Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Voltage Regulator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronAge52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Voltage Regulator
    Posted: 20 Apr. 2019 at 6:50pm
Well,  to my true form a I bought a AC Delco voltage regulator before I read the Manual. Manual says do not mix manufactures. Of course I have a Auto-Lite generator.
Has any one tried to mix manufactures and have any luck? should I just bite the bullet and buy a Auto-lite regulator?

gearwrencher
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2019 at 12:03am
If the regulator is the correct voltage,  amperage and polarity  for your generator  it should be just fine.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2019 at 12:11am
This morning I installed an SMP VR2 regulator on my jeep. It has the stock 6v generator. The new regulator works perfectly. I ordered it from O'reilly auto parts, shipped to my door.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2019 at 1:45am
Originally posted by WeeWilly WeeWilly wrote:

If the regulator is the correct voltage,  amperage and polarity  for your generator  it should be just fine.

Jim

They also have to be of the same circuit. Either both should be an ''A'' or both should be a ''B" circuit. The charging system will not work if the generator is an "A" circuit & the regulator is a "B" circuit and visa-versa.

If the generator's field is grounded, then the regulator should not have its field circuit grounded, it should be positive. If the generator's field is not grounded, then the regulator should not have its field circuit positive, it should be grounded.

I Do not recall which is an "A" circuit & which is a "B" circuit.

The bottom line is that if the generator is correct for a CJ-2a and the regulator is correct for a CJ-2a, then all will be well. Even if the generator is an Auto-Lite, and the regulator is a AC Delco. You should be OK.

Note: Now for the standard disclaimer; No warranties written or implied. 

IHTH, & does not confuse the issue, Cpt Logger.
 Post Reply Post Reply