Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weather Covers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kchildress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weather Covers
    Posted: 11 Apr. 2019 at 4:52pm
I've found several old discussions about weather covers but all the web links in those threads seem to be dead.  Has anyone found a solution like this for a CJ2 / CJ3?

This photo is the profile I need when my top is removed.  I wonder if one just purchases this and adds on elastic straps as needed?

'46 2A #19122, AKA Flattie
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2019 at 5:55pm
I found a side by side atv cover at menards for less than $50 that works for me.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Grey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2019 at 1:50pm
I use a treated canvas tarp.  I used to have one that fits perfectly when the windshield is down.  Then I found a hard top so i got a larger one.  4 bungee cords and done.  Olive drab of course
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2019 at 3:37pm
I remember seeing one at a Reunion.  I had to go back and find it.

It was at the Hudson, OH Spring Reunion, May 2013.  I didn't talk with the owner but maybe someone recognizes the jeep.  The name on the cover says, "Rain Gear" by www.jeepcovers.com.

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
kchildress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kchildress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2019 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by Rus Curtis Rus Curtis wrote:

The name on the cover says, "Rain Gear" by www.jeepcovers.com.

Excellent!   Their website only goes back as far as CJ5.  I've kept looking and I'm beginning to think that's the route I'll have to take.  I do have a Bestop TigerTop so I've got a number of body snaps already installed.  Maybe I could take a top like this to an upolsterer and have snaps added to match what's on the body. And maybe a few extra provisions for bungees.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2019 at 7:16pm
As far as that style cover goes I'd be real surprised if a CJ5 cover wouldn't work just fine. The main tub is going to be the same width the only real difference being where the flatty tub angles in where the 5 goes straight on to the cowl.

It may fit a little loose around the narrower flatty windshield but should tie down just fine.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2019 at 8:53pm
Russ,
Thanks for posting the link.  That's a pretty slick option. 
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2019 at 12:34am
Originally posted by Rus Curtis Rus Curtis wrote:

I remember seeing one at a Reunion.  I had to go back and find it.

It was at the Hudson, OH Spring Reunion, May 2013.  I didn't talk with the owner but maybe someone recognizes the jeep.  The name on the cover says, "Rain Gear" by www.jeepcovers.com.

I’m pretty sure this is Ron D.’s jeep.  He is Willytj here on the forum.
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kchildress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2019 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

As far as that style cover goes I'd be real surprised if a CJ5 cover wouldn't work just fine. 

And that's the conclusion I've come to, also.  I'm seeing a couple made of canvas that look nice.  I'd never researched installing metal grommets and snaps into canvas but looks simple enough to make a nice fit. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kchildress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 1:04pm
Good morning, all.  I finally ordered a trail cover for the Willys - the same Bestop cover shown in the original posting.  Thought ya'll might like to see how a cover advertised for a CJ7 fits on a 2A.  

I was happy to find the rear of the cover has 3 elastic straps - one that goes around the spare tire and two more that I looped onto the rear bumper.  This is a decent fit as is but needs slight modification to be able to cinch it down tight.  You can see two straps hooked to the tub at the passenger's step (same on driver side).  The sides of the cover are a couple inches too long for the 2A and as you see it, both straps are pulled down as far as they'll go.  I do intend to install snaps into the cover to match those already on the body for my Bestop TigerTop. That should make it as custom-fit for my vehicle as possible.

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 2:42pm
This is a cover I sewed a few Saturdays ago for a friends Jeep.  It is made from a heavy vinyl with reinforcing scrim.  The four corners have double velcro pocket type closures so it can be folded flat or the sides can be opened without removing the cover from the Jeep.  It was designed to be used for outside storage over his soft top, hard top or no top (as long as he puts up the bows).  Took about 10 hours to complete.  (Note the 1946 with the plow in the background covered with a canvas tarp)

Edited by Stev - 08 May 2019 at 2:50pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Johnnygeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnnygeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 6:54pm
Hello,
My neighbor does custom boat covers, mostly.  Folks park their boat in his driveway for a couple days and he custom measures and makes it right there.  He will make custom covers for just about anything you can bring him. You might try looking for someone in your area that does this.
 Post Reply Post Reply