Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MY '47 CJ-2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2019 at 2:29am
Had the chance to do more work on the new motor mount this last week.  Here's what's been done.

On the drivers side of the M38 motor mount plate, it has a piece of it that protrudes out, due to the later style fuel pump. I made a plate that goes around the protrusion so that the new motor mount bracket will fit snug up against the plate. 

Pic shows the main brackets I needed to make up. Basicly I used 1 3/4" square tubing and 1/4" x 2" x 7" piece of flat bar. The square tubing has a sleeve that's pressed through the front and butts up against the opposite inner wall for support.  Thus preventing dimpling if over tighten. The bracket is shaped to contuor the timing case cover and is notched so one can get a 3/4" wrench inside.

You can see the sleeve and the motor mount bracket on top of the frame rail. Had fun getting the frame rail bracket to sit level in all directions.

Rear side of Bracket.  You can see the spacer plate, how the bracket contours the timing case cover, and the notch for the bolt. 

Back side of barcket with the other piece welded up.

Brackets welded up and temporarly mounted in place.  The frame rail bracket also has  inner sleeves where the bolts go through the bracket and into frame. Side view.

Back side of the new mount.

Front side of new mount.  I need to finish welding the two brackets up. OOPS!LOL Top right corner of the two brackets.

All in all the new mount is butt ugly but is going to be plenty strong, easy to remove, and will give the Saginaw style steering shaft plenty of room.  Time for a little welding, painting, and install for goodSmile
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2019 at 2:56am
*Edit-Wrong thread. Confused

Edited by Freedom21 - 14 Apr. 2019 at 3:18pm
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2019 at 10:54pm
Finished up the drivers side motor mount today. 

Side view

Top view

Front view---fixed the oops weldWink

Before making this mod, I took trailer leveling jacks and a 4x4  and placed them accross the oil pan then raised the jacks up until  the 4x4 was just snug.  From there I took to many measurements to make sure everything stays within specs.  After finishing up the mod, all the specs are dead on.Big smile         This motor mount mod will greatly help with the upcoming Saginaw steering conversion.

StarA big thanks to the  those that helped out!Star           k 

Edited by jeepsterjim - 15 Apr. 2019 at 11:01pm
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2019 at 6:21pm
This week, I'm working on making up the steering box mounting plates.  I am using a manaul and P/S box to play with.  Luckily, I saved a jeepster commando P/S frame to box adapter to use for the Box bolt pattern.  Many of you know that 3 out of the 4 bolt holes from  a P/S box are the same as the three bolt manual or P/S box. Shocked So, I am going to make up a 4 bolt P/S box  mounting plate and use  a thre hole manual box on it.  When mounting, I will use a P/S box  and such which will give me the option of changing out manual steering to P/S.  Won't need to redo the mount.  Yes I like manual steering.Smile

I have made up front inner side frame rails  to help strengthen the frame.

Note:  I mentioned useing a Jeepster Commando steering box adapter for the bolt hole pattern.  It works great for that task.  HOWEVER, from my past experience with these adapters, They are junk!!  Please don't rely on them.  If they were safe, IMO, I would use one on my conversion.   I have replaced dozens of them for customers.

Jim

Edited by jeepsterjim - 18 Apr. 2019 at 6:24pm
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2019 at 3:19am
Picked up some trans parts today and found good and bad. 
 Would greatly appreciate your thoughts.

Picked up a T-90 trans that was pulled out of a 1966 CJ5 F134.  It also came with the bell housing.  

STRANGE....the case is for a side shift but it had a cane shift bolted to it. Bubba?
The good part is  the trans has the lower gear set. Trans was very clean inside and looking over the gears, they seem good.  

Notice the difference in the shift tower snout/cone.  Jeep must of made a change in the later years OR is this from ??? The cane is different too.

The shift rail end caps are different.  Wonder if a reverse light switch could be installed.

forks don't seem to good

Forks-2

These shift forks seem ok but I will need to see if they will inter-change with the bad ones.  There's a small difference between the two covers but I hope I can inter-change the parts to make one good unit.

Right after unbolting the bell housing, I picked it up and tripped over my dog.  NOT GOOD!  The bell housing cracked

Can this crack be welded?  

