Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Ultimate Willys Hauler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Ultimate Willys Hauler
    Posted: 11 Nov. 2019 at 11:17pm
Great work on the bus. That is 100%, EXACTLY the idea I had 3 years ago for our retirement 'home', the only difference is we'd have living quarters in the front half of the bus with a Jeep in the back. This idea is what convinced my wife that buying an old Jeep was a good idea.
Someday I need to get the bus half of the idea going. Glad to see it can be done.

Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2019 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Nick,
These articles are awesome. I really enjoy your writing style. It's as if I were actually there. Smile
Thanks for including pics of my rusty old rock basher.

Thanks Stan!
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2019 at 4:36pm
Nick,
These articles are awesome. I really enjoy your writing style. It's as if I were actually there. Smile
Thanks for including pics of my rusty old rock basher.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2019 at 3:04pm
I read the news today, oh boy!

Grandpa's Jeep and The Submarine are featured on the home page of JeepWave. There's going to be an article entirely dedicated to Grandpa's Jeep & Bam Bam coming soon.

Each of these features have tons of great pictures. Those who've never had the opportunity to go out west should definitely check these out - who knew there are dinosaur tracks on the trails in Moab?

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2019 at 4:13am
It was great that we still had all that snow in July but we got almost no more moisture ever since.  Things are dangerously dry here now.  At least, that's here in Colorado Springs...
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2019 at 8:44pm
Part 1 of our trip video. I still have a bunch from Moab (sorry Jeff and Stan, I'm slacking). Some more articles will be posted on JeepWave soon.

Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2019 at 3:07pm
That thing is awesome.  Well done!
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2019 at 1:24pm
Keep in mind the GVW of that bus is only 30,000 and to run at that weight you will need a CDL. 26000 for a regular license.I drove school buses both for contract carriers like First Stundent and the largest dealer in the PNW for 5 years. As a private vehicle you will be subject to State scales. They also will require an air brake endorsement.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2019 at 11:27pm
You're going to be talking about this adventure for the rest of your lives!  Great job!
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2019 at 10:58pm
Sweet!!
Your awesome Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2019 at 1:26am
Two thumbs up!!! Thumbs UpThumbs Up
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2019 at 12:19am
Hey everyone, sorry for the lack of updates. Graduating from school, prepping for this trip, and work took 100% of my free time. I haven't even had time to edit video from the trip.

I'd love to write all about the bus here, but how about I link you to... Jeep's official website! I wrote a Navy Jeep article and off hand mentioned this trip to the editing team. One thing lead to another, and I ended up with an awesome opportunity to become a regular content contributor. This means I'll be writing articles for their website on a frequent basis. 

There's a school bus, cut in half, with a Willys Jeep sitting inside right on the front page of Jeep's website. I'm still wondering if this is real life.

Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2019 at 6:47pm
Awesome  project. 
 My dad is doing something similar with an older bus. 
 One concern he mentioned is getting too much weight to the back of the rear axle, which in turn takes the weight off the steering axle.
 Just wondered if you had thought of that in your calculations especially when hooking a trailer to the back of it with a heavy jeep on it, don’t want the tail to wag the dog.
I guess you could mount two Agri weighs to the front bumper Willys styleLOL

Keep up the good work.

1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2019 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by GJCJs GJCJs wrote:

Was waiting for someone more clever than me to chime in. My immediate thought is the seal on the bottom of a roll up garage door would work well and perhaps be budget friendly.

Additional thought, the bus needs a shakedown run before you depart to the west. Why not load the Sub in it and ride over to Aurora, OH for the Spring Reunion in mid-May? Surely someone will write you an excuse if it interferes with Finals.....
That's a great idea. Anything flexible rubber could be an easy way out.

I try to attend at least 1 Willys reunion a year, but my plate is too full this summer. We have to finish the LJ build, prep the bus, rebuild the 'Sub, completely rebuild my 6x6 racer, I'll be working full time... man we'll be lucky to not be working on the LJ all the way out to Colorado. 

The bus' test run will be the weekend before Colorado. I'm taking it to Ashtabula, OH for the 50th anniversary of 6x6 racing. Figured we can fit 4 machines inside.
GJCJs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GJCJs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2019 at 8:46pm
Nick-

Was waiting for someone more clever than me to chime in. My immediate thought is the seal on the bottom of a roll up garage door would work well and perhaps be budget friendly.

Will be following this build with interest as well!

Additional thought, the bus needs a shakedown run before you depart to the west. Why not load the Sub in it and ride over to Aurora, OH for the Spring Reunion in mid-May? Surely someone will write you an excuse if it interferes with Finals.....

Greg
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2019 at 11:54pm
Thanks guys! I think we'll have room for a mobile TurboTax station in the bus.

I am open to suggestions on how to seal that rear door back up. I'm thinking a piece of weather strip that gets pressed between the cut sections.
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2019 at 5:34pm
Nick has certainly studied the financial aspect and the dollars make sense (pun intended). Nick will you do my taxes next year??
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
greenlakesgary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlakesgary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2019 at 5:22pm
Awesome!
Please show us in another video how you are making the rear doorway. This trip will be epic!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>