Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Random Meetings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Random Meetings
    Posted: 05 Apr. 2019 at 8:57pm
Last night I was on my way home from work driving the same route I've driven for nearly 10 years. about 12 miles from home a CJ2A with the hood up parked in front of a shop building caught my attention. I've never seen this Jeep there before. There was an older gentleman out working on it. So I did like most any of us would do... I turned around to go talk to the guy.

I pulled in his drive and got out of the car and got an instant smile from him when the first words out of my mouth were, "A man after my own heart". I introduced myself to him with a handshake and told him I too have an old Willys.

My new friend has owned the Jeep for nearly 30 years. He is 84 years old and his eyesight has gotten real bad over the last few years. He told me he couldn’t drive out on the road anymore but his wife still lets him drive the old Jeep around out in front of his shop in a space about the size of a football field.

After visiting with him for nearly an hour my wife called asking where I was. I explained to her that I had seen an old Willys so I had to stop. She then informed me that I am nuts and if I don't get home soon I will be on my own for supper.

So I wrapped up my conversation with the gentleman and headed home. I am going to try to stop by every so often and check in on him now. I think I will even drive my Jeep over and offer to take him out for a ride from time to time.

I would like to hear your stories on random meetings and if they've turned into friendships. Below are some pictures I took of his 1946 Willys Jeep.

Edited by AKoller - 05 Apr. 2019 at 9:54pm
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2019 at 9:55pm
To a couple of fellow Kansans: You are both men "after my own heart".

Out in the "flatlands" of Kansas there aren't very many of us "flatfender" drivers. Glad you stopped for that talk and shared with us! Thank you...

Hope to meet you and others from Missouri, Kansas, and Arkansas at Rush Springs Ranch the 27th of April.

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 05 Apr. 2019 at 9:58pm
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2019 at 11:04pm
I don't have any pics - but I have a story. 

We had just bought the house I'm in now. After a week or so, I brought the Jeep home from the old house. Due to setting up the garage, I left it on the trailer overnight. Back then the Jeep was pretty mild. Skinny Swampers, OD paint, cage and winch. 

As I was backing off the trailer I saw a Jeep coming around the circle. As it got closer.....skinny Swampers, OD paint, cage and winch. Other than wheels the Jeep was identical. 

The fella stepped out of the Jeep, opened the cooler, grabbed two cold ones and said "I'm Mike" We talked for a solid two hours. In that two hours I talked him into going to Paragon Park the next weekend. Complete stranger. Still one of the best 4 Wheeling trips I've ever had. 

To make a long story short - he lived six houses away on the other side of the circle. My house is #88, his #44. We've been friends ever since - near 20 years now! Go figure! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2019 at 12:53am
I've been on the receiving end of a similar visit... out in the driveway fiddling with something on the 2a, truck goes by...the sound of air brakes and tires sliding.  Beep beep beep beep... guy leaves the rig in the street and heads up the driveway.  We must've talked 45 minutes before he had to get back to work.  Been friends since, couple years now.  

Part of my social 2a ride just last weekend was three hours parked in his driveway, talking jeeps an sippin suds.
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2019 at 1:58am
I know of a few other Willys in town. There was one more but the one guy I stopped by to talk to has since sold off his 47 it was a survivor with a 134F. One of the others I have known the owner since we were kids His dad was for a time My dads apprentice and we socialized together in the later 60's and 70's his older sister was in my class at high school. He has a survivor grade running driving 43 GPW that is amazingly not to messed up. He rarely drives it he also has an 81 jeep what ever that would be. then there is a guy from my class in high school that has a Willys Pickup not sure of the year but its stock he also has at least 2 other pickups both in what I would call parts or barn find condition. And there is an FC-170 I think out behind a guys place who is obviously way more into the half dozen Scouts around his place then the FC. I have also seen a real nice 46 CJ-2A floor shift Dk Green He was parked in a restaurant parking lot we were going into. I wanted to try to track him down wife wasn't down with it. It was gone by the time we came out. Not sure if it was a local or a visitor. And there is one rumored to be in a zillion pieces in a garage some where near where the 47 that got sold was located. Never found out where.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2019 at 3:14am
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

Out in the "flatlands" of Kansas there aren't very many of us "flatfender" drivers.

But there IS a "JEEP ROAD"! Big smile  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2019 at 3:38am

Out in the "flatlands" of Kansas there aren't very many of us "flatfender" drivers. Glad you stopped for that talk and shared with us! Thank you...

Hope to meet you and others from Missouri, Kansas, and Arkansas at Rush Springs Ranch the 27th of April.

I am sure looking forward to Rush Springs at the end of the month. Having the opportunity to meet more of you fine flat fender owners.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2019 at 3:42am
That's not a "random" meeting, though.  LOL
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2019 at 3:48am
Some great stories here!
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2019 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Out in the "flatlands" of Kansas there aren't very many of us "flatfender" drivers.

Yes, there is...In Dickinson County near Abilene...

No special significance, just a name that the county commission picked out that happened to start with "J" for the name of the road. Kansas several years ago required the counties to name roads for the 911 emergency services locator. The naming and scheme was left to the county. Most counties picked names using the scheme of starting at the west edge of the county or the south edge and named them alphabetically starting with a name beginning with "A" and progressing East or North. Jeep Road happens to be the 10th road East of the west county line. The roads running in the other direction usually use a numbering scheme.

Driving along I-70 in Dickinson County one can see at Exit 277 a "Jeep Road" sign.

I-70 is the main highway corridor through Kansas. If you need to get through Kansas fast, that is the way most people do it. If you really don't care how fast you drive and have the time, take the US or "K" highways and really see some of Kansas the way it was meant to be seen. Small town Kansas is a whole 'nother world.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2019 at 2:42am

Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Yes, there is...In Dickinson County near Abilene...

Driving along I-70 in Dickinson County one can see at Exit 277 a "Jeep Road" sign.

No special significance, just a name that the county commission picked out that happened to start with "J" for the name of the road.

Thanks for that info, I always wondered how that came about. Clap  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2019 at 3:56am
Last time I drove back to Ohio, I got off I-70 at Jeep Road and took a quick tour.  After not seeing any Jeeps, I decided there had to be some other explanation for the name of the road.  Now I know that explanation.  Thanks.  Smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply