Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel leak question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teleboy444 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel leak question
    Posted: 18 Mar. 2019 at 6:05pm
Hello!

Hoping to tap into your experience here... I'm getting a slow leak at both the drain and the fuel line input under my tank. I'm going to drain the tank and tap the threads to clean them up, but when I reassemble I was hoping to use some sort of sealant if there is one that is appropriate.

My question: Is using sealant at the drain and fuel line input common practice? Do you all typically see leaks from the tank or is this potentially a bad idea?

Thanks for your help,
Brad Houston
Exeter, NH

Edited by Teleboy444 - 18 Mar. 2019 at 6:13pm
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2019 at 6:21pm
The fitting is a mechanical flare fitting so sealant is not appropriate for that application. If you look at the inverted flare on the tank side I bet your find that the brass distorted where it meets the flare on the fuel line. Most likely you'll need to solder in a new inverted flare fitting on the tank. A radiator repair shop can do this for you if you're not able to.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Teleboy444 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teleboy444 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2019 at 6:27pm
Hi Joe,

Thanks for that. One more thing to add to my what was shrinking but now seems to be growing again list. 
I'm assuming it's ok to use a sealant for the drain plug?

Brad

Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2019 at 6:37pm
Yes, you can use sealant on the tapered plug. Be sure you use a thread sealant that is rated for gasoline. Also, be sure to not get any inside the tank, so only apply a small amount to the male threads.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2019 at 7:37pm
An old refrigeration trick with flare fittings is to put a small dap of oil on the face of the fitting and the face of the flare. Helps the two to seal better.
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teleboy444 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2019 at 1:17pm
I'll definitely try that oil trick first. Not sure I have the necessary soldering skill for a new insert. It's a new fuel line so that could have something to do with the flare and fitting not lining up well.
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2019 at 2:28pm
I don't think it will be possible to tap either of  the threads successfully (inverted flare fitting is closed off with flare seat, drain is pipe thread so it's tapered) so these other suggestions are much better.

Once the flared fitting is grounded, that's as far as you can go.  I'd also suggest a close visual on the fuel line seat too.  See if there's any damage, i.e. crack or dent that would also prevent a seal.  The drain can be tightened and should seal as it will get tighter and tighter as you turn.  However, too much could strip. 

I now know there's such a thing as fuel rated sealant.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2019 at 3:19pm
I had a brake line that would not seat. The local hydraulic hose shop had a soft copper disk that inserted into the fitting and allowed the compression fitting to re-seat once it was tightened down.
Micah  

Edited by Steelyard Blues - 20 Mar. 2019 at 1:51am
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2019 at 3:55pm
The drain is a NPT I want to say its  1/4" but could be an 1/8" Hardware stores that have the Irwin Tap and Die display will carry smaller NPT taps if you need to tap it a little deeper to clean it up just don't go to much or the plug might not be long enough to seat before running out of taper.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
SteveBonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveBonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2019 at 12:42pm
My drain plug leaked too. Sealant fixed it.  Use make sure you use sealant rated for gasolene.  Tape will end up in your carb jets!
47 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teleboy444 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2019 at 10:26am
Micah, I just saw your message about the copper flare gasket! That might be just the ticket!

I borrowed some sealant for the plug from a mechanic friend of mine and will drain the gas this weekend. The drain plug is hardly "sweating" however so I'm mostly concerned about the fuel line connection. We shall see!
 Post Reply Post Reply