Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How far would you drive your 2A?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2019 at 12:34am
Sorry , yeah the Blue Ridge Parkway. Its a perfect road for these rigs because it's all 45mph.You do have to be picky about when you ride it though, the fog gets really bad up there.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2019 at 6:59pm
Yes, you are CRAZY childress !

You happen to be infected with the "willys" disease of which there is No Cure !
_ _ _ other than always having one on-tap.   right !   hahaha

I always get a charge out of cplogger's remarks, what a goof-ball. :)

Flatfender47 has the right idea: take your hardware store with you !
   I have got to comment on his list of possible items to take with you.

Personally, I am kind of a loner, and travel mostly with the wife anymore.
We ran the Rubicon for 18-summers all total, and two of them in a '46 L134 with 32-inch Armstrong Tru-Tracs (that dates me).
   I faithfully carried most of the parts that "flatfender47' mentioned and more. I carried a spare battery in a plastic marine box just for un-planned welding repairs, and the helmut and a selection of 1/16" rods.
   I had many people ask me if I ran Lockers, and I said no.
   I didn't tell them I had over 300-lbs of spare parts on the floor-boards for traction. haha

There is a good thing about laying under the willys to study it looking for something dangling or cracked, if we lay there long enough, we may just be able to take a nice nap, to rest the brain like a "cold-boot" on a computer.
   We had a 6-hour drive on the interstate, and the only thing to slow the little '46 were the hills, but otherwise I would set the tack at 3,600 rpms and let that little filly sprint down the express-way. (wind-burn and all @ 112 degrees outside).   Go for the Gold !

The wife and kids and dogs and I, were coming back out of the Rubicon within a mile or two of Wentworth springs, west of the turn-off to go out through the big granite basin near the Loon Lake spillway, and we came upon a VW engine sitting on the ground !   WT* ?   how did that get there ? well, further on down the trail, (going downhill in this area), we came upon a VW Baja Bug in the trail minus the engine.    Hmm they came down too hard on a drop-off and sheared the engine right off !   what a booger. :-(
    And that can happen to us. I have not yet seen a transfer case sheared-off but have seen about everything else broken off of different rigs over the years.
   When we're crazy-infected with the willys disease, anything can happen.
Possible symptoms can be multiple-parts-purchases or more, or staying out on the jeep trail past curfew-hours.    hahaha   _ _ good luck right.

Hey, remember when ?
   In our younger years, we'd drive hundreds of miles for a girl.
   Nowadays, we drive hundreds of miles to buy willys parts.

Sure is Fun Craziness !   and good comradery.

Len

Edited by Greaser007 - 10 Mar. 2019 at 7:09pm
kchildress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kchildress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2019 at 10:36am
Originally posted by Greaser007 Greaser007 wrote:

There is a good thing about laying under the willys to study it looking for something dangling or cracked, if we lay there long enough, we may just be able to take a nice nap ...

Good stuff here, Len.  Love the stories!  Hilarious that you mention taking a nap - I did just that two nights ago!  I treated myself to a new creeper when I started the winter makeover (the 28-year old creeper had had enough).  So I'm under Flattie looking to route a cable and the 'ole eyes just went closed.  I had just enough time to see the pup sleeping by the heater so I just rolled with it. Two hours on that new creeper was good for the soul!  Thumbs Up
'46 2A #19122, AKA Flattie
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2019 at 4:05pm
garage creeper naps are good for the soul!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kchildress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2019 at 2:37pm
Looking back at this question, "how far would you drive your 2A?", almost makes me laugh!  Since my last post on this thread I've driven it nearly 1,500 miles with not a problem and several 4+ hour round trips.  

Much of my heavy winter maintenance involved resealing everything that held lubricant.  And I'll be damned if several of those newly-sealed joints didn't start leaking right out of the gate.  But believe it or not, after only re-tightening a few fasteners, the leaks simply ceased the more I drove it.  Awesome.

