Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Price/Availability of 1945 CJ2A Parts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Price/Availability of 1945 CJ2A Parts
    Posted: 10 Apr. 2019 at 3:28am
Hi,

I'm looking at a 1945 CJ2A. On the plus side, it's fairly intact and is in a dry climate so it has much less rust than I'm used to seeing in the East. It is, however, missing some parts that I'll need to track down if I buy it and want to bring it back to original condition. 

I've been following this board for a while, so I have a general sense that many of the following items are hard to come by. Now that I'm actually considering getting this vehicle, I thought I'd try to get a better sense for prices and availability. Any responses on cost and sources for these parts would be much appreciated.

Column shift assembly, from the arm down to the linkages on the transmission. (I'm awaiting word as to whether the transmission is the original side shifter that someone put a top shift cane on or if the whole unit was changed out. Interestingly, almost all the vehicles I've seen with the column shift removed, the part that's at the top of the steering column usually remains. The fact that that is missing and the steering wheel is not the late-war Willys/GPW style, makes me wonder if someone removed the entire steering column.)

Floor plate to cover the transmission.

Steering wheel. I'm assuming these are interchangeable with late-war Willys steering wheels. Is that correct?

Cylinder head. (Date to be determined once I see the casting number on the block. The current head, however, has ribs, so I know it's not correct.)

Drawbar for rear tow hitch and other accessories. 

Solid rims. I know these are very scarce. I actually have three questions about these rims. From what I've read, it's not 100 percent sure that all the early vehicles had them. The current rims on the vehicle have slots like a later jeep. Is it possible these were original to the jeep in 1945? The second question is what is the going price for an original solid rim in road-worthy shape? The third question is if anyone is making high-quality reproductions of the solid rims?

Horn and bracket to attach it to the firewall.

Rear view mirror and arm that attaches it to the driver's side exterior.

Vacuum wiper motor.

Top bows (complete assembly, including the two brackets that clamp to the inside of the windshield.)

My thanks in advance for your time and responses.

Sincerely,

John
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2019 at 5:31am
Originally posted by 19Cargo42 19Cargo42 wrote:

Cylinder head. (Date to be determined once I see the casting number on the block. The current head, however, has ribs, so I know it's not correct.)

I had always read that late-war heads had the ribs so the early CJs had the ribs too.  Of course, I read that way pre-internet, so I need to see what the definitive truth is.  If there is such a thing in MB-to-CJ transition world...  Smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2019 at 1:43pm
Pictures?  Correct all depends on serial number and what was correct for that moment it seams.  Lots of changes in the first 12 to 18 months of production from what I have read.  There are experts on the 1945 here, but they will need numbers and photos.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2019 at 2:10pm
Thanks for your note. I'll post some shots in the next day or two. The chassis is #11662 and the engine is CJ - @A 12194-B. I would love to find out that this head is original as I would have one less part to track down. For reference, here's a photo of various Willys heads that I found online: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10453
Frank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2019 at 2:12pm
John,

If you scroll down in the research topic column, and look at the topic bumper holes etal, you will see my 45 2A in a group of photos in that thread.

Hope that will be of some help to your questions,

Frank
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2019 at 3:32pm
John,
All the items on your list are not particularly hard to find with exception to an original side mirror and arm. Fortunately there is a decent repro on the market you can use till you find an original.
Here's a few notes about 45 and early 46 2A parts.
1)  The Cylinder head should be non-ribbed.
2)  The 45 draw bar is a little different for the early side exhaust. It is not scalloped to clear the rear exhaust like the later jeeps. If you have trouble locating one, you could always fill in a later style.
3) yes, steering wheel is interchangeable with war (MB) wheel, but is black.

Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2019 at 4:19pm
Thanks for all that info, Joe. Great to hear from you.

If I get this, I'll post more photos and info.

John
19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2019 at 2:29pm
Thanks for your post, Frank. I'll definitely check that out.

John
EMyers View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMyers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2019 at 3:57pm
The cylinder head should be smooth with casting # 640161 

This link shows head styles over years and models, however it does not show the smooth one for yours. 

It should look like this 

Edit: this is a good post too. Read what Fred Coldwell says on page 2. He wrote a great book on pre-production civilian jeeps. 

Edited by EMyers - 11 Apr. 2019 at 4:03pm
CJ2A 18450

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/46-cj2a-18450_topic41246_page1.html

19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2019 at 6:31pm
Excellent info. Thank you.
swampman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swampman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2019 at 2:29pm
I have a column shift trans , column and linkage I could be convinced to part with if it were going to good use.
CJ2A 1948
YJ sbc fi 37 pit bulls 1987
Jt Rubi 2020
19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2019 at 4:42am
Thanks for your note. I sent you a PM.

John
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2019 at 5:34pm
Emyers:

how do I decipher the 6-24 casting number on that head photo ?
   what is it telling us ?

thank you
19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2019 at 8:05pm
June 24. I'm new to Willys heads, so I'm not clear on whether this particular head is 1945 or 1946, but here's an extract that provides some context:

Early CJ-2A jeeps used nonribbed smooth 640161 cylinder heads which were "civilian" cylinder heads never used on the production model MB during WW II. The earliest 640161 cylinder heads had no ribs and were smooth topped like the MB 639660 and 639660C cylinder heads. The 640161 smooth cylinder heads were first used on the twenty preproduction model CJ-2 jeeps built in in Spring 1945. The 640161 unribbed cylinder head continued to be used on the production model CJ-2A civilian jeep for about one year (but much later CJ-2A jeeps having "buy-back" military engines installed used the military 639660C MB cylinder head). 
EMyers View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMyers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2019 at 9:37pm
Greaser I am not an expert by any means. I just used what I found here and G503.com regarding the right head for my Jeep. I never really found a definitive answer on dating them, but if you search you’ll find a lot of discussion about it that gets you close. 

Another good source to learn from is the Data Page....http://cj-2a.com/parts_list/CJ2A_data.php
Look and the cylinder head column. 
CJ2A 18450

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/46-cj2a-18450_topic41246_page1.html

19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2019 at 2:33am
And my apologies if my answer seemed a bit abrupt. I am also new to Willys products and am assuming the 6 is the month and the 24 is the day. If that is not the case, I am happy to learn more.

John
 Post Reply Post Reply