Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

value of old willys engine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newtojeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: value of old willys engine
    Posted: 13 Apr. 2019 at 1:25am
Hello, I am new to this forum and new to jeeps in general. i recently acquired a 1948? jeep cj-2a serial #207301. It appears to have original engine in it. The jeep is too far gone to restore and i was going to use what was left as yard art. Is there any value to engine and drive train? Would I have to remove to sell it? Who might I contact that would be interested in it? Thanks for any help. I live in Boone, NC.
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2019 at 2:11am
I guess it depends on the engine. Does it run? Did you hear it run? Does it smoke? If it doesn’t run does the crank rotate? Are there cracks in the block? Lots of guys looking for a good engine or an engine that is rebuildable. You would be better off taking the engine out if you want to sell it. Better yet just sell the whole kit and kaboodle. There are lots of good parts to be salvaged from a rotten parts Jeep. Yard Art? A rusty POS? My vote would be to unload the whole thing, less headaches for you.
Since you’re new to all this why not put a few more photos up of what you have. EVERYONE here will be glad to tell you what you have and who knows, you might find you have something more than you think you have.
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2019 at 2:12am
Old jeeps are never too far gone to restore.  Might take a lot of work and $ and new parts but...
Spend some time on this site & you'll be amazed of what guys bring back to life.
newtojeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newtojeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2019 at 3:31am
here's a pic of the jeep. having a hard time figuring how to download more than one pic at a time. I appreciate your interest though.
swampman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swampman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2019 at 4:33am
Personally if the numbers match Id restore it . Even if I only started with the data plates and an engine block .
CJ2A 1948
YJ sbc fi 37 pit bulls 1987
Jt Rubi 2020
newtojeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newtojeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2019 at 4:42am
Forgive my ignorance. Where wood i look for matching numbers?
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2019 at 11:30am
Ok....it’s a turd. There still are a lot of good parts there. If you’re serious about getting into a Willy’s I would look for a better vehicle. If  you can get something with a good frame and running gear you can always get a body kit. If that one has a good frame you would be in business. It all depends on your budget. 
Take a look at your engine number, it should be on a boss just behind the water pump, that number, along with your serial number and body tag will tell you if everything matches. Right now you’re 2 for 3 on numbers. Matching numbers in the Willy’s world is more of an estimate rather than an exact science. If your numbers are “in the range” of what your Jeep should have you will be a “match”.
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2019 at 2:14pm
Welcome from another NC person. I live near Charlotte. There are always some parts you can sell off even a complete junk jeep  Is the engine free or locked up? Do you have a title?
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2019 at 2:49pm
Gotta go with Dave on this one, JMHO
3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2019 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by damar2yxr damar2yxr wrote:

Ok....it’s a turd. There still are a lot of good parts there. If you’re serious about getting into a Willy’s I would look for a better vehicle. If  you can get something with a good frame and running gear you can always get a body kit. If that one has a good frame you would be in business. It all depends on your budget. 
Take a look at your engine number, it should be on a boss just behind the water pump, that number, along with your serial number and body tag will tell you if everything matches. Right now you’re 2 for 3 on numbers. Matching numbers in the Willy’s world is more of an estimate rather than an exact science. If your numbers are “in the range” of what your Jeep should have you will be a “match”.

