Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ramsey winch-paint the drum?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ramsey winch-paint the drum?
    Posted: 21 Apr. 2019 at 2:10pm
Picked this up last fall +/-, it's obviously painted.  
Stripped, cleaned, repaired and trickle sourced parts over the winter in between other stuff.  Stripping the paint was a biatch, the black was laid over what almost certainly was an epoxy primer of some sort.  Aircraft stripper tickled it.
Question:  I'm going to leave the aluminum bright and let it go to gray, but the drum obviously takes a magnet.  The cable will be greased to a degree, but the worry is holding water in there.  How has everyone else treated the drums on the winches that they've revamped, and how has it heldup?

TIA

MB
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2019 at 4:39pm
I'm going to be getting to my Ramsey project this year and have the same questions.  I think they originally came painted black, but the gray may be appealing in that you don't have to worry about paint chipping, etc.  
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2019 at 10:32pm
You're in MA.  Unless you keep it out of the weather, it WILL rust if not painted. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2019 at 10:47pm
On the East Coast that winch might rust if kept inside. The humidity is crazy compared to what we have in the West. 
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2019 at 11:42pm
So funny this topic came up. 

I'm doing some maintenance on the crawler. One item was to replace the synthetic winch line. It's 12 years old. Anyway - decided to strip the winch today and get ready for Brown Santa to arrive on Tuesday. What a mess!!! It appears the syn line can trap moisture and has completely encrusted the drum with rust. I was able to rectify it. But believe me, I was just in time. 

Did some refurb and some POR 15 on the drum. So YES! I highly recommend painting the drum.....from a guy who just learned the hard way. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2019 at 2:00am
Well that seals it so to speak Smile.  I hope the winch ends up getting as little use as possible, but recent experience says it will get wet LOLConfused

I'm thinking several coats of epoxy appliance paint.  That stuff in white has held up well on painted wheels for me, the same in black oughta put up with years of non use Wink

Any other thoughts on options?  The POR is rugged, but a bit pricey...
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2019 at 10:51am
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Well that seals it so to speak Smile.  I hope the winch ends up getting as little use as possible, but recent experience says it will get wet LOLConfused

I'm thinking several coats of epoxy appliance paint.  That stuff in white has held up well on painted wheels for me, the same in black oughta put up with years of non use Wink

Any other thoughts on options?  The POR is rugged, but a bit pricey...

I've got more than enough POR left for you to complete the task, if you like. 

I assume you are using steel cable? That will be easier, in a way, to maintain. With my steel cable winch lines, I would spray them down periodically with WD or similar. It was pretty easy to keep things, including the drum oiled up and sans moisture. What you coat the drum with may be a little less critical than a drum that contends with moisture trapping synthetic line.
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2019 at 12:06pm
Much appreciated, NF, but I'll likely be done before I get out to see you... and you're right on the steel cable.  Glad you found what was hidden under your syn line in time to address it.  With my 2A's lifestyle the winch will get limited use, and out of sight out of mind is a recipe for sad face emojis Unhappy
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2019 at 12:59pm

Mike,

Have you considered having the drum plated to prevent rust?
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2019 at 2:21pm
I had not, Joe.  Plating is in the realm of the exotic in my little shop, lol, and I've always deferred to paint rather than send stuff out...

First pass think through though, what would be hard enough besides chrome to put up with the rasp of the cable?  I'm thinking from a maintenance go forward perspective.  If I scuff/scratch/gouge the paint I can effect repair without even removing the cable or winch.

Only other thing that had crossed my mind fleetingly is a pickling of sorts, like gun blue, but not sure how I'd pull that off and similar concerns for maintenance and durability.
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2019 at 2:31pm
Good ideas ! I’m thinking about Stainless Cable from Farmtek. Along with grease. It’s not that much more expensive than Steel.
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2019 at 3:26pm
Not sure about getting it galvanized, but as it aged it would gray up.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2019 at 4:39am
I must be the lazy one here, as I would have stopped stripping the drum as soon as I found out how hard the paint was. I would have painted right over the old paint & been done with that.

The old paint stood up to stripper, it will stand up to a little water from time to time. Just lube up the cable as you reel it in the first time. Then annually re-lube the cable after the wet season. 

Heck, as far as aesthetics are concerned, the cable will cover most of the drum when it is wrapped onto it, so it will look just fine. Then again, I have always been a "All go & no show" kind of fellow.

Note that much of the western coast is wet much of the time. It is nice to live in the high desert. Things do not rust as quickly here as they do in say, Taft Oregon or Astoria Oregon or Long Beach Washington or Vancouver B.C.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2019 at 5:01am
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

Things do not rust as quickly here as they do in say, Taft Oregon or Astoria Oregon or Long Beach Washington or Vancouver B.C.

Or in Beavercreek Ohio, for that matter...
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2019 at 12:16pm
Paint the drum.  I cleaned my Ramsey 200R off buffed it and clear coated the whole thing. It looks sweet.

'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2019 at 12:33am
I painted the drum on my Belleview during rebuild. I glued it to the ceiling for this shot

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2019 at 1:20am
Originally posted by jeeper50 jeeper50 wrote:

...I glued it to the ceiling for this shot...

Luv it! LOL but point well taken Thumbs Up
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2019 at 1:45am
Some things I don't worry about like winding the cable on in a straight even way is more of an issue with me. I use galvanized cable.
uncamonkey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>