And after all this, there's really no reason to think I couldn't / wouldn't drive it to the end of the earth!

Here's a few pics along the way.  Hopefully the video's will link in okay ...

A vanity shot from my last trip before having my spare tire carrier welded up:

A fun little trip up to Elk Creek, VA.  Notice the Red Stripe bottle blends right in!   :)

And during that fun little trip up to Elk Creek I played around on some wooded trails and did a lot of creeping through fields and pastures.  I got bored with all that and went looking for a challenge.  And man, did I ever find it in all this muck!  Good thing I had those tow hooks welded to the bumpers and that pap's Massey Furguson was close by.  Thumbs Up

And there's my co-pilot, Otto.  Always ready to go!

And here's a few clips of sights and sounds all dear to our little hearts ...

northcoastsailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northcoastsailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2019 at 9:02pm
Drive these things. Some people on other forums seem to think they look better polished up and sitting in a garage. So far, my longest drive was 84 miles out to the coast and back. I've made numerous 40 mile trips into San Francisco. 

I've only broken down twice. Once was while pulling off the side of the road to let some traffic pass, I hit a very large/unexpected bump at relatively high speed. This must have flooded or done something with the carb, as I couldn't get it to restart. I eventually ran the battery out. It was on it's way out and wasn't holding enough charge, but I didn't know that at the time. When the tow truck arrived, I asked if he could try jumping me, and a few cranks later it fired up. 

Second time was also fuel related, and ran out of gas because A: the fuel gauge was inoperative and so I had to rely on the peak method, and B: the PO placed the fuel suction well off the bottom of the repro tank.

During my rebuild of the Fuel system, I think I will put in an electric fuel pump in parallel with the engine driven pump for emergencies. I might put a fuel bleeder in to bleed air from the line, or at least carry proper tools and a cup to bleed the fuel line into.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kchildress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2019 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by northcoastsailor northcoastsailor wrote:

... I think I will put in an electric fuel pump in parallel with the engine driven pump for emergencies. I might put a fuel bleeder in to bleed air from the line, or at least carry proper tools and a cup to bleed the fuel line into.

I've had this idea also but haven't put much thought into getting it done right.  

I bought my 2A back in October and there's a lot of history that I'm just not aware of.  One thing being why someone removed the mechanical fuel pump and installed an electric pump.  Luckily when I bought the Jeep that electric fuel pump failed on me right away (the silly thing looked ancient).  I replaced it with the same pump, a Facet Posi-Flow pump / 4 - 7 psi / 32 GPH.  I can't say whether or not this specific pump is over/under rated but it performs as I'd expect.

Having said that, the way the pump operates is frustrating at times.  At key-on the pump goes into action and sometimes that little piston is loud as hell!  If the fuel line from the pump, through the filter, and on to the carb is "full", the sound of the pump is fine.  You can hear it but no big deal there.  But if that fuel line is not "full" that little piston clacks like crazy and continues to clack until it senses appropriate back-pressure (those are my words).  I called Facet to ask about the volume of the clack and its just the way it is.  Pump works great but the clack can come off as a bad engine knock and I don't like that!

Long story short, I want to install a bleeder into that fuel circuit.  If anyone has suggestions I'm all ears.

Edited by kchildress - 11 Apr. 2019 at 3:55pm
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2019 at 4:17pm
Where is that pump mounted? Is that the fender well? Thats 99% of your problem right there. An electric fuel pump is a pusher it pushes fuel to the carb its not a suction devise like a mechanical pump. SO it should be mounted as close to the bottom of the tank as possible NOT as far away as possible. You should relocate that pump to the back of the Riser with the inlet and outlets down. Put a filter between the tank and the pump and then right before the carb.

You should also have an Oil pressure safety switch in the wiring to shut off the pump in case of a roll over or crash so if the carb float can not stop the flow of fuel and the key is on the pump does not keep pumping fuel into the engine compartment.

Here is a link to an Electric fuel pump circuit.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kchildress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2019 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

Where is that pump mounted? Is that the fender well? Thats 99% of your problem right there.