X3
It does however appear to have a good deal of salvageable parts. I am amazed that the windshield is still in tact considering the rest of the JEEP looks like it was stored in the bottom of an operating stone quarry for 50 years or so. I would keep it for parts and locate one in a little better condition to start. IMHO
1945 CJ2A #10536
1948 CJ2A #176528 "Elmer"
1948 CJ2A #155970 "Gray Mule"
1948 CJ2A #155365 "Old Yeller" (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856
newtojeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newtojeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2019 at 4:49pm
Thanks for all your comments. at this point in life I can not spend money or time on a restoration. My thinking was to see if there was any interest or value to the engine /drive train, so someone else might benefit. I am adding more pictures of engine and numbers. I do not see any numbers stamped above the water pump. The number I can find is on the passenger side bottom of engine, does that help? No title, have not tried to turn over engine.
newtojeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newtojeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2019 at 4:54pm
Thanks for all your comments. at this point in life I can not spend money or time on a restoration. My thinking was to see if there was any interest or value to the engine /drive train, so someone else might benefit. I am adding more pictures of engine and numbers. I do not see any numbers stamped above the water pump. The number I can find is on the passenger side bottom of engine, does that help? No title, have not tried to turn over engine.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2019 at 6:11pm
This is just my opinion, and opinions vary.  I wouldn't touch it as is for much over 250-300.  

Yes there are salvageable parts there... there's also transporting it, a ton of labor to take it apart, and a ton to dispose of.

If you did all the dirty work, and it was just picking up pieces:

If the engine doesnt spin it's a 50 dollar bill if it has at least 100 bucks in bolt ons (dizzy, oil filter, etc)...it's a crap shoot.

If the engine spins I've not paid over 100 for one yet with the head and pan on, still too big an unknown.  If I can get see with the head and pan off I'd bump another 50 if I liked what I saw.

The trans and transfer case are 50-75 apiece unknowns, the front and rear diffs about the same.

Prices vary if I'm looking for one "x" or just pickin', but what's working against you is that usually these old jeeps get parked cuz something broke, and then time eats them up... the something that broke is a little roulette wheel, lol.

That said you have (maybe) a radiator, windshield, seat frame(s), wheels, frame and who knows what else, but just by what you've shown I'm guessing 50% of those are iffy... be a lot easier to gauge in person.

It's an opinion.
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2019 at 7:09pm
The blueish green paint on the block and no stamping on the boss in front of the head might indicate this could be a Kaiser engine replacement. Is there a tag on the side of the block anywhere & does the head say Kaiser Supersonic? There is nothing wrong with this, however the purists might not want the engine as it may be from a Henry J. I sold one years ago to a gent that wanted a "running L head engine" and it came back to bite me with bad press and an unhappy JEEP owner.

Edited by 3-48s - 13 Apr. 2019 at 7:13pm
1945 CJ2A #10536
1948 CJ2A #176528 "Elmer"
1948 CJ2A #155970 "Gray Mule"
1948 CJ2A #155365 "Old Yeller" (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2019 at 7:15pm
At least sell the windshield--that's easy to remove--and the hood appears to be salvageable with some hammer work. Plug in a Sawzall and cut off whatever is left of the body bolts, pull off that wrecked tub, and see if the frame is bent. If not, this could be a restorable rolling chassis and drivetrain for someone on the 2APage. They ain't making these things any more, so please don't let it sink into mud...
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2019 at 7:36pm
That is one sad used up Willys!

'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2019 at 7:51pm
LOLNo, not a turdLOLLOL poor old Jeep probably smoked Camel non filters and drank Tennessee whiskey his entire life LOL lived a tough life....
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2019 at 8:44pm
Mbullism is mostly right. I would argue his prices some as they are a little higher around here, but he’s not too far off. If you don’t have time or inclination to work on it or part it out then you are better off to sell it as is to somebody else. If you have a little time to invest, you will make more money parting it out, but it’s more trouble. The engine will be your most valuable part, depending on condition. A locked up engine is generally $100 if complete. The last one I sold was free turning but not running for $200.
The engine serial number should be stamped on the flat part just above the water pump and in front of the head. You may have to do a little scraping to find it but it will help ID exactly what you have. 

The poor jeep is looking rough and used up, but he almost certainly has some parts still good to help another jeep run again. As others have said, they aren’t making any more of them. If you want to invest in another jeep in better condition, I would keep this one for a parts source. PM me if you decide to sell it, I may be interested in taking a look. 

Edited by NCtoy - 13 Apr. 2019 at 8:47pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>