looking at 2 engines. A 215 and a 198 V6. The old coot pointed at the 198 and said it is what I wanted to use. If built up, It will outrun a 225 with the same work done to them. Sort of hard to source them now.
uncamonkey
hotrod59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotrod59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2019 at 2:09am
I'm in the same boat you are, I like to drive my jeep to the trails  I was going to do a 4.3 but decided on a 225. Not running yet but very close  
1948 Luzon red CJ2A No name yet
1952 CJ3A "SPUDZ"
47heater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47heater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2019 at 3:10am
Hotrod59, What did you use for the exhaust? Any photos of the path of the exhaust?
wild1joker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wild1joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2019 at 4:03am
I was just looking at the adapters from Novak. Buying everything new will not be cheap ….
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2019 at 6:30am
Bite the bullet and do it right.  Buick v6, ford t-18 4 speed, adapted to stock transfer case.  You can modify the stock v6 bell housing to the ford T18 pretty easily.  I was in the same boat years ago and am really glad I went this route. 

Check the  classifieds, there's a T18 on there now!Big smile

Edited by windyhill - 02 Feb. 2019 at 6:32am
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2019 at 3:37pm
wild1joker,    Where you located ? in NC ?

Here's some good parts that just showed up on ECJ5.
Looks like the engine is also available.....
If your not needing a rock crawler then the T14 is pretty good.

Edited by oldtime - 02 Feb. 2019 at 3:40pm
Zero aftermarket parts

Y2GREY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Y2GREY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2019 at 3:51pm
we used a t18 out of a 78 cj5 in our build. We had to source an adapter for the 225 bell housing but we got a factory adapter to a d20 on the back end. The configuration is 225, t18, super 18 with 4:86 Rock Eater gears and 3:73s in the rears. We have super low compound gearing at 114:1 and decent highway driving although 4:27s may be better for long highway hills.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2019 at 4:30pm
Quote  Years ago I was looking at 2 engines. A 215 and a 198 V6. The old coot pointed at the 198 and said it is what I wanted to use. If built up, It will outrun a 225 with the same work done to them. Sort of hard to source them now.

Yeah it's really too bad that  the 198 V-6 was only made for such a short span of time. 
That certainly is an excellent choice albeit scarce and hard locating parts.
Without an adapter the 198 and the 215 both use the same and only bellhousing that will bolt up direct to a Jeep  T90.
The 198 dates just prior to the Buick 225 Fireball.

I have an old article from 1963 "hot Rod" magazine tells about installing the 198 Fireball into a CJ.
Really cool old school tech.
In fact there's a bunch of those Hot Rod mags over on eBay for December 1963....

Edited by oldtime - 02 Feb. 2019 at 4:43pm
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2019 at 6:50pm
Yes, the 198 was a good motor. Too bad I blew 1 of them up. I turned a V6 into a V4. I was heading up to a friends cabin and a roomie was following in his 912. I beat him on the straights but he got me in the corners.
uncamonkey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>