Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MY '47 CJ-2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 6:30am
   Jim,
   You'll have that new steering box in place before summer !

And nice work on the motor mount. If in the least, you can always fix it the right way after Harvest !   :)

Yep, jumping out of 2-nd gear on decal.   That could be shimming, but I would replace 2-nd gear, and the synchronizer assembly.
    After doing a VW bug transaxle the 2-nd time over because I tried a used 2-nd gear the first time, it still popped out. Then the 2-nd time apart, I bought a new 2-nd gear and the synchronizer-hub.
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 3:38am
Len
Think I should of said "picking" instead of harvest.  We had navel and valencia oranges, lemons, 3 varieties of avacados, pecans, and yucky cherimoyas.  So we had picking season year round.    The 2A had no restShocked. It only shows 42K miles on it but the motor had endless running hours on it since we left it running while picking up lug boxes, plowing, or changing sprinkler sets.  good times!

The motor was rebuilt or replaced before 1960,  
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
jeepdidwhat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepdidwhat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 10:24pm
My Dualmatic hubs and muffler

I have single lever hubs exactly like yours.  Do you know the history on these or who made them?  I did not find any manufacturer name markings.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 12:02am
Originally posted by jeepdidwhat jeepdidwhat wrote:

My Dualmatic hubs and muffler

I have single lever hubs exactly like yours.  Do you know the history on these or who made them?  I did not find any manufacturer name markings.

Dualamatics(sP)  strange hubs for sure. Made in mid-fiffties????  I think I posted a URL somewhere that gave thier history but I can't find it.. Unhappy 

Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
jeepdidwhat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepdidwhat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 2:07pm

Dualamatics(sP)  strange hubs for sure. Made in mid-fiffties????  I think I posted a URL somewhere that gave thier history but I can't find it.. Unhappy 

Do yours look like this inside?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 4:17pm
That looks like them.   
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 8:02pm
Got a phone call today from a guy wanting to know if I wanted parts from a 1960 CJ-5.  
I could not say no!  So off I went to see what he had.  Ended up with a F head motor that has 43K miles on it and is fairly complete.  12V Starter is rebuilt....still has rebuilders shinny ID tag on it, Generator  is 12V,  129 tooth flywheeland that is for the 8 1/2 inch plate...may drill it out for the 91/4 inch plate, a T-90 trans, and  a few other items as well.  

He has a open knucke D-30  diff and a D-44  diff that I may pick up.

Parts will make good trading material.

Jim
CJ-2A - 81299

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 1:48am
Hi guys

I am still thinking of using a F head motor until I can rebuild the L head correctly.  I do understand that if using the stock carb set up, I would need to cut a hole in the hood. Shocked Don't panic guys!

I have an after market spare hood so no harm to the 2A hood would happenClap.

Question:
How much higher does the F head over the L head sit?   I measuered my F head and L head heighth and came up with 2 inches.   Is ths correct?   

I have a 1971 Jeepster commando Hurst scoop that might look really cool.

Your input is needed

Thanks, Jim

Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 12:23am
If you cut the hood, will you still be able to fold down your windshield?  For me that would be unthinkable to not drop the windshield.  But that's just me.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 1:02am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

If you cut the hood, will you still be able to fold down your windshield?  For me that would be unthinkable to not drop the windshield.  But that's just me.

Thought about that too.  

Wondered if a 2" high scoop was installed and put taller hood/windshield blocks on, could the windshield lay down ok .  I don't have a CJ 2A/3A to test this idea out.   
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 4:31am
Originally posted by jeepsterjim jeepsterjim wrote:

Wondered if a 2" high scoop was installed and put taller hood/windshield blocks on, could the windshield lay down ok .

I think a scoop has to be mounted too far back on the hood and too close to the bottom of the w/s for the w/s to clear without some too-tall hood blocks.  At least, most of the ones I've seen look that way.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 3:35am
Picked up a Husky O.D that was rebuilt by Herm the O.D Guy today.  It has never been installed.  Being leary, I called Herm and he stated that the Husky and Warn are good units and how much does the person want for it.  Told him the price and Herm replied buy it, I did. 
This will be a great asset for the 2A.

Jim
CJ-2A - 81299

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2019 at 12:22am
Special delivery to my shopSmile

4-NOS Superlift 1" lift springs with bushings.Shocked

These should work great for my 2A

Jim
CJ-2A - 81299

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2019 at 2:18am
Ol' Unreliable wears a set of those springs.  Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2019 at 3:40am

Ol' Unreliable wears a set of those springs.  Thumbs Up

Mike

How have they worked for you?    

Would you put a military wrap on them?

I lucked out on obtaining these, and was able to trade Jeepster Commando parts for them.  A win win for him and me. 

Jim
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2019 at 9:01pm
Swapped parts for a D-30 narrow track front diff and a 20 rear diff today. Had to take both or nada

Will rebuild the 30 and find a home for the 20.  

Anyone have NOS 5:38 ring and pinion?  rebuild kit?   locker? for a D-30.

Jim
CJ-2A - 81299

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 1:46am

The springs are just a bit stiff when the Jeep's load is light, but with a little weight they're good enough for me. 

I don't know how you would put a military wrap on them.  I think they're strong enough to not need that anyway.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 2:08am

The springs are just a bit stiff when the Jeep's load is light, but with a little weight they're good enough for me. 

I don't know how you would put a military wrap on them.  I think they're strong enough to not need that anyway.

Thanks Mike,   I'm just glad to find them.  
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>