Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Distributor and oil pump indexing Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Distributor and oil pump indexing Questions
    Posted: 17 Feb. 2019 at 8:54pm
I know this question has been asked again and again on the forum but I can't seem to find answers to my questions. First of all will the distributor being off because of incorrectly installed oil pump make it so the jeep cannot be tuned to run at its best? I've heard as long as it is tuned by Vacuum Gauge, it can run as well as it should, is this true? If not true, How in the heck does one index a oil pump? What kind of vacuum gauge does everyone on the forum use?  

Edited by TateC - 17 Feb. 2019 at 10:22pm
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2019 at 11:52pm
TateC asked: "will the distributor being off because of incorrectly installed oil pump make it so the jeep cannot be tuned to run at its best?"  
  No, it just makes the clock position of the spark plug wires on the distributor cap to be "not correct".
  Tuning by vacuum gauge sets everything to its best at idle, but has nothing to do with tuning above that point. I can guarantee that if you set your timing at idle by a vacuum gauge, it will be too far advanced at elevated RPM's. Timing should be set with a timing light, and if you want to advance the timing a bit to compensate for altitude (about 1* for each 1,000 ft. of elevation) or modern fuel, that's fine, but you will have a "number" to refer to in later adjustments rather than "back it off a bit". Set it to the spec in the book, and it will run "as well as it should".    BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2019 at 5:42am
So if that is the case, why does everyone suggest using a Vacuum Gauge?
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
IronAge52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronAge52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2019 at 6:13am
The way I do it on a fresh rebuilt engine is first have the oil pump lose and doping down about about 1 inch or not in engaged with the distributor.
next i determine top dead center ,compression stroke of number 1 cylinder .done by placing a finger in the open spark hole and slowly rotating engine with socket. you should realize build of compression.
next check timing marks on flywheel they should Aline.
next put in distributor having the rotor pointing about 5 o'clock position , to number one cylinder.
place the screws in lightly. next pop out oil pump rotate it until it engages with distributor than bolt it up tight.
this should  roughly time the engine.
gearwrencher
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2019 at 7:10am
Originally posted by TateC TateC wrote:

So if that is the case, why does everyone suggest using a Vacuum Gauge?

Because it sounds good, and "Bubba's way" is always better than the "Factory way".  BW

By the way, not "everyone" does.
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2019 at 12:08pm
You can use a vacuum gage to check overall health of the engine and when you are adjusting the fuel
mixture screw on the carburetor.
 Post Reply Post Reply