I just had a big DUH moment!!!  Yep - it on the inside of the driver's fender well and standing as vertical as cab be.  That's where it was mounted when I replaced it and never gave it a thought for placing it horizontal.

Consider it done.

:)
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2019 at 8:08pm
The pum[p should be mounted down by the tank not on the fender at all.

Here is how my pump is mounted.

Top of this photo is the bottom of the rear floor

This way the pump does not have to pull fuel only push it. Your pump is running so long trying to create a vacuum to pull fuel all the way up to the pump on the inner fender.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
redrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote redrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2019 at 8:40pm
I also run an electric pump, right on the frame just below the fuel tank.  Mine is a replacement tank and feeds from the top not the bottom but the pump will still draw fuel and runs quiet all the time.  I will look for a picture tonight.
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid.”
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2019 at 9:43pm
The Military Vehicles Preservation Association organizes convoys.  In 2009 an MVPA convoy drove the entire Lincoln Highway from Wash DC to San Francisco -- they are doing this one again this year to honor a 1919 Army trip.  I was able to do their 2012 Alaska Highway convoy in my MB.  It was about 4100 miles over a month, with about 1000 miles of gravel.  In 2017 I did Route 66 in an MVPA convoy, which went a little over 2000 miles.  Convoy cruise speed is about 30 mph but the jeeps are at the back and so we suffer the "slinky" problem where we might be down to 20 or up to 50 mph.  A day's distance typically runs 100-200 miles.

Us MB / GPW guys fight an oil migration problem with the T84 transmission that Willys resolved with the T-90.  Other than that, a jeep in good mechanical condition runs fine over long distances.  I started out carrying a ton of spare parts but don't do that much anymore.  Most on-road problems I've seen for the stock jeeps seem to involve ignition electrical issues.  A spare condenser and quality points are good to have.

To me, the biggest two issues are driver comfort (discussed already here) and safety.  I feel very vulnerable when I'm on the highway alone in my jeep.  My jeep is still mostly stock except for an overdrive and some LED stop/tail lights I made a couple of years ago.   I feel safer with the brighter taillights but there's always risk unless the jeep can run fast enough to stay with the traffic. 

Edited by tamnalan - 11 Apr. 2019 at 9:49pm
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kchildress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2019 at 1:40pm

Hold on there, buddy.  This blue thing looks nothing like your avatar!   :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kchildress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2019 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by tamnalan tamnalan wrote:

I feel very vulnerable when I'm on the highway alone in my jeep.

Man, I hear ya.  Now that's driving!  The only real issue I have, in terms of feeling safe, is when I'm on narrow bumpy backroads with oncoming traffic.  My shocks are excellent but the silly thing still bounces like an apple cart.  I'll let it idle down to pretty low speeds when this happens.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kchildress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2019 at 1:57pm
Otto's fix for April 11 ...

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2019 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by kchildress kchildress wrote:

Hold on there, buddy.  This blue thing looks nothing like your avatar!   :)

Ah this is true. Dads version of CHUG was the Red Orange I never liked it. So since it wasn't an original color or anything I felt little hesitation at changing it. My color is Kirker's Pacific Blue.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Chris Snyder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Snyder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2019 at 1:48am
Not quite apples to apples because mine has a 4.3 in it, but I purchased my 3b in Phoenix then drove it back to Dallas.  Took about 4 days on back roads.  We broke down twice (DAMN YOU POINTS!) and had a great time in the process.  One of the best road trips I have been on.  DO IT!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kchildress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 1:13pm
Little update on "How far would you drive ..."

I've spent the last week or so reconfiguring an old boat trailer to fit my needs and finally took it out yesterday for a maiden voyage.  Turns out 'ole Flattie tows like a champ!!  So, yeah, I'll be driving around a lot this summer looking like this!  

Looks like I found justification for a disk-brake upgrade this winter, or at least for the front axle.  Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>