Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1945 CJ2A Engine/Frame number question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1945 CJ2A Engine/Frame number question
    Posted: 08 Apr. 2019 at 4:39am
Hi,

I've got a line on a 1945 CJ2A that I think has the original engine in it, but wanted to see what others think. The chassis is #11662 and the engine is stamped CJ - 2A 12194-B on the boss behind the oil filter. From what I've read, the engine number on the later '45s could be up to 10 percent higher than the body number, so I'm thinking this block is original to the vehicle. The head is ribbed, so I'm thinking that needs to be replaced to bring it back to original. Also, while I'm on the topic of numbers, the tailgate is stamped 1595. I don't know what the front gusset is, but am I correct in think the tailgate is original to the vehicle?

Thanks,

John

Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2019 at 4:55am
Sounds like about the right offset. I would say original.
19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2019 at 3:30am
Thank you for your response.
EMyers View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMyers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2019 at 3:58am
Sounds cool. Post some pics if you can. 
Looks to be the right engine based on what's been shared on this list.... http://cj-2a.com/parts_list/CJ2A_data.php
You can submit your numbers as well if you care too. 

CJ2A 18450

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/46-cj2a-18450_topic41246_page1.html

19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2019 at 4:39am
If I end up buying it, I'll start an album and will post photos of the vehicle as found and then any progress I make on it.

EMyers View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMyers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2019 at 4:52am
Good luck!
CJ2A 18450

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/46-cj2a-18450_topic41246_page1.html

19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2019 at 4:50pm
Okay, I'm pulling the trigger on this one. I put a deposit on it and will see it in-person in early June. If it's as good in reality as it appears in the photos, I'll transport it to my brother's place in Colorado until I can bring it back East at some point in the future.

Here are a few images the seller sent me:

(Something seems to be up with Surfacezero.com/G503 not allowing users to create new albums. I'll need to check for a new place to base images once I get going on this project.)

My immediate plan is to go through all the loose parts and try to put them back on the vehicle so it's complete for storage. I'll also document the current state of the body and get casting dates from the block, transmission and transfer case. I suspect the transmission will need to be replaced entirely, but perhaps the side shifters are buried under the heavy layer of grease.

For sure I know I'll be seeking these items:

Column shift assembly
Floor plate to cover the transmission
Early steering wheel
Correct cylinder head
Drawbar assembly
Horn and bracket (presuming firewall mounted, Swartz or Sparton, subject to more research)
Top bows

Once I have a full accounting, I'll reach out to see about availability.

Sincerely,

John

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2019 at 6:12pm
Congrats on your soon to be new project.  There is a group of us in the Fredericksburg area.  If you are not too far away and are interested, you are welcome to join up with us. We have a facebook group; Fredericksburg Flat Fender Club.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2019 at 6:50pm
Thanks for your note. I'll definitely check out your Facebook group.

John
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2019 at 8:13pm
The sheet metal looks to be in really good condition.  Thank you Texas desert!  

Congratulations on a nice score.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2019 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

The sheet metal looks to be in really good condition.  Thank you Texas desert!  

Congratulations on a nice score.

X2
Congrats!
1945 CJ2A #10536
1948 CJ2A #176528 "Elmer"
1948 CJ2A #155970 "Gray Mule"
1948 CJ2A #155365 "Old Yeller" (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856
19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2019 at 8:45pm
I grew up in New England and am used to working on rusty vehicles, but 11 years of living in So Cal exposed me to dry-climate metal. I made a promise to myself that if I got back into restorations I'd try to get a Western vehicle. While the expense of hauling it back East is going to be higher than buying locally, I'm hoping that the time and materials I save on the bodywork will compensate a bit. Also, I like the idea of having an original tub instead of a replacement.

All that said, I've yet to view it in person, so we'll see if the rubber meets the road in a few weeks.

John
19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 4:06am
Just a few weeks until I head out to Texas to check this out (and if all goes as planned) take it up to Colorado. Really looking forward to seeing it in person.

Once I have the chance to inspect it and do an inventory for missing parts, I know I'll have a bunch of questions for the group, but here's one I'm thinking of now. My GPW has thumbscrews on the windshield pivots and I was wondering if these early '45 vehicles did as well? In my pile of random parts I have both a set of thumbscrew style pivot bolts and a set with a regular hex head. Is either correct?

Thanks,

John
Tsip 46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tsip 46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 7:24pm

I believe "thumbscrews

I believe that "thumbscrews" were used at the windshield pivots, just like the military jeeps.

A friend in the market is better than money in the purse.
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 7:46pm
I wish you the best on purchasing this awesome project! In your list of items needed you mention "drawbar assembly". I'm not an expert by any means, but I recall reading VEC's did not have a drawbar?? Something may have been different with the back bumper?? Perhaps someone can chime in... Lots of little details make-up the 45's, I have not seen a combined list of specific/unique features, that would be helpful. 
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
 Post Reply Post Reply