Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How far would you drive your 2A?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2019 at 1:16am
My father once drove a Willys MB over 500 miles in terrible storms, which were the aftermath of some hurricanes in Florida. 

The National Guard, of which he was assigned to the 30th Armored division, was called upon to respond to a hurricane in Florida. 

This Jeep was still equipped with manual wipers, so I expect his passenger was kept very busy.   

mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2019 at 12:41pm
Hey William

Do you have any pictures of your nifty toolbox to carry all the extra spare parts in??

When I drove one it (the tool box) was a little old craftsman tool box...maybe 24" long tops...I remember putting a bungee cord around it to it would not slide around inside the back of the Jeep...

Thanks for any insight

MikeC

I am the squirrel....
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2019 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by bkwudz bkwudz wrote:

i really want to do some long wander around NH or VT day trips in the willys.  My biggest limiting factori think is comfort.  But if its back roads sightseeing, i dont see a problem stopping often to stretch the legs and back.   Also think im going to notch the fenders and slide the seat back an inch or 2

You can notch out the corner of the seat frame and avoid cutting into your wheel housing. It will gain you about 3" legroom. See Moving seat to increase driver leg room in the Modification from original section.    
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
kchildress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kchildress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2019 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

Love this idea - back roads -way from the rat race.  It is amazing.  It would be nice if you could get a second Old Timey Jeep to travel with you on these outings.

Boys and girls, lemme tell ya what I did.  Late yesterday afternoon I had to make a 70-mile trip and an over-night stay.  After reading all of these replies I decided the Willys was the way to go.  So I planned a back-roads route, spent 20 minutes looking things over, put the pup in the back and off we went!  Just when I thought I knew every inch of North Carolina I found out I was badly mistaken.  I can't imagine a scenario where I would have ever driven some of these roads, but man, what a blast.  I use Google Maps fairly religiously for that stuff in which the driving time was calculated at 1 hr 38 min for the route I chose (which would have been for a "normal" car of course).  Speed limits were 34, 45, and 55 all the way and I finished the drive in 1 hr and 52 minutes ... only 14 minutes off "normal" pace!  Hot damn!  

The only problem I had was my temp gauge failed about 20 miles from my destination but I wasn't worried at all about overheating.  But the moment I stopped I jumped out to see what fluids were escaping from which orifices and found all was good.  Hot damn, again!  I was pumped!  She's ready for the long hauls just as soon as I get the steering gear replaced.  The trip back early this morning was just as nice. 

Someone asked for pics along the journey.  Here's a little glamour shot to celebrate my second and final pedal-to-the-metal test drive.  Check out those shiny steer knuckles!  Thumbs Up

'46 2A #19122, AKA Flattie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kchildress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2019 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by William_cj3b William_cj3b wrote:

Be courteous when driving on the roads!  Make it easy for people to pass if they feel the need or pull over occasionally when on 2-lane highways to let traffic by.  It's much less stressful this way.

I couldn't agree more.  The route I drove yesterday carried me over a lot of lonnnnnnngggg rolling hills on (sometimes) tight roads. We did fine but a couple times I wished I had a sign that read, "60 HP max at 4,000 RPM.  I'm turning 2,100 RPM in a dead pull.  Do the math."  :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kchildress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2019 at 5:23pm
I really appreciate all the suggestions for spare parts for distance trips.  Definitely a lot of practical stuff suggested but some of it makes me wonder where I'm going to carry an engine hoist and transmission jack.  LOL   Good times for sure. 
William_cj3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William_cj3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2019 at 10:11pm
I have one of these, plus a std 24" toolbox.

Actually I have two now.  I was stuffing the underseat toolbox and the space under the back seat.

One thing I forgot to mention:  EARPLUGS!!!  If you've never ridden 10-20 hrs in a flatfender on noisy tires, take a listen below...

William in L.A. (NW FL)
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2019 at 1:00am
Originally posted by kchildress kchildress wrote:

I couldn't agree more.  The route I drove yesterday carried me over a lot of lonnnnnnngggg rolling hills on (sometimes) tight roads. We did fine but a couple times I wished I had a sign that read, "60 HP max at 4,000 RPM.  I'm turning 2,100 RPM in a dead pull.  Do the math."  :)

Not to be a PITB but at 4000 rpm if 5.38's and 30" tall tires your doing 66mph.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2019 at 4:48am
Originally posted by William_cj3b William_cj3b wrote:

Be courteous when driving on the roads!  Make it easy for people to pass if they feel the need or pull over occasionally when on 2-lane highways to let traffic by.  It's much less stressful this way.

There have been times when I'm on a 2-lane road and I can get way over to the right and I still have to wave people behind me to come around and pass.  I always wonder what they think I've pulled so far over for...  Confused
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2019 at 12:18pm
Maybe they just like looking at the back of an old Jeep?
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2019 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

Been there and had that happen. Pull over at a overlook on the BRP because I have someone following close and they follow me and tell me " weren't trying to rush you, we just wanted to see your Jeep closer". Lol
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2019 at 3:05pm
I do that myself sometimes. Was behind a nice Model A pickup once, and when they pulled over I did too, just to look it over, and ask if it was for sale. The old man driving it said he couldn't sell it because he had promised it to his grandson.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2019 at 7:35pm
What the heck is "The BRP"? Burlington Railway Path? Big Rocky Passageway? British Rejected Parkway? Boston Regional Pathway? Bighorn Recreational Park?  Basque Rockies Passage?

Google is no help on this one!

Guys & gals, please keep in mind that this forum has a worldwide audience. Not everyone know the local jargon. For example, I had no idea that a Saffer was a South African.

Although I grew up near I-5, I had no idea that the Southern Californians called it "The 5". I do know that "The PCH" is the Pacific Coast Highway. But I would bet that most Saffers do not know this.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2019 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by 48willys 48willys wrote:

Been there and had that happen. Pull over at a overlook on the BRP because I have someone following close and they follow me and tell me " weren't trying to rush you, we just wanted to see your Jeep closer". Lol

X2! It has happened with many of the old rigs I drive.

I do that myself sometimes. Was behind a nice Model A pickup once, and when they pulled over I did too, just to look it over, and ask if it was for sale. The old man driving it said he couldn't sell it because he had promised it to his grandson.

Again X2! I will often flag someone down just to look at their rig. I only do this if it looks like they are not going the way I am, otherwise I follow them until they stop. I know it is a bit selfish of me, as they may be in a hurry to get to their destination, but IME, most folks are happy to share with me about their rig.
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2019 at 9:08pm
BRP - Blue Ridge Parkway!?? As in "...Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River...", except in Virginia, not West Virginia?

Edited by bobevans - 07 Mar. 2019 at 9:10pm
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2019 at 10:01pm
He's in Virginia.....I'd say that was correct.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kchildress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2019 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

What the heck is "The BRP"? Burlington Railway Path? Big Rocky Passageway? British Rejected Parkway? Boston Regional Pathway? Bighorn Recreational Park?  Basque Rockies Passage

Originally posted by bobevans bobevans wrote:

BRP - Blue Ridge Parkway!?? As in "...Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River...", except in Virginia, not West Virginia?

HAHAHA!  Ya'll are a trip.  Yes, BRP = Blue Ridge Parkway, which as a roadway, is in and of itself a National Park.  Its 469 miles of some of the most gorgeous scenery you'll ever see and connects the Shenandoah National Park and the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.  I've driven it all three times - once all at one time (with many, many stops along the way) and twice more in varied sections.  Oh, I can't wait to get Flattie up there!   
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2019 at 10:50pm
I've been on the BRP in the spring and it's absolutely fantastic scenery.  Some day I'd like to drive it in the fall to catch the colors.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>