Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Inner tubes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siskiwit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inner tubes
    Posted: 12 Feb. 2019 at 9:57pm
im going to put some Interco 9x32-16 tires on some stock 16 inch wheels. Im looking to put inner tubes inside for safety. Does anybody know of a source of tube to fit these rims? I understand they have offset stem holes so a tube might be hard to find in this size. I thought I’d ask you guys instead of searching and calling for hours.
'48 2a - '46 2a - '54 3b - '70 cj5 and a bunch of accessories.
Siskiwit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siskiwit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2019 at 11:16pm
Found some on eBay. 700 750 -16 with tr15 stems. Just got educated on tubes, didn’t know much about them.
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2019 at 7:16am
Originally posted by Siskiwit Siskiwit wrote:

im going to put some Interco 9x32-16 tires on some stock 16 inch wheels. Im looking to put inner tubes inside for safety.

Can you elaborate on your concerns about safety?  I’m running the Interco 9x34-16 on stock 16” wheels with no inner tubes.  Tin Badge on here is running the same setup as well.  I haven’t had any issues running these tires without tubes even at Willys highway speeds.  
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Siskiwit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siskiwit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2019 at 11:32am
Just cheap insurance I guess. I was on the thought pattern of having to air down a bit to get the crown out of the center of the tread. Also if I hit a stump or rock the bead will stay on. I did get my tire selection from you guys.
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2019 at 6:07pm
I run my Intercos at around 20 psi on the street.  No crown on the tire at this pressure.  Sometimes I even run 30 psi, but I don’t run enough on pavement to really notice excessive wear because of it.  

Now, as for popping beads, I have done that 3 times since I installed these tires.  Each times it happened, I was running 6-7 psi.  I run them most of the time with 10 psi and haven’t popped a bead at that pressure.  Even when I have popped a bead, we wrapped a ratchet strap around it and aired it back up without problems.  Tires shops have some sealant that they use sometimes on leaky beads and we put that on one of my tires recently.  It sorts acts like glue also, so this might be an option to help keep the bead from popping.

Having said all that in defense of not needing tubes, I have actually been thinking about trying tubes as well; only because I like to air down to 4-6 psi with these super heavy duty tires.  I get much better bulge and obstacle conformity at that pressure as compared to 10 psi.  So, if you go with tubes, keep us posted here on how they perform.
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Siskiwit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siskiwit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2019 at 6:57pm
That’s some good info. The rig won’t see much highway use it’s primarily a hunting rig. Just don’t want the hastel of swapping tires in or after a mud hole.
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2019 at 11:27pm
Just a thought... how is a tube going to keep the tire on the bead if it only has 6 psi in it??
It wouldn’t require a strap to rebead but won’t the tire still come off the bead??

Edited by Flatfender Ben - 13 Feb. 2019 at 11:33pm
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2019 at 1:44am
I used the same size Swampers on 7" wheels.....I prefer tubes also, could air down to 8-10 didn't have a problem......( but then again I may have not had a problem anyway, who knows)

Different strokes for different folks.....gettin' to old to try and change anybody's mind.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2019 at 2:00am
One thing about having tubes is if you do have a problem when airing down all you have to do is get the weight off the tire and give it some air and it will reseat. No M-80's or either or what ever else stupid stuff you see some Russian guy doing on You tube to reseat a tire.

I plan on carrying a Tube as part of my repair kit. Cause with a big boot patch and a tube you can get out of the woods even if you tear up a side wall pretty good.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2019 at 2:32am
Originally posted by Flatfender Ben Flatfender Ben wrote:

Just a thought... how is a tube going to keep the tire on the bead if it only has 6 psi in it??
It wouldn’t require a strap to rebead but won’t the tire still come off the bead??

Without a tube if the tire comes off the bead just a little it will puke out all the air right away.  With a tube you won't lose all your air.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2019 at 4:58am
Originally posted by Nothing Special Nothing Special wrote:

Without a tube if the tire comes off the bead just a little it will puke out all the air right away.  With a tube you won't lose all your air.
Yes I completely understand with no tube you lose all the air when the tire comes off the bead. 
A tube will definitely make it easier to rebead a tire. 

The postings are talking about running tubes as a safety to keep the tire (ON)the bead, and that the tubes will be insurance to keep the tire (ON) the bead. 
My point was a tube isn’t going to keep a tire (ON) the bead just makes it easier to rebead. 

Edited by Flatfender Ben - 14 Feb. 2019 at 5:05am
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
outlw21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlw21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2019 at 5:49am
You might try Summit Racing
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2019 at 2:02pm

My point was a tube isn’t going to keep a tire (ON) the bead

I guess that's probably a debatable point.....and a point that would fall more to 'personal preference' as there is some disagreement......(unless we are talking about a tube with zero air in it)

At low air pressure there is alot better chance of spinning the tube valve stem out of the hole than unseating the bead.

Just an opinion.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2019 at 3:38pm
I forgot to add coming off the bead at low psi to my opinion. 

And spinning the valve stem out of the hole is another thing I hadn’t thought of. Great addition to the discussion rocnroll. 

Sounds like what we need is some serious off-road testing to compare different setupsClap
My strongest opinion is you guys are awesome for having the coolest tires ever. 
Im drooling over all your super swampers LOL
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2019 at 5:46pm
I think for most people a tire "coming off the bead" is synonymous with "losing all of it's air".  As Ben points out, that's not literally true, a tire can continue to hold air after it pops over the bead (especially if it has a tube).   But that's not really a "failure."  You can keep driving like that (not saying you should...).

It's usually only seen as a failure if the tire loses air.  A tubeless tire will do that any time it comes off the bead.  A tube will do it if the wheel spins in the tire, tearing off the valve stem (as rocnroll brought up).  Given the same tire / wheel combo and same (low) air pressure which of these failures is less likely?  "Common knowledge" says the tube is less likely to cause a flat when running at low air pressure, but as Ben brings up, that may not be true, and some testing to determine the truth would be very interesting!

Another question would be the severity of the failure.  Tubeless you need to reseat the bead, which can be difficult if you don't have a GOOD source of air.  With a tube it's easy to reseat the bead IF you catch it before the tire slips on the wheel.  Otherwise you've destroyed a tube and you need to replace it.  If you have tire irons and a poor air compressor this might be easier than reseating a tubeless tire, but if you don't have tire irons and do have a good compressor it's a lot harder.  And it requires you to have a spare tube.

More testing is clearly needed!
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2019 at 7:05pm
For the record, I’ve been running my 7.00 x 16 NDTs with tubes at 8-9 psi on the trail for the last two years or so. In that time I have had one flat tire. The flat was due to tube failure around the valve stem. I don’t think I can blame this on low pressure tire spin. I believe it is more likely due to the fact that I have the tubes with the smaller diameter valve stem that don't quite fill up the hole in the wheel.

I think Jpet runs his even lower at times.

Edited by smfulle - 14 Feb. 2019 at 9:44pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2019 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

For the record, I’ve been running my 7.00 x 16 NDTs with tubes at 8-9 psi on the trail for the last two years or so. In that time I have had one flat tire. The flat was due to tube failure failure around the valve stem. I don’t think I can blame this on low pressure tire spin. I believe it is more likely due to the fact that I have the tubes with the smaller diameter valve stem that do t quite fill up the hole in the wheel.

I think Jpet runs his even lower at times.

They do make little plastic adapter rings for the small valve stems in a large hole wheel. 
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2019 at 9:46pm

They do make little plastic adapter rings for the small valve stems in a large hole wheel. 

Probably should get some. Wonder who sells them?
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>