Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grampa’s Jeep at Sand Hollow in the rain

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2019 at 3:12pm
If you go to the 34:30 mark on the video, that obstacle is like the Escalator with a 90 degree left turn. Impressive.

At the 37:30 mark, Kevin does a climb that Stan opted not to do. That one makes me VERY nervous. Failure would be unforgiving.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2019 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

If you go to the 34:30 mark on the video, that obstacle is like the Escalator with a 90 degree left turn. Impressive.

At the 37:30 mark, Kevin does a climb that Stan opted not to do. That one makes me VERY nervous. Failure would be unforgiving.

I would like to amend my previous statement LOL

Ignore those fools that tell you that you shouldn't, unless it's you telling yourself Wink

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2019 at 4:13pm
I too was amazed at the traction on what looks to be mainly wet granite stone.
It appears that tread or total lack thereof seems to be virtually meaningless on granite.

It's long been my opinion that NDT's are near ideal for almost any solid slab.
And certainly perfect for all gravel trails excepting maybe loose gravel creek beds where flotation becomes an issue.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2019 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

It's easy for me to watch Kevin's jeep ahead of me looking like it struggles a little bit in the 2nd part of that obstacle after the left hand turn, and get a little bit pumped up about myself when it looks like I didn't have that hard of a time coming up after it. Then I remember that on that particular obstacle it was Kevin's 12 year old daughter that was driving his jeep. 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2019 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

I too was amazed at the traction on what looks to be mainly wet granite stone.
It appears that tread or total lack thereof seems to be virtually meaningless on granite.

It's long been my opinion that NDT's are near ideal for almost any solid slab.
And certainly perfect for all gravel trails excepting maybe loose gravel creek beds where flotation becomes an issue.

Ken,
The surface there in Sand Hollow is pretty much the the same stuff that you drive on in Moab, the red Navajo Sandstone. It's like driving on maybe 120 grit sandpaper. That's what makes the driving there so fun. The traction is amazing. As the day wore on the rain kept coming and eventually the loose sand got saturated enough to start sticking to tires and rock surfaces. When Kevin would go up stuff ahead of me, he would grease up the wall with wet sandy mud. Sometimes it wasn't enough to stop me, but a couple of times I had to go around or take a strap. Hopefully on a dry day I can make a few more of those climbs that I passed on this day.

If anyone cares, here's a wikipedia article about Navajo Sandstone. (yes, I'm still a librarian)

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12