Also, is this the correct B-housing for the 91/4" clutch assembly?   

Also have been working on the manual saginaw steering.  Made up a plate to strengthen the frame rail.

Your help is needed.
Jim
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2019 at 3:12pm
Hello - The shifter top with arrow below appears to be from a T-84 which can be found in older military Jeeps (MB/GPW's).

- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2019 at 3:48pm
No offense but the top is certainly not T84. That top is for a M38 T90 which has the screw in plugs for shift rails and screw on top for shift cane.
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2019 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by TateC TateC wrote:

No offense but the top is certainly not T84. That top is for a M38 T90 which has the screw in plugs for shift rails and screw on top for shift cane.

No offense taken! EmbarrassedEmbarrassed Sorry about that jeepster..... I forgot the T84's are flat on top... Thanks for the correction! 
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2019 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by TateC TateC wrote:

Tate

Thanks for ID'ing the cover.  Seems the M38 may have had  a few improvements. The one shift fork looks worn to me.  Looking at it, it appears that Buibba weld it put a bead on it  and filed the fork in shape. Hopefully I can interchange the fork(s) . 

Would the B-housing be from a M38?   

Love how Bubba got a hold of this trans, LOL  gears are the T-90 C type, side shift case, M38 shift tower.

Jim
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2019 at 7:37pm
Found out the B-housing may of came from a M38a1---#804306.   Found a NOS for$200.00 Out of my budgetOuch   

Jim
CJ-2A - 81299

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2019 at 11:33pm
More junk and another "what the heck" Bubba moment.

Below are 4 t90 cases.  The top, left case has a odd number stamped into it.  I'm reffering to the number stamped beteen the shift linkage.  It is very hard to read but it reads---M126. Top right says 12-23-54. Bottom left says 10-3-46, And the bottom right one, directly to the right of the T90A-1 says ?-?-54  one had a lazy F stamped inside but not a Ford F.

The shift cover/tower number is....

A Bubba drills it moment.  Why would one drill a hole in the shift cane?  Guess I need a new/old shift caneOuch  Leary of welding it up....opinons???

Bubba welds it   Appears somone welded up a badly worn shift fork and filed it down.  Think I will find a new fork.

It amazes me what people do or use.  Makes life interestingLOL

Edited by jeepsterjim - 30 Apr. 2019 at 11:35pm
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 1:36am
A brazing rod would fix that hole pretty quick.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 2:02am
Originally posted by jeepsterjim jeepsterjim wrote:

It amazes me what people do or use. 

A majority of folks these days have lost sight of what it really means to have nothing...  and in certain circumstances two batteries and a coat hanger are not so much Bubba Embarrassed
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 2:26am
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

It amazes me what people do or use. 

A majority of folks these days have lost sight of what it really means to have nothing...  and in certain circumstances two batteries and a coat hanger are not so much Bubba Embarrassed

I Agree!  
Have used a battery and fence/bailing wire to weld stuff.

Raised and worked in the orchards before box stores, internet, and not living near town, we fixed  the equipment with what was on hand. Dad would often say, get it working and we will fix it after the harvest, NOTLOL.   My 2A is from the ranch and I have to laugh at how much bailing wire it still has on it.  
Jim
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 2:32am
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Would brazing it be strong enough?  I do have a wire feed welder.  The  metal around the hole is very thin. 
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 4:08am

Would brazing it be strong enough? 

What have you got to lose?

I personally would try it before I tried to wire weld it but that's just me.....I would do alot neater job that way.

Heat the shifter cane cherry red an inch or so surrounding the hole and stick a brazing rod to it.

(Just the way I would do it until somebody offered you up another cane.) I like brazing because it sort of forms itself.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 4:14am
Do that and if you still don't think it's strong enough slide a small piece of tubing over it and braze that.

Like soldering, the trick is getting the pieces HOT enough

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 4:26am

Would brazing it be strong enough? 

What have you got to lose?

I personally would try it before I tried to wire weld it but that's just me.....I would do alot neater job that way.

Heat the shifter cane cherry red an inch or so surrounding the hole and stick a brazing rod to it.

(Just the way I would do it until somebody offered you up another cane.) I like brazing because it sort of forms itself.

What bubba did---bubba can fix!  Going to give it a try.
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>