Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grampa’s Jeep at Sand Hollow in the rain

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grampa’s Jeep at Sand Hollow in the rain
    Posted: 03 Mar. 2019 at 2:28pm
Jpet joined me for a rainy day of rock bashing in the rain at Sand Hollow near Hurricane Utah.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2019 at 3:23pm
Looked like a good time guys. Great view of a 4 link. Just enough rain to keep the dust down.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2019 at 5:17pm
That was a fun video.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2019 at 9:43pm
A very fun place to wheel. Tougher than Moab and more compact. We hit several obstacles in the first half hour . Lots of sand with whooptidoos to scramble in.

This may be the first and only time a CJ2A came through SLC airport:

..... also got to see the barn where the dance in “Footloose” was held:

Thanks Stan for a gr8 time!! Hope we can do this again soon!!
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2019 at 10:38pm
Cool video. It made me think of a military Modification Work Order when I saw Grandpa's Jeep passenger seat flip forward and contact the windshield. Check it out here....

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2019 at 2:22am
I usually tie the seat down with the seatbelt, but Jeff was using the seat belt as he rode with me. He would jump out to take the videos and then the seat was free to fly around. I probably should do something so it doesn’t  fly around if I am going to have riders bail out on me on those slight inclines where the seat might flop.

Edited by smfulle - 04 Mar. 2019 at 2:52pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2019 at 2:49pm
That makes sense and explains why I didn't remember seeing the seat moving around on the Rubicon!
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2019 at 1:56am
Great video! Looks like tons of fun....soggy fun. 
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2019 at 12:56pm
Great video Stan. Looks like a very fun trail. I wish it wasn't 16 hours away from me.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2019 at 4:30am
Wow!!!
Spectacular video. 
Stan you are a great Jeep artist the way you pilot that amazing Flatfender up the slippery rocks. 

Jeff great job getting all this awesome footage. 

My favorite video so far this year!!
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2019 at 4:09pm
Great video guys, looks like fun, adding Sand Hollow to my list!
1970 CJ5 Dauntless, 4.88 (His)
1948 CJ2A Dauntless, 3.54 (Hers)
1948 CJ2A "Targhee", yup, still under construction but getting closer
Instagram: old_money_2a

mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2019 at 7:32pm
Love the sound of the creaky and growning and the sewing machine engine on your Willys Stan....awesome video...thanks for posting on here...

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2019 at 7:37pm
Stan actually went through more stuff than the video shows. I tried my best to keep the video under 30 minutes and wasn't able to.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2019 at 10:49pm
Finally had some time to watch this thread....

Holy Cow!   What a fun video....and I loved that road in, and out!   The rest of it had me shaking my head knowing that would be more than Lumpy or I could handle!!   but I'd love some of that Utah mud on my wheels!...looks so good!    Stan!  excellent "wheelmanship" with more than several ounces of courage.  Something I kept thinking about while watching is how tired my arms would be!    Jeff, good footage, good narration along the way.  You may want to start thinking about the "Trails of America" documentary...I think you have about half of them covered by now!   Great "guide" too!  I think he's done that a time or two!  Dang!  Librarians have all the fun!  LOL    Thanks for the ride along!
She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2019 at 4:36am
Stan never ceases to amaze.  LOL     There is so much to comment,  but in my "skim" viewing of this video,  I am convinced that Stan is either totally crazy or courageous,  (not sure which) . . but I imagine it is some percentage of each.  

I was amazed at times in video how well the NDT's appeared to have traction in these conditions,  when we hear so often how miserable they are in wet conditions. 

Wheelbase can work for our short rigs,  or against us.    I don't recall ever seeing a trail that worked so hard against a '2A wheelbase as when Grandpa's Jeep was suspended in air, on bumper and drawbar,  with 4 wheels spinning.  LOL

Thanks Stan for showing what a "mostly stock" '2A can do,  and to Jpet for capturing.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2019 at 11:01am
Because nobody told him he couldn't LOL

Awesome video...thanks for the ride along Thumbs Up

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2019 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

Stan never ceases to amaze.  LOL     There is so much to comment,  but in my "skim" viewing of this video,  I am convinced that Stan is either totally crazy or courageous,  (not sure which) . . but I imagine it is some percentage of each.  

I’m mostly just a fat old man pretending I’m still a teenager. I am too gimpy to do much physical thrill seeking like hiking or running marathons like my wife. Bungee jumping, now that something that IS crazy. No, I’ll just sit in this seat and see where this 60 horsepower pile of rusty fun will take me. And so far, it’s been the most fun I’ve ever had.

Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

Wheelbase can work for our short rigs,  or against us.    I don't recall ever seeing a trail that worked so hard against a '2A wheelbase as when Grandpa's Jeep was suspended in air, on bumper and drawbar,  with 4 wheels spinning.  LOL

We all had a pretty good laugh at that spot.  Jeff is good about editing the video to make everyone look pretty good. There were a couple of other times I had to take a strap that didn’t make the final cut, but this one was too humorous not to keep in. I did study that spot for a bit after they rescued me to see if there is a way for me to get through there on my own. We’ll see.

Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Not on this trip, but I’ve had a few people tell me I shouldn’t.

Edited by smfulle - 07 Mar. 2019 at 3:02pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2019 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Not on this trip, but I’ve had a few people tell me I shouldn’t.

Ignore those fools Smile
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>