Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Condenser bug bit me last night!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Condenser bug bit me last night!
    Posted: 10 Mar. 2019 at 8:43pm
We drove out to a meet-n-greet yesterday.. Left around 9 pm then a mile down the road, she just shut off...wife asked if we ran out of gas...again..
Nope, tank is full...got it on the trailer and got home. This morning she started right up like nothing wrong. New coil, wiring, points and condenser. All I can guess is the condenser is bad...

Edited by usmcpmi - 12 Mar. 2019 at 6:29pm
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2019 at 10:28pm
 Accel and Mallory as well as Bosch all offer high quality race grade condensers granted they run up to $17.00 on Amazon but as there are so many problems with the crap from the Local auto Parts Stores. It might be a worth while investment. Especially since a condenser can last for a number of tune ups. There really is nothing to wear out.

I know if I were still going to be running points I would look at the Accel or Mallory offerings.  Compared to a $2 Omix Ida or a $7.00 STD Products.

In the past I ran Accel Points and condensers in my 67 Chevelle 400+HP 327 which routinely reved over 7000rpm with narry a miss.  I would assume since their market is those same kinds of cars and drivers they have maintained the same performance level..

Just a thought

Edited by Mark W. - 11 Mar. 2019 at 1:30am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2019 at 12:35am
Thanks! I'm getting too old to push her up on a trailer anymore.
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2019 at 3:34am
Just for grins, try driving it around your neighbor hood until it quits. Then, when it dies, take the gas cap off. If it sucks in air when you do this, your vent in the cap is plugged. You can drive it home with the cap on, & fix the cap at home. No trailer needed.

If the cap removal does not suck air in, test both the coil & the condenser right away for high heat with the back of your hand. Bring your hand close to each one slowly, if you can touch them without scarring your hand, they are probably OK. They should be, at most, warm to the touch. You should be able to leave your hand on them without any pain.  

If either or both of them are sizzling hot, not just warm to the touch, then there is your problem. In either case, let it cool off & then drive it home. Replace components as necessary.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2019 at 6:18pm
Thank you for the suggestions. We had driven around quite a bit that day with no problems. Then went to a local watering hole for about 3 hours. We left around 9, started right up and drove about 1 mile and it quit. Acted like it was out of fuel. Tank was full. Outside temp was about 60*. The fuel lines are all insulated from the fuel pump to the carb. I doubt it was vapor lock... all the lines, filter, pump, carb and tank are new. Makes me lean toward electrical...
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2019 at 6:58pm
usmcpmi said: "I doubt it was vapor lock... all the lines, filter, pump, carb and tank are new. "

The cap, too?  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2019 at 3:05am
Yes Sir. New cap, rotor, wires and plugs. The new odometer shows 65 miles since I finished it last October. 
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2019 at 3:10am
There is a reason we save our old parts...
uncamonkey
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2019 at 3:16am
LOL I was referring to the gas tank cap.  BW

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2019 at 3:26am
Is there any chance there was any crud in that new tank you might have missed?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2019 at 4:26am
New gas cap! Roc, I did a vis  check on the tank and the in line filter is clear, so I can see there is not any trash on the filter. And it's full of fuel.
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2019 at 6:21am
Originally posted by usmcpmi usmcpmi wrote:

New gas cap!

As I suspected!  And did you check it as cpt logger suggested?  BW

usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2019 at 6:00pm
Bruce, I didn't think to check the cap at the time...i will look into it when I get home. At this point, I guess it could be anything. As for not throwing out the old parts, there really wasn't any usable parts to start with...
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2019 at 4:41am
   Mark,

How would we check the condenser ? Is there an easy check ?

You are not alone. My wife and I were in-line at the Co-Gen plant a few weeks back to dump-off brush trimmings following a snow, and had a heater-core fracture, and had to call a tow truck.   It cost the same for a tilt-bed as it would have to rent a U-haul auto transport. My wife just shakes her head. :)

I hope your issue is just a gas cap !

Len
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2019 at 7:43am
Len, I'm not sure what the mf would read on a new condenser. I'll check the next new one I get. Although, if it's the problem, a new one is pretty cheap. I will post what I find when I get back home.
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2019 at 11:16am
According to my notes, a 6v condenser should be .20 -.25mfd.  A 12v should be .25 - .28.  But while either will work, using one with the wrong rating could lead to faster point erosion.  I suspect the chinese condensers vary over the entire spectrum.  I'd be interested in hearing what new 6v condensers sold be vendors read. 
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2019 at 12:45pm
what king of meter would you use to read the mfd?
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2019 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by willyt willyt wrote:

what king of meter would you use to read the mfd?

A meter that checks capacitance.  A condenser is nothing more than a capacitor in a tin can.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>