Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Q&A about my jeeps tires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Q&A about my jeeps tires
    Posted: 05 Feb. 2019 at 9:27pm
Ive had a few questions asked about my tires lately so here they are.... They are cooper stt pro radials.
The size is 215/85-16. They are load range E. They are on 16x5.5" wheels. I am running 1" spacers (to clear my rotors) They measure about 30" tall and about 7" wide. I run them at 15-19 psi. I am tubeless and have had zero issues with them. Ive run them in snow/rain/mud, so far I am very pleased. I have put about 1700 miles on them since last spring. 

Cj3bmutt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cj3bmutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2019 at 10:48pm
I put the same tires on my 3B this winter.  I installed them on 16X7 rims.  I like the way they look and ride.  Can’t wait until this spring to get them out and see how they do on the trails.  
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2019 at 12:10am
Thank you Sir!, I’ve been thinking different wheel/tire combo on DadsJeep. I’m currently running 235/75/R15 on 15x7 wagon wheels. What I do not like is the width of the package, they fling mud/crap up on the body sides, and airing down in the mountains the steering effort is more than I care for with shoulders & elbows in not so great shape anymore. I have 7.00x15 ndcc’s on my 3B and the steering effort is nothing compared to DadsJeep!. I was considering 7.00x16 ndcc’s but would rather stick to a radial tire for the ride!. Your tire is the same height as a 7.00x16 and I will consider that as well, I’ve had very good luck with Cooper tires also on my daily drivers.

Thank you, Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2019 at 12:30am
I really can't understand why no one makes the 215/ 85R /16" in 6 ply rating.
Those Coopers look to a great tread design for M&S use on trail and street but not so great as a 10 ply trailer tire.

In my previous searches I was amazed to find but one single mfg. for the 235 /85R/16" in 6 ply.
The Pirelli Mud Scorpion 235 85 16.
This is my present collection of tires:
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2019 at 1:35am
You mentioned that you run them tubeless and at 15-19psi, what is the recommended tire pressure stamped on the tire?  I ask because the tires I run are load range D and suggest like 60psi.  I am running at about 30 because I am not sure what will happen if I go lower.
Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2019 at 1:43am
I run that low pressure because they are a stiffer tire. Load range e. You can pull the valve core and it won’t evem look flat. This lower pressure makes it ride better and passes the contact patch chalk test. With The skinny rims I don’t worry about popping a bead or anything. I will have to look at the recommended pressure I’m guessing it’s 45 or so. 
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2019 at 2:46am
Load range E tires have 80 psi max inflation pressure.  That's what's on the sidewall, but it's not the "recommended" pressure, it's the max pressure, used for the max load carrying.  Which for that tire is probably more than the weight of a Jeep.  On one tire.

I had load range E BFG Mud-Terrains (the old ones,before the KM) in LT235/85R16 on a '75 CJ5.  I thought those were pretty good tires for that vehicle until I got load range C tires.  So much better ride with the Cs.  I like the width/dia of a lot of tires that only come in load range E.  But I don't want that heavy / stiff a tire on a lightweight vehicle.  (Emphasize "I don't want...", your mileage may vary)
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2019 at 3:52am
Who makes the tire in the center classic looking mud & snow tire?  Thanks...
nivrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nivrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2019 at 5:33am
FWIW, I just put these on my 46 project...
7.50x16 Deestone D503's. They're on 4.5" wide rims, and are just a hair under 32"

Mike

nivrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nivrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2019 at 5:35am
Sheesh pics didn't show lemme try again...
Mike

nivrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nivrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2019 at 5:39am
7.50x16 Deestone D503's just under 32" tall.

Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2019 at 9:21am
Thank you
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2019 at 3:52pm
Quote Who makes the tire in the center classic looking mud & snow tire?

Left to right......
STA 6.50 x 16" Super Traxion 6 ply rating (tube type) section width of 7.2 and a tread width of 6-1/4" > 30" diameter uninflated
STA 7.50 x 16" Super Traxion 8 ply rating (tubeless) section width of 8.7 and a tread width of 7" > 31" diameter uninflated. 
Pirelli 235/85R/16" Mud Scorpion 6 ply rating (radial) section width of 9.3" and a tread width of 7-1/4" > 31-1/4" uninflated.

The Pirelli's are the only 215 / 235 section width 85 aspect ratio radial tires I have ever found with a 6 ply rating. 
All other  215/235 width radials are made with 10 ply because these narrow tires are most often intended for trailer applications.

I really like the tread and also the way those Coopers are siped for better grip and wear but I consider the 10 ply rating no good for the off road flex. 
10 ply tires mounted on a Jeep means you to inflate it to abnormal low pressure just to get a full contact pattern on hard ground.

Besides NDT's and NDCC's These are the skinniest tires that I could find which are anywhere close to 31" tall and 6 ply rated for on/off road use.
Each has its drawback. 
The 6.50 Super Traxion  is only 30" tall inflated.
The 7.50 Super Traxion is available only with 8 plies. 
Mine are tubeless design but they are also made as 8 ply tube type.
The Mud Scorpions are a tad wider than I prefer and have no siping.
But they do have a decent 2 stage lug design.

Edited by oldtime - 06 Feb. 2019 at 4:24pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Charles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2019 at 4:13pm
Im running the middle tire on my 46.  I mounted them on Keystone 15 x 7 wagon wheel spoke rims.  I like them however I have not tried them on trails yet will let you know. 

Charlie
46 CJ2A 26063
46 CJ2A 19760

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2019 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

.... All other  215/235 width radials are made with 10 ply because these narrow tires are most often intended for trailer applications....

In addition to the 215/235 ST trailer tires, LT235/85R16 was the standard size for single wheel 3/4 and 1 ton trucks for a long time and there's an LT215 that was standard on duallies (narrower to prevent the sidewalls from rubbing each other).  But again load range E is a good choice for those applications.

And for what it's worth, very few tires these days are made with the number of plies in their rating.  Load range E tires are "10 ply rated" but most only have 2 or 3 plies in the sidewall and maybe 5 or 6 in the tread.  But they're still stiff and heavy, so actual number of plies really isn't as significant as the load range.  But a lot of people still call load range E 10 ply, D 8 ply, C 6 ply, B 4 ply, A 2 ply.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2019 at 7:51pm
Like "nothing special" said the tires are not 10ply... I looked today they are 6 and 3. All this talk had me curious... So I made an experiment video for you....and me... haha! 

Edited by Millennium falcon - 06 Feb. 2019 at 8:03pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2019 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by Millennium falcon Millennium falcon wrote:

Like "nothing special" said the tires are not 10ply... I looked today they are 6 and 3. All this talk had me curious... So I made an experiment video for you....and me... haha! 

... but as you note in your video, they're still load range E, which is "10 ply rated".  So for people that want a "6 ply" tire, these ain't that.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2019 at 10:16pm
I don’t think any of us are arguing with you on that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>