Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do to your jeep today April 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What did you do to your jeep today April 2019
    Posted: 01 Apr. 2019 at 1:32pm
A new month is here and it is just about Jeep season in the northern climate What did you do to your Jeep today?

Edited by redrunner - 01 Apr. 2019 at 3:05pm
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid.”
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2019 at 1:37pm
Been working on my jeep getting it ready for my Florida fishing trip, now just to test it out locally first

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

jaredharley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaredharley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2019 at 5:03pm
I mocked up a mount for the alternator to see if I could get it all to fit together (I don't have accessory mount holes in the header, so I had to reuse the holes in the exhaust header where the generator used to be):

Looking good!

Alternator and radiator in place (too bad the radiator isn't staying - I need a model with the inlet and outlet both on the passenger side)

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2019 at 5:54pm
Is the alternator mount right on the exhaust manifold?, its hard to tell.  If it is, I'd be concerned about the 700+ degree manifold heat being conducted to the alternator. 
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
jaredharley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaredharley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2019 at 7:11pm
This is a not-so-great picture of where the mount is - you can see the spark plug/wire for cylinder 1 below. This is where the 12v generator was mounted when I got the jeep.

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2019 at 7:21pm
That does seem like a pretty hot location. I've never seen one bolted directly to an exhaust manifold. But maybe I live under a rock Smile
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2019 at 7:40pm
  That's where GM mounted the generator, and later, the alternator. If I had known that you needed one, I could have let you have an original bracket. The one you built is similar to the GM bracket, and similar to the ones we used to buy or build to use with headers. There's lots of "cool" air there, it's right behind the fan.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Moonrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2019 at 8:12pm
Jeep and I celebrated the arrival of it's title!  All three intact serial ID plates now match the numbers on the official state paperwork....!     I couldn't convince the inspector to word the title quite the way I wanted but hey....the little bear is now almost street legal.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2019 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by Moonrunner Moonrunner wrote:

Jeep and I celebrated the arrival of it's title!  All three intact serial ID plates now match the numbers on the official state paperwork....!     I couldn't convince the inspector to word the title quite the way I wanted but hey....the little bear is now almost street legal.

Good to see you got Little Bear titled finally. In Kansas, the inspectors vary in what they will do or not do; kind of like the Kansas weather varies from one minute to the next. Good luck on getting it on the street and I hope to meet you some day on some Kansas highway.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Moonrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2019 at 10:38pm
Thank you!  I can't call this one 'Little Bear' tho since that was what my kids called the '48 2a we had 30 years ago. It was the 'one that got away' when 'life' intervened and we needed the down payment on the house. 

Little Bear was pulled back home from Denver when we moved here in 1987 by 'Big Bear'.....a bored-out 401 powered '77 Cherokee Chief. That Chief, even pulling the '48, would pass everything on the road...except a gas station.

This one needs loads of work to measure up to it's predecessor but nothing time and money can't accomplish. I would love to have my youngest grandson learn to drive with it. He's 11 yoa so I have a little time yet. Just maybe it would get his mind off Porsches, BMWs and Corvettes for a little while!

Thanks again for the support and do hope to see you somewhere on the road someday!
redrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2019 at 2:37am
I started to work on a disk emergency brake set up for my Jeep.
SteveBonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveBonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2019 at 3:22am
I decided to dump the fluids on my 47.  A little scary...
About a pint of slimy rusty brown stuff came out of the transmission and about 2 pints of what looked like rust coloured  metallic latex paint came out of the front axle.  Probably should have checked them a little sooner!
47 CJ2A
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2019 at 3:27am
Well it was actually yesterday. I took my new carburetor off and cleaned it out. Ran great when I put it on. Then it wouldn’t idle anymore. Put a filter in the fuel line when I put it back on. Seems to be ok again.
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2019 at 3:51am
I got started replacing the springs on the M38 today.  One done three to go.
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2019 at 4:49am
Originally posted by SteveBonny SteveBonny wrote:

I decided to dump the fluids on my 47.  A little scary...
About a pint of slimy rusty brown stuff came out of the transmission and about 2 pints of what looked like rust coloured  metallic latex paint came out of the front axle.  Probably should have checked them a little sooner!

Yikes!  Your Jeep will sure appreciate it.   Hopefully you will do same with rear.  Smile
SteveBonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveBonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2019 at 6:31pm
Yeah I did check the rear, it was fine, looked like fairly new oil and a least a couple of pints came out.  I had already dumped engine oil and coolant as soon as I got the jeep.   I just went through and found all the grease points.   That was kinda interesting as well.   A few grease nipples were missing, a couple were locked up solid but my favorite was one of the rear spring shackles which had about 1/2 inch play :)

The more I look the more fun I have :)

47 CJ2A
redrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2019 at 6:55pm
This morning I got the main shaft put back in a transfer case for the next build coming up. 
I also found some extra brake disks to use with the disk emergency brake I am putting together.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2019 at 1:47am
Touching up paint after color sanding. Which of course means I had to make a trip into Salem to buy a new airbrush after dropping the one I took out of the package this morning. And then half way through the job dropped on the floor ruining the siphon nozzle.

I bought a Harbor Freight Air brush fancier then the one I had. Took a while to figure it out but it does the job.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>