Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Warn winch mount

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Warn winch mount
    Posted: 16 Apr. 2019 at 2:45pm
Kchildress requested some more photos of my Warn winch mount...so rather than hijack an existing thread, I decided to make a new one....

Here you go Kevin....my bumper mount looks different than yours...I do know that the frame rails on my Jeep have been boxed in and were repaired many many years ago...hope these help....:)

Larry

1949 CJ2A "Little Stinky Green" Kubota Diesel Powered
1970 Chevy C20 454 "Big Red"
1971 Chevy K20 6.2 Diesel "Pumpkin Wagon"
2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
kchildress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kchildress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2019 at 11:43am
Larry, Thanks for sharing the photos - these do help visualize a really clean installation.  

Everyone,  Over the next couple days I'll be installing a Warn M8000 winch atop the Warn 13910 mounting plate.  I remembered that I may have a couple obstructions to deal with - those being bolt and nuts heads on my bumper mounts/gussets, and a gusset on the frame that I assume to have been installed when the steering gear was moved to behind the bumper.  

Here's a photo of what I'm talking about - this was the best photo I could find while I'm traveling.  The bolt and nut heads should be easy enough to deal with.  Should be able to drill holes in the mount plate to fit over those.  I'm still not sure what function this gusset provides adjacent to the steering gear.

'46 2A #19122, AKA Flattie
Anderson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2019 at 1:11pm
I get a chuckle out of the floor covering under your jeep.  My jeep only rates a piece of cardboard.  LOL
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2019 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Anderson Anderson wrote:

I get a chuckle out of the floor covering under your jeep.  My jeep only rates a piece of cardboard.  LOL

Ha! LOL! LOL

Its an old runner type rug that my wife took out of the house and put in my garage. It classes up the joint. The Jeep has 2 full length drip pans under it! Smile
Larry

1949 CJ2A "Little Stinky Green" Kubota Diesel Powered
1970 Chevy C20 454 "Big Red"
1971 Chevy K20 6.2 Diesel "Pumpkin Wagon"
2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2019 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Lemield Lemield wrote:

Originally posted by Anderson Anderson wrote:

Ha! LOL! LOL

Its an old runner type rug that my wife took out of the house and put in my garage. It classes up the joint. The Jeep has 2 full length drip pans under it! Smile

Wow, I need to step up my game!  Clap
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2019 at 4:35pm
I also use this approach under 'Frankie'.....it came out of somebody's curb junkpile. Amazing the rugs some people just throw away. Maybe not nice enough in the house but under a Jeep in the garage it's great!

Mine is a full-size carpet....also makes it easy to back in the garage. Just line up on one edge and you have instant placement in the garage space.

I've posted about this before....all kidding aside, even a carpet remnant is SOOOOO much more comfortable than a cold concrete floor!

Watch those garbage piles!!!!

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
markcl52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markcl52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2019 at 4:16pm
I've seen folks mount winches in all sorts of different ways. Was wondering if it matters from a structural perspective, if you bolt through the horizontal surface of the frame rails or the vertical surfaces. Thoughts?
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2019 at 5:40am
Were I installing a winch, I would use both vertical and horizontal surfaces.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
kchildress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kchildress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2019 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by markcl52 markcl52 wrote:

...Was wondering if it matters from a structural perspective, if you bolt through the horizontal surface of the frame rails or the vertical surfaces.

I hit a little snag in this regard.  I had mentioned my steering gear being mounted behind the bumper.  There's just no way to install bolts horizontally through the frame.  But there are lots of edges to weld to!  
'46 2A #19122, AKA Flattie
 Post Reply Post Reply